Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Loft Conversion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
More out of curiosity really but does anyone know how much a loft conversion costs?

I've done some googling and all of the websites i've found have no prices on them - just encourage you to get them round for a quote - but i've no idea of even a ball park figure to decide weather it's something I could even entertain the idea of doing - i'm thininking it could be in the region of £30K?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    depends how big the loft is, i would have though for boarding out, tidying up, maybe a skylight fitted, no more than £10k, its not a massive job really.
    I need to put in stairs though so i'm thinking it could be loads more expensive - but no where near the cost of moving - hummm
    hmm stair case will be more expensive, but still nowhere near £30k, and certainly cheaper that moving to one of those lovely houses you keep finding.
    I was under the impression that if you did it properly it could be quite expensive. A lot of people just board them out but then, when you come to sell it, you can't class it as an extra room - it's just sold as a boarded out loft - and so it doesn't add all that much value, despite increasing sellability. If you get planning permission and all the rest of it, I think that you need to add extra support and stuff to the floor and walls and whatever, which can be pricey but will add a lot on to the house.

Hum, I don't seem to have answered your question at all, do I?
    Arrghgh don't i've found another one I really want - its only £1.4 Million - so i just need to find and extra million somewhere - but its sooooo perfect and has amasing views.
    I know I seem to be coming up with the non legit answer a lot at the moment, but when we bought this house it had 'boarded out loft space' rather than living space (and when we did the extension we added to it) and it has always suited us fine.

Got no idea what it would cost though. Do any of them do free quotes? Would be a way to find out.
    For a new staircase and dormer windows it probably will be in the region of £30,000-£35,000, as its a lot of work.

My mum had an extension to her dormer bungalow (she extended a second dormer out) and it cost her about £5000, but that's not the hard work.
    aye i was thinking it would be quite a lot - what I ideally would love to do is change the shape of the roof and make it a massive proper room possibly with a roof terrace onto a lower roof at the back - but i'm thinking its all big bucks and probably won't get round the planning committee as its in an conservation area.

Hummmm
    If its a conservation area you'll need planning for any change to the exterior, whereas normally you'd get away without planning if the extra floorspace was less than a certain amount (I forget the exact size).

Even a velux window would need planning, and then building regs too. It will cost money, yep.
    Kermit wrote:
    If its a conservation area you'll need planning for any change to the exterior, whereas normally you'd get away without planning if the extra floorspace was less than a certain amount (I forget the exact size).

Even a velux window would need planning, and then building regs too. It will cost money, yep.

I think its a % of the house's size but i'm not sure. But yes I would expect big planning hastles as well - its not something i'm thinking of next week - but we have had a putting in an en-suite idea - i wonder if I need planning permission for that..... (I'm thinking not as long as it conforms to safety regulations...