Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question about houses.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kangoo wrote:
    I was just pointing out that there's no need to kill yourself paying a morgage because it doesn't have to be that expensive - as you can see by my boyfriend's dad. It obviously depends on where you buy and the price of the house.

Of course.

Not an option for most people, though, as it's also useful if these places are within reasonable commuting distance of your job (forget I mentioned Dewsbury, however commutable it is for me, it's still shit).
  • Options
    Of course.

Not an option for most people, though, as it's also useful if these places are within reasonable commuting distance of your job (forget I mentioned Dewsbury, however commutable it is for me, it's still shit).

Exactly - If I was able to live in a village in the arse end of nowhere and enjoy a 15 minute commute to London, it would be most excellent... Although I wouldn't as I'm a city boy. I like the hustle and bustle. It's just sooooooooooooooooooooooooo not an option for 99% of people though once they get settled in a job as the prices are already well up there, and almost all jobs are in the big cities!

Having a 2.5 hour commute each way just isn't worth it for the sheer drop in quality of life. Trust me, I've done it for a couple of contracts, and you just end up working yourself to death. Up for work, commute, work, commute, home, eat, bed. That's all you end up doing and you're too tired to go out on the weekends. Even for the big £££ that some of these contracts pay, it isn't worth it.

It's not a case of killing yourself paying for a mortgage, but you do buy the best you can for your money. However, if you simply don't have enough money to buy anything in the first place, you're fucked.

G.

P.S. Yes, you're right, Dewsbury is shit! ;)
  • Options
    One other question - I am not familiar with the valleys of Wales. Fair enough the houses could be cheap, but what on earth jobs are there?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

Maybe I was underestimating £250 a month, but even £300 a month isn't bad - especially when there's 2 of you! I was just pointing out that there's no need to kill yourself paying a morgage because it doesn't have to be that expensive - as you can see by my boyfriend's dad.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that his payment is so small because he got the mortgage a while ago, and now has not much left to pay off, and for what was originally a smaller amount than you'd need to get now.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Is this a recent purchase? I would suggest not unless it's VERY cheap out there...??

I would imagine about 15 years ago. But yeah, properties are pretty cheap in that town

I know desirable properties in desirable areas will cost a load more. But when you're skint and first time buying you don't get what you want! Probably get a shithole, in a shit area. But if having your own place is what you want then go for it. 15k a year will be difficult but its doable, if you can get the initial costs together
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    One other question - I am not familiar with the valleys of Wales. Fair enough the houses could be cheap, but what on earth jobs are there?

Depends what jobs you're looking for. And 20-30 min commute to Cardiff. My boyfriend lives in Cardiff with me and works in Merthys so he's really doing it the wrong way round!!
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    I was attempting to point out that £140 a week doesn't go a long way by throwing some variables into the equation. Sometimes you have to do that as life isn't so straight-forward and sometimes saving isn't an option if you need something. Then we get into the whole topic of credit - which is a different kettle of fish.

£60/week? Well done. Not a single person I know could live on that.

I wasn't - I was stating a fact. Also - I've never met a student able to save £500 a term as he states he is. He can't be THAT hard up, girly.

That would be my scholarship :p I didn't want to let myself waste it, as I don't know when (if) I'll ever see that kind of money again. The rest is the usual student loans malarky, which for me I end up with £6400 a year (I get a bursary from the uni as well you see). Divide that by three (terms) that's £2100, near enough. - £800 accomodation (with bills included).

So, for a term of 10 weeks thats £1,300. I have a rough weekly budget of:

£20 - groceries
    £30 - takeouts / going out / pubs / anything really (though in reality I'm a bit sad and don't spend anywhere near this, I like staying in :p, so I normally shove my occasional train / bus use in here too)
    £10 - phone

Which is £60 a week.

Anyway, won't be living in London, no way. York, more likely :D. Hehe. Depends if I can get a job though, actuaries are well paid, but I may be looking at one of the smaller firms. Not sure yet. Norwich Union are in York actually, they say their starting salary is £22k. Minimum of a 2:1 though and then you have to actually pass the interview. So yea, I'll be working in a mcjob till I manage to get a job as an actuary, which may never happen as it's incredibly competitive (there are a fair few camb grads with 1st wanting to become one).

