Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Vista thread...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Oh my, what is the NSA? sounds like something to do with the law!

:lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    Is there an upside to Vista??
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Is there an upside to Vista??
    As far as I know, it can boot. And it lets you run (some) programs. Things that even the worst OS ever (if Vista isn't it) can do.
  • Options
    7 Days to go!
  • Options
    As far as I know, it can boot. And it lets you run (some) programs. Things that even the worst OS ever (if Vista isn't it) can do.

Vista the worst OS ever? I know most people hate Microsoft, but Windows has been and most likely will continue to be the cornerstone of personal computing (for the rest of this decade anyway) since well, personal computing began. I know linux fanboys say it's free and wonderful, but it is much more difficult to set up and learn to use than Windows.

Anyway, I feel too ill to argue, so will just say that if any of you approached it with an open mind rather than high expectations you would see a different product.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Vista the worst OS ever? I know most people hate Microsoft, but Windows has been and most likely will continue to be the cornerstone of personal computing (for the rest of this decade anyway) since well, personal computing began. I know linux fanboys say it's free and wonderful, but it is much more difficult to set up and learn to use than Windows.

Very well said!!!:thumb:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Anyway, I feel too ill to argue, so will just say that if any of you approached it with an open mind rather than high expectations you would see a different product.
    The parentheses part was a joke.
    And I'm not "approaching" it with high expectations, in fact they're very low. I'd simply be expecting it to let you manage your computer the way you see fit, and not the way M$ sees fit. And it fails.
  • Options
    The parentheses part was a joke.
    And I'm not "approaching" it with high expectations, in fact they're very low. I'd simply be expecting it to let you manage your computer the way you see fit, and not the way M$ sees fit. And it fails.

Bear in mind I did feel bad earlier. My computer is weird. The case isn't earthing, so if I touch it I get a shock. But the back of the case is. I have an antec p180, so the case side is like so:

| == |
    s pla s

where the s is steel and pla plastic, so the steel on the outside is completely insulated. So how it's picking up a charge I don't know. God what am I on about, offtopic or what. I'm thinking electrocution could have made me feel ill.

Well, manage your computer the way you want to? Well to do that in the strictest sense you'd have to write your own OS. Even linux which I believe is the most 'adjustable' OS in it's many different flavours, sets out rules which you must adhere to.

The reason microsoft often makes things stricter is to make it more simple. Now the main problem with Vista, is that it will be buggy to start. But that will be fixed eventually.

So the next problems - having to phone microsoft / communicate with them to let them know your product is legit. Well, understandably this annoys people. But, considering that Microsoft sees piracy as the biggest source of leakage out of their profit stream you can't blame them for addressing it. Want to change your system? That's fine. People cite that in the EULA you can only have it installed on one system. But this only applies to the OEM version. (which are also fixed to one version of the OS, rather than multiple)

I don't think it will tell Microsoft that you are running cracked software, unless it is cracked Microsoft software. Having been playing about with Office '07 beta, what it will do is periodically call home to check the key is valid. Again, another measure against piracy.

Signed drivers are a good thing from a tech pov. Whilst devs have to pay a fee to have their stuff signed, it stops driver conflicts which are one of the main causes of system instability. Again, making the user more detatched from the operating system in theory reduces the chance of problems.

At the end of the day it is a product, served up on a platter by Microsoft in it's entirety without partial use allowed. If people don't like it, they can pick up the next product, many linux distributions are perfectly feasable as a state of the art OS (although you'll have to learn how to use it, I still don't understand mounting drives, even when I use dos and windows 3.1 you just typed the drive letter). Windows XP, Windows 2000 and even Windows 98 (lets ignore ME) are still available and probably cheaper than ever. One of my friends runs windows server (2000 or 2003, not sure). There's a lot of choices out there and I think that since Microsoft is normally seen as the main distributor it gets a lot of slack.

The main reason I use Windows and not really much else, is simply because a) it works, with 99.99% of things I throw at it and b) I love my games and so far on the horizon there doesn't seem much hope for games on linux :(
  • Options
    Out of all of that the bit where you said "lets forget ME" made me crack up laughing.

