Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Question about houses.

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kangoo wrote:
    Ah do you think it would go for a lot more?
    Watch 'Homes Under the Hammer' - that should give you a good idea about properties at auction. You can get good bargains but often there are hidden complications. As Kermit said, you can't inspect the property properly before committing to purchase which is always a worry.
    Ah, a lot of them seem to be going for similar prices to that one on auction - but we wouldn't buy on auction anyway

Kermit, you're right - you don't get a lot for your money...but the way I see it, we're paying £550 a month now for a small flat that we can't even live in without pissing off the landlord. It only consists of 4 rooms, two of which are tiny and grotty. Paying £400-550 a month on a 1 or 2 bedroom house that we can make our own and will be bigger than this flat anyway makes sense, and we'll be investing not just pissing our money down the drain on a flat that we don't even like living in :grump:
    Oh definitely, that's why we bought our house. Our mortgage payment is £555, (but we're making overpayments as we have a bit of spare cash), which isn't much more than we were paying for a flat, and at least we don't have to beg permission from some tight-arsed infertile Scottish cunt to change a light bulb.
    It definatly makes sense, just getting the initial cash together will be hard :(
    kangoo wrote:
    It definatly makes sense, just getting the initial cash together will be hard :(

Yeah, that's the big problem. Especially when prices are said to be rising so quickly (I'm sure it's not the same rate everywhere, though).

I suppose it's a case of cutting back for a few years. You'll need to find a way of not getting bored of baked beans/other cheapie food, though.
    Turnips are also economically viable ;)
    g_angel007 wrote:
    £60/week? Well done. Not a single person I know could live on that.

plenty do
    katralla wrote:
    plenty do

Yes - just not people I know. Which is what I said.
    well, I'd like to think they could if they had to...
    katralla wrote:
    well, I'd like to think they could if they had to...

Perhaps.
    maybe.

whoever suggested it- bah! now I keep reading 'question about horses' too
    A couple should be able to live on £50 a week. Even with London prices it shouldn't be much more.

Of course your idea of what a "necessity" is increases with salary- if you're on £60,000 a year you get a whole lot more "essential" luxuries for your money. Which is fine, you earn them, but it does skew views somewhat.

We live very comfortably as a couple on half that salary.
    Kermit wrote:
    A couple should be able to live on £50 a week. Even with London prices it shouldn't be much more.

Of course your idea of what a "necessity" is increases with salary- if you're on £60,000 a year you get a whole lot more "essential" luxuries for your money. Which is fine, you earn them, but it does skew views somewhat.

We live very comfortably as a couple on half that salary.

:yes:

I would say that my views are certainly skewed a bit...

I cannot quite fathom £60 a week to live on - and I don't mean that in a bad way.
    If you had to you would. End of
    kangoo wrote:
    If you had to you would. End of

No, it's not.

I would always find alternative means to supplement any income. Simply put, I wouldn't settle for that.
    How can you do that when you're studying?
    kangoo wrote:
    How can you do that when you're studying?

I'm not studying.

I was referring to myself - but that is one reason why I chose not to go to University. I refused to be out of cash.

When you're a student, there is always the option of taking on a job/extra job, changing to a better job or taking more hours in the job you have (if available) to supplement your income.

Very rarely have I ever come across a student SOOO strapped for time that they wouldn't be able to at least do SOMETHING to bring in some £££ if they so had to. It's just a case of getting off your arse and MAKING things happen.
    Actually I work 2 shifts a week at a bar, 3 when I have the time which isn't that often as I'm in my 3rd year and I'm pretty busy. My loan only just covers my rent so yeah I'm skint. And probably will be for the year or 2 after I graduate. Its not that unusual to be on a budget of about £60 a week
    g_angel007 wrote:
    :yes:

I would say that my views are certainly skewed a bit...

I cannot quite fathom £60 a week to live on - and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Once you have money its hard to imagine going back.

We used to live as a couple on about £30 a week, after bills, and it wasn't too good. I can't imagine going back to that now we're earning as much as we do. If we started to earn as much as you do then we'd probably see our life now as the epitome of poverty.

If you're earning the money there's nowt wrong with spending it. The problems come when the money isn't there yet the spending is. A lot of GWST's clients at work seem to earn a decent wage, yet demand to spend more than the earn. They "make" money on the Mastercard, and then only come for help because they don't want to pay it back.

Students can earn more money, but there's a limit as to how much you can earn before your studies suffer badly. Girls are alright, though- they can take up stripping :lol:
    Kermit wrote:
    Once you have money its hard to imagine going back.

We used to live as a couple on about £30 a week, after bills, and it wasn't too good. I can't imagine going back to that now we're earning as much as we do. If we started to earn as much as you do then we'd probably see our life now as the epitome of poverty.

If you're earning the money there's nowt wrong with spending it. The problems come when the money isn't there yet the spending is. A lot of GWST's clients at work seem to earn a decent wage, yet demand to spend more than the earn. They "make" money on the Mastercard, and then only come for help because they don't want to pay it back.

Students can earn more money, but there's a limit as to how much you can earn before your studies suffer badly. Girls are alright, though- they can take up stripping :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Very true!!

I know quite a few strippers. Some of them it's their full time job, but many of them it's to get them through their studies. Thing is, they (usually) earn superb money, and so I can't think at what point many of them would want to jack it in once they *are* qualified!!!! :lol:

Totally with you on your other points, too. It's all very well earning a figure, but if you're living outside your means, then you're a fool. Especially these who think an IVA or bankruptcy are easy ways out of the mess you've gotten yourself in.