So to get a mortgage of £100,000, what are the usual figures you need?
  • Options
    [QUOTE=ShyBo

So to get a mortgage of £100,000, what are the usual figures you need?[/QUOTE]

Jumping straight to the mortgage figures, I would say to be comfortable on a £100k mortgage, a 4 x multiplier is the highest I would go to. That would equate to approx £22k a year if you put a deposit 5-10% down. You should slip under the stamp-duty threshold at £100k, but York is actually pretty pricey, if I recall!

You would need to put down a deposit to get a decent multiplier, or you're back to 100% mortgages, which you would need to be earning around £33k to hit the £100k mortgage mark.

With regards to your boyfriends Dad's mortgage: a mortgage of £300 15 years ago... Well, let's just say it would be a LOT more than that now if going on house price!!! You can't compare the past and the present in this context.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Jumping straight to the mortgage figures, I would say to be comfortable on a £100k mortgage, a 4 x multiplier is the highest I would go to. That would equate to approx £22k a year if you put a deposit 5-10% down. You should slip under the stamp-duty threshold at £100k, but York is actually pretty pricey, if I recall!

Yea york is pricey, hopefully get somewhere cheaper in commuting distance and maybe one day...

who knows? :) Just know I love york and would love to live near / in it. Ooh, a penthouse flat on the river.... probably only half a million or so :p (random guess).

I could row to work :D

It's not that I'm worried about buying a house right now, not at all. I just thought maybe it would be prudent to think in advance of what exactly it is I'm going to do when the time comes. So, rent in scummy accommodation, work lots of overtime, find some mates, move out, get promoted, get paid more, meet someone, get our moneys together, put a mortgage down on somewhere little, work more, then if baby comes along -> continue working in said house till they leave home then retire.

or else -> both get promoted, move into bigger house.

I don't want kids till I'm 30 :p on paper it just seems to give you more opportunities to do stuff...
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:

With regards to your boyfriends Dad's mortgage: a mortgage of £300 15 years ago... Well, let's just say it would be a LOT more than that now if going on house price!!! You can't compare the past and the present in this context.

Me and the man have been talking about buying a lot lately, especially after the landlord situation (bitch) and his friend is here, just said you can get a morgage in pontypridd for £300 a month - he's bought recently too.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I could row to work :D

I was going to say that you should price in a boat if you live in York.
  • Options
    Hey ShyBoy. Good to see you're planning ahead but don't wish your life away. I bought a house earlier this year but I'm really glad that I rented for a couple of years first. Renting at Uni is just not the same. I really don't know what it is but everything seems to cost so much more once you're outta there.

Just to give you a picture of the housing market at the moment. At the time I bought my house, I was earning 23,500. Whilst I could get a reasonable mortgage, once I budgeted for bills and going out and all the rest of it, the max that I was prepared to spend was about 65,000 on a house. I got my house for slightly less than that but it is in Nottingham (ask Phil and Kirstie about the place), in a shit hole (albeit not one that is well known for its gang warfare!), terraced and ex council. It's two bedroomed and had no double glazing or central heating when I moved in. I pay just over £400/month on a 100% 3 yr firxed rate mortgage.

In York, http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6290778.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy , that's what you get for over 20,000 more.

Don't be disheartened by this BUT don't feel that you have to rush out and buy a house as soon as you finish Uni either. xxx
  • Options
    http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?agentid=6085&opt=prop&pid=432921

God knows what its like but 30k! double glazing, although gas central heating not tested :lol:

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?agentid=7909&opt=prop&pid=575252
    2 bedroom. all those houses are pretty much the same size and layout so you know what you're getting

This one looks alright :)
    http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?agentid=6061&opt=prop&pid=430987

Just to show you CAN buy cheap if you're willing to compramise on area. Lucky for me that's the area I want to live in! :D

ETA: the last one looks pretty small, but you could move in and live without doing too much to it. Also its skinny but looks quite long! You can get much bigger houses for similar prices but they tend to be done out pretty horrible (seen 1 with yellow and brown walls), but I'd want to redecorate anyway to make it mine so wouldn't bother me!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    Just to show you CAN buy cheap if you're willing to compramise on area. Lucky for me that's the area I want to live in! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Compromise? I don't think that's *quite* the correct term to be using here!!!!

