Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Your First Job? Worst Job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
weve all had jobs that suck. its inevitable.

so, what were your first jobs, everyone?

what were your worst ones?

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    KFC first and worst
  • Options
    First - paper round, obviously!

Worst - probably my current part-timer, working in a DIY store and it is very, very boring. I have absolute no knowledge of DIY so answering customers' queries is a tad difficult. Plus I can't do any birdwatching as the average customer is an obese, bald, scruffy male covered in plaster and mud.

Best - club promoter, plenty of bird-watching! Free drinks, free entry into clubs even when I'm not working. Chatting up girls and getting completely lashed is actually part of my (unwritten, obviously) job description and I like to think I'm good at this job! :D
  • Options
    First and Worst- Blimpies. they treated me like dog shit.

they made me do everything when the boss went away, and then bitched at me when it wasnt done good enough.

i swear to god, i swept the floor 9 times, and all Ina (co-worker) said was "no, you do it like this" and then swept it better than i did.

if youre so good at it, why dont you do it, and ill go clean tables like im good at.

it was rediculous and i got turned off to food service work by it
  • Options
    First - Poundland: I took a hell of a lot of stick for that when I was in sixth form. I also got paid a hell of a lot more than my mates though so could soon shut them up.

Worst - Doing telesales when I was at Uni. There's only so many times that you can put up with Scottish people telling you to 'Fuck off' because you're English and they won't buy off an English company. It didn't matter how many times I told them that it was a Scottish company, they refused to believe me. I lasted a grand total of two weeks.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Had the typical shitty paper round till June 02 then worked in Europcar call centre since. Not paticularly superb but I'm still there nearly 5 years later so there must be something right with it...
  • Options
    My first job was working as a Christmas temp in BHS- it was awful and I hated it. It was all about pushing their in store card to little old ladies who wouldn't be able to afford the extortionate interest rate which made me feel terrible :crazyeyes

The worst job I had was probably when I spent 2 months working in a factory called Borstlap in the Netherlands. I was 17 at the time and was paid 3.03€ (in the region of £2.10!) per hour for standing and packing screws and bolts and door knobs and all sorts of things like that into little boxes which I then had to weigh and carry over to a conveyor belt. I felt like my brain was wasting away. 8.30-5.00 5 days a week- woehoe! :p Was good for my Dutch though because most of the other workers couldn't speak much English- it was just the pay that was really demoralising!!
  • Options
    Worst would be pot washer ata restaurant ..... you werent allowed to eat any of the left over food (I dont mean scrapings off plate)! How suckie is that?

I can still remember the minging smell of the washing up liquid. Good old D12:sour:
  • Options
    first job = paper round from when i was 13-16. then i got a 'proper' job working in the shop who i delivered the papers for on a saturday morning. then i got a job at tesco and i've been there ever since (5 years!).

part time while i'm still in education i like to add! ;)
  • Options
    First job was a paper round, £4.90 a week, for 6 days work (9 hours work in total).

Worst job was probably being a receptionist. Wasn't worth the money for the hassle I put up with, and I spent most of the time bored, playing solitare on the laptop, and it was a glorious summers day outside most of the time.

Best job has probably got to be working in a Coffee Bar. Not so much the job, but the good laugh I had doing it, we did nothing right, and were just left to it. Wasn't overly bad money (£3.50 p/h) at 15 either, considering the minumum for a 16 year old was £3.00. I also met my current boyfriend there. But then, this job now in Boots is so brilliant that it's got some stiff competition. :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    First job - working in my local chippy. Twas an alright little job and it got me through school, financed a trip abroad and I saved up for university.

Worst job - nearly 2 years ago when I worked at HobbyCraft. It was a horrible job where management was unorganised, you got into trouble for other people's mistakes and just an all round unpleasant place to work. Only there 3 months though before I became a scummy student again :p
  • Options
    First job: Swimming lessson helper. Pay was fairly rubbish but it was easy work, put on a swimsuit and t shirt and spend the next 3 hours in the learner pool with the little kids doing swimming lessons and picking them up when they panic.

Worst job was probably a couple of the 4 hour shifts I did helping in main pool lessons. How I avoided getting hypothermia I will never know.

Other than odd shifts I haven't really had a worst job, bloody awful shifts/duty managers at times but then the next one would be fine.
  • Options
    My very very first job was delivering the shopper (like a news paper, but only full of ads) though I wouldn't really consider it mine as I'd just go take a nap and myd ad ended up doing it all.

Then I worked at a store called ShopKo, folding clothes.

To be honest, every job, but the one I had where I worked at home has sucked pretty equally. All dozen and a half of them. Though my current one isn't to bad. Could pay a bit more though :\
  • Options
    First job was in the kitchens at some pub, suited me at the time, wasn't too bad I guess.

Worst job is debatable, mabye a couple of the waiting on jobs where it has been to bitchy to bare sometimes.
  • Options
    Paper round was my first job, sundays only mind. First proper job was working in evans.

