Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thierry Henry...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
...never scores important goals in important games. He's a bottler.

Discuss :lol:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:

World Cup final, Champions League final. When it really matters he's often missing. Fair play to him for scoring in their champions league places push today though. We can just ignore those little insignificant finals after that.
  • Options
    :D is all I have to say about today's game...
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    World Cup final, Champions League final. When it really matters he's often missing.

Rather be "often missing" than never there.

If that's the criteria to be a word class player then remind me how many such finals did this Cantona bloke ever score in?

You choose to judge a player on two or three games (fuck, he was inches away from scoring in the CL final), while ignoring the massive contribution he's made in massive games over the last few years

A couple of screamers at Highbury against Man United, the goal that finished off Liverpool in the cup the other week, a hat trick against the Scousers at Highbury three years ago in a 4-2 win.

And I could have sworn he scored the winner against Brazil in the World Cup last year, but why let the facts get in the way of anything?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Rather be "often missing" than never there.

If that's the criteria to be a word class player then remind me how many such finals did this Cantona bloke ever score in?

You choose to judge a player on two or three games (fuck, he was inches away from scoring in the CL final), while ignoring the massive contribution he's made in massive games over the last few years

A couple of screamers at Highbury against Man United, the goal that finished off Liverpool in the cup the other week, a hat trick against the Scousers at Highbury three years ago in a 4-2 win.

And I could have sworn he scored the winner against Brazil in the World Cup last year, but why let the facts get in the way of anything?

Sorry, was there something in my post that you've read, that I didn't type? Where did I say anything about him not being world class? I simply said he often goes missing when it really matters. That's all. By the way I've always maintained Henry is world class. Doesn't prevent him from being an occasional bottler though.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Aimed at me for my past comments? I maintain that they apply.

If you think a league game when you are so far behind (still 12 points) is important then you obviously have different idea of what matters. Nothing hung on this game, it won't decide the title.

For the record, he's scored against United before you know.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

As an aside, because you seem fixated on this.

I still don't think that Henry is World Class (and it's only me around here wh owill argue it) but then I've never claimed that Cantona was either. For some reason you seem to assume that I would think that every decent United player is "world class" and they aren't.

Same with Henry. He good, but he's not World Class - the definition being that he wouldn't get in my starting eleven at the moment
  • Options
    If you think a league game when you are so far behind (still 12 points) is important then you obviously have different idea of what matters. Nothing hung on this game, it won't decide the title.

While I accept that he might not fit your definition as a world class player, if Man United don't win the title then they'll probably look back on today as the day that changed their season for the worse. If they got a result today then I could see them going on another almighty run.

Same for Arsenal, Liverpool might start hitting some form after yesterday so they needed to win to keep up with 2nd/3rd.

If he'd missed the header then I'd guess you and Addict would have used it to back up the "bottler" claims. Whatever way you look at it, it was a big game, Arsenal won and Henry did the business like he's done in many big games.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Man United don't win the title then they'll probably look back on today as the day that changed their season for the worse.

West ham game was worse. You expect a tough day at the Arse, but not at Upton park.
    If he'd missed the header then I'd guess you and Addict would have used it to back up the "bottler" claims.

No, why would I? Didn't mention that he failed in many other games when we've played...
    Whatever way you look at it, it was a big game

'Spose it was a big game for Arsenal, judging by their reaction at the end - you'd think they'd won the league. But it wasn't as important for United by any means. We're still 6 clear at the top and still 12 clear of these supposed rivals.
  • Options
    All I know is he owns in every Fifa game :D:heart:
  • Options
    'Spose it was a big game for Arsenal, judging by their reaction at the end - you'd think they'd won the league. But it wasn't as important for United by any means. We're still 6 clear at the top and still 12 clear of these supposed rivals.

True, but if you'd won today then I couldn't see past you for the title. Chelsea lost and are having a bit of a wobble by their standards - I'd see that as a chance missed to put some real daylight at the top of of the table at a time where you should really be looking to build up momentum into the final third of the season.

We'll probably only be able to tell how big a game it was come the end of the season.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    True, but if you'd won today then I couldn't see past you for the title. Chelsea lost and are having a bit of a wobble by their standards - I'd see that as a chance missed to put some real daylight at the top of of the table at a time where you should really be looking to build up momentum into the final third of the season.

