Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

George Foreman

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My sister was shopping in Glasgow today, and decided to buy me a surprise gift - my first George Foreman!

What sorta stuff do people like to cook on these?

I've got some sausages that I'm gonna christen it with later, but gonna shop tomorrow for lots of stuff I can cook on it. :yum:

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Any meat is good.
  • Options
    I want one.

We have one at home. You can cook allsorts on it. Steak is good to cook on it though :thumb:
  • Options
    1983 got me one for Christmas about three years ago and it's still the handiest bit of kit I've got :yippe:

You'll feel the real benefit the next time you're hungover and fancy a fry up.

Please don't do what some absolute moron did at my work though. She thought you were meant to pour all the gunky stuff that goes in the drip tray over your food :lol:
  • Options
    HAHAHAHA. How funny.

Does anyone know where you can get these at a nice price?
  • Options
    They're great. I like to make cheese toasties in them. Also bacon...pretty much anything.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Please don't do what some absolute moron did at my work though. She thought you were meant to pour all the gunky stuff that goes in the drip tray over your food :lol:

"gunky stuff". Jesus, that's the best part :P
  • Options
    I use mine everyday, anything I'd usually grill goes in it, sausages, bacon, toasties, steak, chicken, kebabs.

Word of warning though, wash it before it cools.
  • Options
    Just don't try to do eggs.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    There's a technique to it. You have to level it up so that they don't drip off the bottom and join he gunk. I was sceptical but it definitely works.

I cook anything on it. My fave thing though is sausages wrapped in bacon - for a Sunday roast. Cook the sausages a little bit first, then wrap the bacon round and cook some more. Voila. Soooo much better than those salty pre-prepared ones you get.
  • Options
    HAHAHAHA. How funny.

Does anyone know where you can get these at a nice price?

Baby georges are about £15 in supermarkets, thats what i've got and you can fit two chicken breasts or two tuna steaks in at a time which is plenty for me and my boyf.
  • Options
    I got a baby george from woolwoths for about £11.

I don't have an actual grill so it's helpful for me, but I don't know why people would buy them when they already have a grill.

I like to make fish on it or veggie sausages but they are a bit of a pain as you have to keep rotating them. Also, if you marinade something the sauce tends to burn. I don't use it very often to be honest.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I don't have an actual grill so it's helpful for me, but I don't know why people would buy them when they already have a grill.
    The drip tray means that the fat is less likely to catch fire. It also saves on smoke. Two very important things for anyone in halls - grill pans used to set our alarms off all the time!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I don't know why people would buy them when they already have a grill
    My grill is in my oven so I cant use both at once, whatever Im georging usually has something in the oven to go with it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

They are wicked for eggs... they come with a set of feet you attach to the front and it levels the whole thing out so you can cook that kinda thing...

Then you can let it cook and lower the lid a bit to finish it off.
  • Options
    no way! awesome. I was just trying to make a really lame joke. But that's it, I'm buying me one of those.
  • Options
    If the drip tray actually worked, and collected the grease, they'd be great.

But it doesn't:(
  • Options
    My housemates did last year, what's broken with yours?
  • Options
    It doesn't just do meat. I've somtimes cook those giant mushrooms on mine .... yummy.
  • Options
    I got one for Christmas but have so far only cooked lamb chops on it - only thing I found was as all the fat ran off, it made the meat a little tasteless... it did have seasoning on it but perhaps not enough?

To do eggs, am I presuming you leave it open?
  • Options
    Swear by Foreman

Chicken breasts!
    and sliced courgette with some cracked pepper and garlic salt.

10 minutes...done and done.