Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Remortgaging

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As some of you may remember I technically own a house along with my two sisters who are 12 and 9.

I plan to stay in the house for the time being. The house does need work though, so I need some advice about remortgaging.

The house needs new windows (God do they need double glazing!) for noise prevention, insulation and security as the old ones are shite.

The house also needs various bits of upgrading. Aloing with this, I would like to buy a car.

How would it work if I remortgaged for say £5k for a car and £6k for improvements? Obviously £5k would charge to my third of the value but I intend to charge say two thirds of the £6K to my sisters' third of the house. Would I be able to prove that the £6k went to improving the house?

I know I'm not putting myself across as clearly as I'd like to and this has turned into more of a "Tell me what I should do" thread but the whole proof thing is me thinking of the worst case scenario.

So, maybe your two cents on the proof thing and the remortgaging advice, please?

Comments

• Options
    I cant advice you as I dont know anything about remortgaging, but one of the companies I work for is a mortgage brokers and can put you in touch with someone. Best person to speak to is an Indepentent Fiancial advisor.
  • Options
    What has proving anything got to do with the price of fish? I'm really not sure who would care..
  • Options
    What I mean is.. If you extend out a mortgage, then you take on that debt yourself. If you later need to sell up, you'd be responsible for discharging it.

So it'll all come out in the wash.
  • Options
    Freeallangels - Yeah,if you could that would be good of you (I'm in Scotland though)

Mist - I'm thinking worst case scenario when it comes to selling the house and the money is split if my sisters' mum tries to get out of paying a share of the improvement fees.
  • Options
    Hmm. Yeah. Best get one of those financial dudes to sort you something.
  • Options
    Scottish law is different to what I know, so seek legal and financial advice.

The best bet, as far as I can see, is to take out a personal loan rather than a secured loan, and draw up a deed with your sisters to ensure that you reap the rewards of your additional input into the property. In England that's certainly the case, ensuring that the money you put in is returned to you, but in Scotland it may well be different.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding stuff here, but if a "mortgage" is what I think it is, then won't it (possibly) endanger the house's ownership? Like, things can go totally shit, and then the house would belong to someone else (like the bank)?
    If that isn't so, ignore this post. But if I'm right, it doesn't matter if your sisters aren't adults, they should have a say into this if there's a possibility they might lose the house because of a mistake you might make.
  • Options
    If you do go for double glazing, it might be worth your while getting a job as a double glazing agent, whacking a nice 40% discount for yourself and getting the kickback of commision too. dunno bout remotgaging though