You have many good points and at the end of the it will be microsoft who will always win because their product is World wide, Even people in the tinyest village probley use a Version of microsoft!

Why?

Because they have been there from the start
  • Options
    If it was such a noble reason for putting these restrictions, then they'd release an "advanced" version for people who know enough about computers and wouldn't need to be taken by the hand, or offer a way to disable all that "protection".
  • Options
    Advancing = Restriction

Id consider using vista but id want the 64bit version , like i said , ive had the 32bit one but i want to find out if using the 64bit version would really make a difference
  • Options
    If it was such a noble reason for putting these restrictions, then they'd release an "advanced" version for people who know enough about computers and wouldn't need to be taken by the hand, or offer a way to disable all that "protection".

As for the counter-piracy measures, you can't really fault them looking at the sheer piracy of windows and office. :angel:

For the other measures - like requiring driver signing. I kind of agree with you. Whilst allowing them to be unsigned could cause difficulties, an advanced user may need to use very specific hardware that doesn't have xp drivers. But to be fair, most IT people who have specific needs use linux as they can rewrite it all the way to the kernel if need be. At the end of the day it's up to Microsoft because it's their product. That doesn't mean we have to like it though. I could pick fault with Microsoft, but a lot of what they do makes sense, if you think from their point of view. Everyone is annoyed at them because they hide all the kernel info so that programs can only run 'on top' of windows, and hence provide limited functionality (for example, Microsoft integrating their virus scanner into the operating system, meaning others couldn't 'butt in' to help defend the system). But Microsoft do this to protect their intellectual property, mainly.

Windows is, and will continue to be, a 'pick up and play' operating system. It has a much more intuitive user interface, and much smaller learning curve than any of the competitors. And also, most apps are designed for Windows, so it's the only choice for me unfortunately.

However, Microsoft are holding back innovation. They have the best computer scientists in the world and are desiging things we can't think about, but they only release enough to stay ahead of the competition. That way they always have a buffer so they can prove they're the best and everyone comes back for me. Vista was going to have a lot more features, but surprise surprise it only has a few more than the current linux distributions (3D interfaces). They cut it out and will put them in to the next one.

Windows, and Office, are just big cash cows that get refurbished every few years and every so often packed with new features in order to make sure people continue to use them. Not that I'm having a go, they are by anyones standards capable products, it's frustrating however that they are all cut down, because Microsoft would make no more money by giving us the juicy bits that they can save for the next edition of Windows.
  • Options
    Wops! forgot to add

6 Days to go
    i'll now use font
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Wops! forgot to add

6 Days to go
    i'll now use font

I dred to think what happens to this guy when it's released.

Coolme, being an out and out Microsoft Fan isn't Cool you know!
  • Options
    Keeping the thread alive
  • Options
    MS Don't win for me :P I've just bought a mac mini to go with my macbook. heh ;-P
  • Options
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    MS Don't win for me :P I've just bought a mac mini to go with my macbook. heh ;-P

You've gone mac-insane :|
  • Options
    Nash wrote: »
    I dred to think what happens to this guy when it's released.

i'm thinking he'll cream in his pants
  • Options
    5 Days to go!
  • Options
    can already get "business edition" for about a tenner off MSDN, awesome.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »

Alright for those with an MSDN subscription!
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    i'm thinking he'll cream in his pants

Haha more then likely.

I will not be purchasing Vista as im happy with XP, I dont want to pay through the roof for something that has bugs and is resource hungry. When i have the money and the time to build a new desktop which is far down the line, maybe then i might consider it after tweaks have been made and im aware of all the bad points.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Alright for those with an MSDN subscription!

can't you get it a subscription through your uni?
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »

You must have cash to flash:chin:

Ain't the MSDN thing £300+?

*coughs* Do you accept Paypal :flirt:
  • Options
    actually its nothing like that at all. I get a years subscription to it through my uni.
  • Options
    :hyper: I take it you Study IT or someting?

*cough* *cough* Paypal okay:D
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I was at the Community Launch at Microsoft Campus yesterday. Had a good day, but the good bits were more about Outlook and Exchange 2007