Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

incorrect speeding fines

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so my boyfriend was driving to work this morning, he was in a crawling queue of traffic, he was behind a lorry, he says he was going at about 5 mph and the speed camera flashed him.

I swear i saw something on TV like yonks ago about this happening and the height of lorries confusing the camera and making it go off.

Anyway basically he rang the local police to explain and they didnt have owt to say.
Obviously depending on the picture it may have the queue of traffic in it too which will prove he wasn't speeding.

Has this happened to anyone? and if so how easy is it to sort out?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It could've been one of those cameras that does both sides of the road.
    Depends on how co operative and difficult the cops are feeling.

We queried one a while back and they just gave up.
    A speed camera actually takes two pictures - the white lines on the road are used to compare the distance travelled between the two images - which allows you to calculate the speed of the car.

So given what's happened to you - even if by some chance they attempt to charge you then, as you mention, their own photographs will show he wasn't speeding.

Doubt the local police will have any involvement until the fine is sent out - at that point you should be able to easily resolve it with them
    I think the onus is on the police to prove that he was speeding i.e. via the white distance/speed lines marked on the road. If he was indeed going at just 5mph, there is no way that the markings will indicate otherwise. I think he will be okay and will not even hear from them ...
    I just hope we don't hear anything, we are off on holiday for two weeks on wednesday, just something we didnt need to happen. grr
    One of the speed camera's near me has a life of its own - i've seen it take pictures when there hasn't even been a car on the road - it's taken a couple of me when i've been under the speed limit but i've never had a fine or anythign so I really wouldnt' worry unless of course he was lying to you and actually going really fast.
    dont the flashes in these have to discharge every now and then? maybe because its slow traffic round there it wouldnt have gone off for a while, so probably just discharging its flash. i wouldnt worry.
    Sure it wasn't for someone on the other side of the road?
    They check them against the lines before they send the fines out - so you won't hear anything if he was only doing 5mph. I doubt there was even an actual camera inside it - they always seem to go a bit haywire when theres no camera unit in them.