Worst job? The one I did before this one (same group of companies, mind) crap management, crap hours, stressful and awful.
  • Options
    First job? I was 15 and was a waitress in my parent's friends pub.

Worst job? This lame call centre I worked at. It was hell. I lasted 3 shifts before I ended up quitting.
  • Options
    First job was at a toy shop. I got paid £5 an hour to play with cars for a total of...er...14 hours every weekend for 2 months :D.

Worst job? I dunno really. I've enjoyed all three of them. The end of my last job (Tchibo), because I just felt like I couldn't do anything right, and the beginning of this one at McDonalds, because I felt so degraded :o.
  • Options
    First job was a waitress. That was probably the worse, even though i enjoyed it slightly.
  • Options
    First job was data-input in a scummy office. Hated it.

Worst job was probably the 4 weeks I managed at a debt management firm. What a bunch of jokers.
  • Options
    First Job - Car washer when i was about 14

Worst Job - Car asher when i was about 14 :p

Best job - Archivist at Herstmonceux Castle or Bar manager in a fuck club ;)
  • Options
    my first job was my paper round, i thought i got paid rubbish until i was people got alot worst than me on here. i got £3.20, but only had to do it once a week.

my worst job was handing leaflets advertising mobile phones, was awful. Had to stand in the rain and get abuse from people all day. I always have to take leaflets now from people in the street or i feel guilty, even if im not interested in what they are giving
  • Options
    Fist job- Canvassing area's for a Karate Company. :banghead:

Worst Job- Canvassing area's for a Karate Company. We had to canvass a lot of bad area's in our region. Chapeltown, Burmantofts, Seacroft, Little London etc. Those who live in Leeds will at least of heard of these area's. Some people who don't live in Leeds may have heard of these area's.

Best Job- Working in a warehouse driving a forklift truck. :)
    £6.00 an hour to drive around having a laugh, doing doughnuts, playing pranks on people (management mainly :lol: ) and having brew and cig breaks.
  • Options
    Would you do it?

First Job: Paper boy

Second Job: Tearing up cardboard boxes and putting them into an incinerator at the local Spar. Got the sack.

First proper job: Worked in a record shop

Current job: Roadsweeper - but is it my worst job? Well....
  • Options
    First job - Sales assistant River Island

Worst job - checkout operator at safeway. It brought a whole new meaning to the word boredom. Even if there was no customers we just had to sit there. It was mind numbing
  • Options
    First job was in Marks & Spencer where I was stocking up frozen chickens at 6am to the Macarena.

Worst job? Had a shitty time in Barracuda towards the end, it was cliquey, unhygenic, they were dealing drugs and the staff were abusive. I've also worked in a pub where I wasn't really accepted because I wasn't one of them... Though the worst part of that was cleaing pee-salt out of the men's urinal (I was a cleaner too). Or the frozen chicken factory.

To be fair though, as long as I'm treated well by the staff I don't mind what I do. I've done all sorts for pay... Picking litter, working in Burger King, being a cleaner, bar work, retail and so on.

I currently work on campaigns to raise environmental awareness for students. I actually quite enjoy it even if I do work low down... It's my first step on the ladder to going in to campaigning and working with NGO's, so I'm really chuffed with it.
  • Options
    Heyoka wrote: »
    First and Worst- Blimpies. they treated me like dog shit.

LOL. What the heck is Blimpies? Please tell me it's not a fast food restaurant, what an unattractive name... though at least they're not bullshitting I suppose.

My first job was waitressing, which I loved.

Worst was definitely working in a club in the deepest, darkest outskirts of Manchester. Same people every weekend, loads of trouble at kicking out time every night and that's not even to mention the raging perverts, immensely shady characters (and not in the good sense) and VickyPollardalikes who liked to dish out a death threat instead of a tip. Nice going.
  • Options
    First and worst: Ströck. It's a bakery. I'd have to get up at 4.30 and that's just because I wasn't adult back then. Otherwise I'd have to get up at 3.00 - 3.30 and take the nightline to my work place :S

Once you are there you work like a fucking animal until your shift ends and you are practically dead.
  • Options
    I've had two jobs, the first was working as a butchery assistant in the Co Op. It was alright, but a lot of routine involved although the craic was great a lot of the time. Breeding ground for scandal though - idle minds and all that.

I don't know if it's better or worse than my current job though - on the one hand you get to perform for the public which is fun, but on the other there's tons of superfluous paperwork and bureaucracy bullshit.

Neither of these jobs are what I really want though.

Butchers assistant! :yuck:
  • Options
    My first job was pushing trollies around Tesco's car park, the best job I've had so far was as a criminal paralegal. The worst was as a remortgage conveyancer, but that was more because of the working conditions than anything to do with the job.

I've just got a new job as a CLS legal advice worker, and I can't wait to start :yippe:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    First full time job was a green keeper and I was 18 and it was probably my favourite. It just didn't pay well enough.
    Worst was probably factory job repairing monitors.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well after paper rounds my first job was the Lighting department on Saturdays at BHS - Worst job, cleaning the bits out of very nasty machines on a Turkey 'farm'