Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

All time sporting legend ... who would you choose?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Im really into my sports and have been from a young age. I was wondering who people would choose as there all time sporting legend and why?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Being a golfer myself - for me it's Tiger Woods. I know alot of you will argue golf is not a sport etc, and that's fine everyone's entitled to their opinions etc, but yeah, it's this guy for me. It's alright picking a football player or some other team player - but that's just it, they've achieved greatness with the help of a team. People in singles sports, like woods or Ali for example have had to do it alone. I choose Woods, because he's just so far ahead of the rest in his particular sport that he's almost inhuman. He practices more than the rest, he's mentally tougher than the rest and he knew he was going to be the best since he was about 5 years old. I firmly believe by the time he retires he will have broken all records. Outside of all this, the man has helped bring golf to the masses and is helping to dispel the image of golf being a Toff's game. He's a true gentleman aswell. But above all he's an expert on winning more so than any other sportsman in the world. When he's on top of his game, he simply can't be beaten. That's why he's my greatest...
  • Options
    Pjs wrote:
    Im really into my sports and have been from a young age. I was wondering who people would choose as there all time sporting legend and why?

I think most would choose depending on the sport they watch. My all time sporting legend would be Ayrton Senna. Then again others would probably disagree and I say that because I am formula 1 fan.
  • Options
    I figured that might be the case but its always exciting to hear who is inspiring to other people. Like for me it would have to be Pippa funnel when she completed the Rolex tripple win at the three most challenging three day events in the world. For me its her commitment levels and overcoming challenges that we all have sometimes like self belief!
  • Options
    It's impossible to choose just one.

I'd say Muhammad Ali.
  • Options
    He's a legend that's for sure Kermit, but his arrogance turns me off a little. He wasn't wrong, but the way he predicted his own greatness was just a little too much.

Incredible though.
  • Options
    I'd say Lance Armstrong.

Consistantly pissed over the opposition (and the French) for so many years despite cancer and persistant drug allegations in a sport that is incredibly draining (emotionally and physically) but which no one really notices.
  • Options
    Mine would have to be Michael "Air" Jordan

basketball_7.jpg

Biggest sporting legend for me, and certainly the most amazing I have ever seen in the flesh... he was out of this world! :heart:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's impossible to choose just one.

I'd say Muhammad Ali.

:yes:

I don't know how anyone else could come close TBH
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Mine would have to be Michael "Air" Jordan

basketball_7.jpg

Biggest sporting legend for me, and certainly the most amazing I have ever seen in the flesh... he was out of this world! :heart:

I second you on this. He is indeed the biggest sporting legend for me too.
  • Options
    From all categories? That's really hard.

Magic Johnson?
    Paul Lewis?
    Cassius Clay?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    My personal sporting legand would be Le Tissier.

I've been a Saints fan for as long as I can remember, and for years watched him not only score incredible goals on such a regualr basis, but keep my team in top flight football at the same time. When he could have gone to some of the biggest teams in the world he chose to stay at Saints, that's some loyalty.

My favourite memory has to be the last Premiership game at the Dell .We were level with Arsenal 2-2, and in the dying minutes he was brought on and although suffering injuries managed to score the winner in the last minute of play. I don't think there are many Southampton fans that woudln't count him as their all time sporting legend.

Of course I recognise there are sportsmen and women who've achieved more and done it on a bigger stage, but me for me personally it has to Le God.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Braineater wrote: »
    I'd say Lance Armstrong.

Consistantly pissed over the opposition (and the French) for so many years despite cancer and persistant drug allegations in a sport that is incredibly draining (emotionally and physically) but which no one really notices.
    He was a close contender for me even though I'm not a cycling fan but I've decided on Alan Shearer.
  • Options
    Pjs wrote: »
    I figured that might be the case but its always exciting to hear who is inspiring to other people. Like for me it would have to be Pippa funnel when she completed the Rolex tripple win at the three most challenging three day events in the world. For me its her commitment levels and overcoming challenges that we all have sometimes like self belief!

She was fantastic managing that. It's a shame that Hoy didn't manage it as well as he did so well and is such a dedicated rider as well.

Also i admire Ali for not only his abilities but also his personality and intelligence.
  • Options
    George Best...for both footballing and drinking talent. :D
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    George Best...for both footballing and drinking talent. :D

I concur.

In terms of legend, noone has come close IMO. The amount of 'legendary' stories you hear about Best is unreal.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. "

George Best
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. "

:thumb:

"Maradona good; Pele better; George Best"

Coming from a fenian too. :D
  • Options
    Ali
  • Options
    I know next to nothing about sports (except maybe tennis), but one certainly worthy of notice is Nadia Comaneci.

ETA: Ha, look what I found :p :
    In 2005, Fox.com elected the Greatest Athletes in 150 years of Sports history, Nadia placed 4th in the final voting, ahead of Pelé and Mohammad Ali, and was the highest ranked female athlete

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadia_Comaneci
  • Options
  • Options
    while i could think of some amazing people in various sports, i think to be the all time sporting legend, you need to be well known by most people, and have an effect on a lot of them. there is national sporting heroes in every country, but many arn't really known outside that country/sport/era. eg; Garrincha, Teófilo Stevenson.

so people like Lance Armstrong and Nadia Comaneci and maybe George Best who are sort of only known within their fields would have to come second to people like Pele, Maradona, Michael Jordan and Ali.

Muhammad Ali for me.