I have no idea where that is bar being in Wales - of which I can guarantee there would be no/little work for me there.

Yes, you can buy cheap - but that area (and many others of a similar ilk) are just not an option, never mind a compromise, for most people.
  • Options
    Its 20-30 minutes commute to Cardiff where I guarentee there's plent of jobs!

But yes, if you want to live in a nice house in the city then you'll be paying 3 times the price. I don't want to live in the city though
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    Hey ShyBoy. Good to see you're planning ahead but don't wish your life away. I bought a house earlier this year but I'm really glad that I rented for a couple of years first. Renting at Uni is just not the same. I really don't know what it is but everything seems to cost so much more once you're outta there.

Just to give you a picture of the housing market at the moment. At the time I bought my house, I was earning 23,500. Whilst I could get a reasonable mortgage, once I budgeted for bills and going out and all the rest of it, the max that I was prepared to spend was about 65,000 on a house. I got my house for slightly less than that but it is in Nottingham (ask Phil and Kirstie about the place), in a shit hole (albeit not one that is well known for its gang warfare!), terraced and ex council. It's two bedroomed and had no double glazing or central heating when I moved in. I pay just over £400/month on a 100% 3 yr firxed rate mortgage.

In York, http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6290778.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy , that's what you get for over 20,000 more.

Don't be disheartened by this BUT don't feel that you have to rush out and buy a house as soon as you finish Uni either. xxx

Hey Loopi thanks :)

I will probably rent first, as it seems its fairly impossible to jump onto the housing market. But I'll try and save up some of the money first so I have some cash in the bank, while I'm renting. I don't have to live in york the town, it is reaaaallly expensive, but ideally I'd like to find work up here, and so be within 45 mins commuting distance or so.

But yea, all very preliminary, I didn't have the foggiest about mortgages, or any of it really. Just want to find out information really. :)
  • Options
    I work as a conveyancer, and my firm's legal fees are £550 + VAT for a simple freehold purchase. Searches cost £300, Land Registry fees and SDLT form preparation adds another £300. Stamp duty is 1% of property value for any property over £125,000 (or £150,000 if the house is in a "disadvantaged area" which attracts stamp duty exemption. On a £125,000 house you'd be forking out £2,500 just in legal fees. Then you have mortgage valuation fees (£400), mortgage product arrangement fees (£200). If you borrow over 90% of the property's value you will usually attract a Higher Lending Charge of about £2000.

Property prices are still quite cheap in the Welsh valleys, the two-bed terrace houses I'm working on in that area are typically going for about £70,000-£75,000 in decent condition (in places like Merthyr Tydfil). But there's a reason for that.

We have a combined income of about £33,000 gross, and we don't have the money for luxuries like new laptops and long holidays. We're not starving or owt, but we're not living a luxury lifestyle, and that's with a £95,000 mortgage on a favourable product rate (4.85% fixed until December 2010) which is not available on the market now.
  • Options
    It is possible to buy on a salary of 15K. My colleague who earns the same as me has just bought a 2 bed flat in a nice part of Birmingham. The way he did it was to move back home for a while, therefore not paying rent, or at least paying a minimal amount compared to renting privately.

Then he got a graduate mortgage with HSBC with his friend. It's incredibly difficult (impossible actually) to get a mortgage by yourself.
  • Options
    Every time I see this I see "question about horses".

What have they got to do with home, money and law??
  • Options
    Ahh Kermit legal fees sounds like a bitch! If your house isn't over 150k then you don't pay stamp duty is that correct?

Yeah the valleys aren't regarded as the most desirable place to live by many, but like all places there's good and bad parts. I personally think the valleys are beautiful, my boyfriend used to live in pontypridd, the back of his house was literally on the side of a mountain looking out over the valley, the view in the morning was breathtaking. There is a problem with jobs but its easier to commute to bigger towns, and to Cardiff so house prices are rising! Which is why I wanna get in there fast!!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    Ahh Kermit legal fees sounds like a bitch! If your house isn't over 150k then you don't pay stamp duty is that correct?

We aren't the cheapest firm by any stretch of the imagination, other firms may do it cheaper. My house was done by a firm in Carlisle and we paid £650+VAT all in, but then we did know the owner of the firm.