We'll probably only be able to tell how big a game it was come the end of the season.

I'm a little disappointed that we didn't take the chance to go nine clear but it wouldn't have even been an issue had we done the Hammers a few weeks ago. That was the game which we should have won, this one isn't.
  • Options
    I think it was two good results for the Premiership.

Scum haven't extended their lead at the top and although still a way behind Liverpool n the Arse have closed the gap a little bit.
    I'm not too bothered who wins the title to be honest, think i'd even prefer scum to win it over Chelski but I'm hoping now for a little stumble from the scum, Chelsea keep mis-firing and that we get Liverpool and Arsenal back in the race. If we get that we could be in for the best finish to the Premier for quite a few years I reckon, doubt it will happen though lol.
  • Options
    I too would probably prefer United to win over Chelsea. Though some friends of mine say that's only because I've forgotten how unsufferable London-based United fans are (and I must say there's been a rather dramatic reduction of people wearing United shirts in London pubs in the last two years- I wonder why... :chin: ).

But the bottom line for me is that I don't think Chelsea winning 3 Premierships in a row based solely on some dodgy bloke coming out of nowhere and showering the club with ludicrous amounts for money is good for the game.

Plus I want Mourihno to leave Chelsea. I think he'd be good for Real Madrid- if only because he's hated sooooo much at Barcelona :D
  • Options
    This won't do too much to dent United's chances tbh. I won't begrudge them winning the league. Not that it doesn't feel good doing the double over them. ;)

It's building up to Arsenal ending Chelsea's title chances once and for all on May 5th. It's too good to savour. :yes:
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    Not that it doesn't feel good doing the double over them. ;)

Does it annoy you when you see how they played yesterday, and how they reacted at the end, that they haven't show the same commitment and desire in previous games in the season?

Would me.

It was the main annoyance that i've had about United in the past couple of years...
  • Options
    Does it annoy you when you see how they played yesterday, and how they reacted at the end, that they haven't show the same commitment and desire in previous games in the season?

Would me.

It was the main annoyance that i've had about United in the past couple of years...

Oh absolutely. The draws at home have pissed me off more than anything. I know it's sounds like a stuck record but the team is young and still learning I suppose.

I don't think we played as well as we could have yesterday until the last 15 minutes or so. I think any Gooner would've taken a draw after Rooney scored.

The pieces seem to be falling into place ready for next season.

Although I said that last season.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote: »

I don't think we played as well as we could have yesterday until the last 15 minutes or so.

Incidentally, the same period when you started hoofing long balls on top of our defence - something your home crowd are often all too keen to chastise the visiting opposition about.
  • Options
    :sour: Sour fucking grapes anyone??

Makes me laugh like fuck all scum moaning and having little swipes, you lost get over it!! Your still going to win the league more than likely, so take the defeat with a bit of dignity FFS.
    Gooners have done the double on you but of course it was "only a big game for Arsenal" :lol: even though if scum had won it would have basically being league over but no wasn't a big game :rolleyes:

Always hated scum from my younger days when I was very young and had coins thrown at me in the Family Stand at Elland road by the "respectfull" scum, but comments on these boards by the fans just justify my hate for them to tell you truth.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Incidentally, the same period when you started hoofing long balls on top of our defence - something your home crowd are often all too keen to chastise the visiting opposition about.

It shows they can "mix it" now- they always used to get slaughtered for playing pretty football then went nowhere.

If I was a Man Utd fan I'd be worried about how knackered the defence looked in the last ten, especially Evra.
  • Options
    you lost get over it

I think that the comments make the point that we have got over it because we didn't see it as a big game because the result didn't matter. Had Chelsea won, or had the gap been closer then it would have been a big game... it wasn't, like you say we're still clear, so why should we be worried.

