Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Which fence is mine?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya. I wonder if someone can help me. I am second house in from the left and my left fence has blown down. My neighbours on my left have a brick wall to their left and a fence to the right (which is blown down). Who owns this fence? I think my neigbours think it is mine becuase the have neatly stacked the remains of the fence in my garden (bless um). I think the fence to my right is mine becuase there are some borbal looking things are the same as the borbal looking things around the fence that hides the bin out the front. I paid the 6 quid for the land registry plans etc but doesnt show anything. How can I find out who's fence this is?

Cheers, Chris.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The copy of the Land Register should state who owns which boundary.

If you have a copy of the Register as a pdf, attach it or PM it to me and I'll have a look.

If the register makes no mention of boundary ownership, then usually the boundaries should legally be treated as party boundaries, which means neighbours are jointly responsible. What normally happens is neighbours agree between them which boundaries they repair and which ones they don't, and in many cases its ended up that the property looks after and maintains the one to the right (when looking at it from the road).
    Uusually your fence is to your right if you were standing facing it from the house
    In my old house, and the current one my parents have we owned the entire boundary.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Uusually your fence is to your right if you were standing facing it from the house

Huh?

Front or back garden?
    Kermit I have sent you a PM. Its the back garden. So I stand at my back door and look out the fence I own is on my right? Chris
    I've sent you a PM about it too.

The actual rights will be set out in another document referred to in the Register. It's usually fair to assume that the right-side fence is the responsibility of the property if shared with neighbours, along with the boundaries facing onto a public road.

On your plan, next door face onto a public road, so they probably see the side boundary as either your responsibility or a joint one. For the sake of neighbourly duties it may well be worth going halves if it isn't going to be much money.

You could also ask your conveyancer for a copy of the document referred to in the register. They should really have given one to you when they reported on title to you- we do that as a matter of course when we send our Purchase Report to clients- although a lot don't.