My comment about the rasenal reaction was to show that to them it was a big game, but then every game is vital at the moment if they are to catch us. Different demands.
    even though if scum had won it would have basically being league over but no wasn't a big game

Gap with Liverpool and Arsenal is too big now, IMHO. The Chelsea game will be the big one - even at nine point with so many games left they could catch us...
  • Options
    Gap with Liverpool and Arsenal is too big now, IMHO. The Chelsea game will be the big one - even at nine point with so many games left they could catch us...
    EVERY game is massive when your at the top of the league IMHO, you've being lucky that everytime you've slipped up so have Chelsea. They could have easily caught and passed you by now if they'd have shown the same kind of form as the past two years, your just LUCKY they haven't IMHO.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It shows they can "mix it" now- they always used to get slaughtered for playing pretty football then went nowhere.

I agree. You'll notice my comment didn't criticise the team for changing their style and playing long balls. I just pointed out that, in this instance, it's almost certainly changed the game in their favour, which is interesting because had it been the away team using the same approach, the Arsenal fans would have crucified them.

I don't think anyone was having a swipe, but even if they were who gives a fuck? So what if it's claimed Arsenal treated it like a cup final. The way they celebrated you'd be forgiven for thinking so. L'puss, you seem to get so wound up when United fans defend their team or when there's a bit of banter.

It's not sour grapes to play down a defeat which is no more important than any other league game. It's being realistic and looking at the bigger picture. The game was a disappointment, but over last few years we've always won these, and then ended up losing to teams like Middlesborough and Blackburn, which has ruined us. This year though, we're winning more of what we're expected to win, and we're in a far better postion as a result. The Arsenal game was just as important as the Watford game next Saturday.
  • Options
    EVERY game is massive when your at the top of the league IMHO, you've being lucky that everytime you've slipped up so have Chelsea. They could have easily caught and passed you by now if they'd have shown the same kind of form as the past two years, your just LUCKY they haven't IMHO.

And THEY'RE lucky we didn't extend our lead at Reading, or at West Ham, or at Newcastle. It works boths ways. You can't just say we've been lucky. For a while the only reason they were in touch was because of some last minute goals out of nowhere.
  • Options
    It's not sour grapes to play down a defeat which is no more important than any other league game. It's being realistic and looking at the bigger picture.
    Yes but the way you scum fans are talking and what I've wrote in my post above yours, is your making out it was only a big game for Arsenal, when EVERY game you have is a big game when your at the top of league
  • Options
    And THEY'RE lucky we didn't extend our lead at Reading, or at West Ham, or at Newcastle. It works boths ways. You can't just say we've been lucky. For a while the only reason they were in touch was because of some last minute goals out of nowhere.
    Yes I agree so these are ALL big games for scum which they lostm so why make out it was only a big game for Arsenal is beyonnd me. I
    'm getting dizzy from going round in circles hehe
  • Options
    Yes I agree so these are ALL big games for scum which they lostm so why make out it was only a big game for Arsenal is beyonnd me. I
    'm getting dizzy from going round in circles hehe

There's no point really.

It was big game a) because it's worth 3 points, as is any league game (to disagree with that would mean that there's no big games for Man United between now and the end of the season, b) it's one of the hardest games they had left away to one of the big four, to win would have been a bigger psycological win than say the West Ham game, mainly because of the quality of the opposition, and c) Chelsea lost last weekend, so it was a great chance to build a bigger gap at the top.

Man United fans are saying it's not a big game because they lost, simple as.
  • Options
    Yes I agree so these are ALL big games for scum which they lostm so why make out it was only a big game for Arsenal is beyonnd me.

I didn't make that out!

I claimed you could have been forgiven for thinking it was a cup final, the way the Arsenal players celebrated. I actually think it was a more important game for us than them, because they're only fighting for Champions League places which they'll surely get, but we're fighting for a title. My point was that, whilst it was an impoartant game, it's still no more important than any other league game, therefore no need for hysteria. If any game holds more importance than others it's the Chelsea game as you get the chance to damage your rival whilst also picking up points.
  • Options
    It was a more important game for Arsenal than it was for United, of course it was. But it was important for United too (did you see Fergie's face :lol: ), but in terms of the title its not that significant.

If Man Utd had held on at Newcastle and Everton hadn't been mugged by Drogba it'd be different. But as I've said before, if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bus.
  • Options
    He looks very good, but I've never seen him play football ;)
  • Options
    Yes I agree so these are ALL big games for scum

Nah, just another league game. There are very few BIG games really, three at the moment, Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea (but only because they are challengers) that's it.

The next Champions League game is bigger that that Arsenal one was.