Stamp duty is not payable below £125,000, and above that it is 1% of the purchase price. Above £250,000 it is 3%. Some areas are "disadvantaged areas" and have a stamp duty exemption in order to get people to move there- in disadvantaged areas stamp duty is not payable below £150,000.

Some lenders will pay the legal fees for you and add it to the mortgage, Halifax do it for first time buyers.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Some lenders will pay the legal fees for you and add it to the mortgage, Halifax do it for first time buyers.

Ahh that would be much better, what with the deposit and the legal fees it would take us ten years to save all that up!

Is the deposit about 10%? I'm sure I read that, but my boyfriends mate got a mortage for 70k on his wage of 15k a year, and he only had to pay £3000 deposit. How did he manage that?!

ETA: halifax only want 3% deposit (for first tiem buyers at least) and with me and my boyfriend earning 14k a year we could borrow up to 110k - that's not bad

I'm confused between a repayment morgage and an interest only morgage - and which is best?
  • Options
    A repayment mortgage is always best, as you actually pay back the loan as well as the interest on the loan. With an interest-only mortgage you only pay the interest- at the end of 25 years, you still owe the lender the amount of money you originally borrowed. This is why interest-only mortgage appear cheaper- you're not paying the money you borrowed back.

The traditional deposit to the vendor on exchange is 10%, but a traditional mortgage is only for 75% of the property's value. These days this isn't so common, a typical first-timer-buyer contribution to the purchase price would be about 5%. Some lenders do loan to 100% of the property value, but these products don't have a good interest rate.

For comparison, we provided £5000 for our house, which cost £100,000. We got a really good deal with the conveyancing, and we got an excellent mortgage product for our circumstances. Ours is repayment, fixed rate at 4.85% until 2010, and comes in at about £600pcm. We also had kind parents:)
  • Options
    On Halifax it said you can only borrow 95% of what the house is worth. So that means you pay the other 5% as a deposit? And I couldn't find anywhere that said they'd add legal fees to the morgage. So the more you can fork up to pay outright, the better the deal you get on the morgage right?

On a repayment morgage for halifax on a fixed rate of 5.49% monthly payments were just less than £400 a month. How come thats a lot less than yours? Or have I worked it out wrong :(

This is so confusing!!
  • Options
    The deposit is technically the amount that you pay to the vendor when you exchange contracts to secure the property. Traditionally this is 10% of the property value.

You would need to contribute at least 5% of the purchase price from your own savings for the mortgage products from Halifax. That's typical of most lenders. If you contribute less than 10% of the purchase price usually you have to pay a Higher Lending Charge, which is usually around £2000 and is usually added to the mortgage balance.

I suspect you worked it out wrong, it looks like you ticked the interest-only one. I put my details into their online calculator and it came out pretty much spot on what I pay to my lender, Coventry Building Society, who I've been really impressed with.

Interest-only mortgages aren't a good idea, as you need some way of paying back the capital. People used to take out endowments, but they've been proven to be shite.

If you are serious about buying a house you need to take solid financial advice from an independent financial advisor. Beware IFAs, though, as many of them receive a commission for products sold and they don't always sell the best product for you. Read the small print and don't take their word as gospel.
  • Options
    Hm it gave me £300 a month for interest only and £400 a month for repayment morgage. That was for 25 years, I don't know how long yours is for.

ETA: maybe I got it wrong because I didnt know what this was :What interest rate would you like an illustration on (not the APR)? I put 5.49%

ETA again: I only put in to borrow £65,000 because we won't be looking to spend more than £70,000 on our first house. To borrow £75,000 repayments are nearly £500 a month
  • Options
    We borrowed £97,000 (after HLC), so that's why our payments are higher!

You really won't get much for £70,000, even in the valleys, I'm afraid. Any house you do get will need work doing to it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You really won't get much for £70,000, even in the valleys, I'm afraid. Any house you do get will need work doing to it.

Do you reckon? :( I think this one looks pretty good for a first buy
    http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?agentid=6061&opt=prop&pid=430987
    And most of the 2 bed terraced houses seem to be 60-70k and I'm sure they're not all in terrible condition. Most of the ones I've been looking at are decorated hideously old fashioned but don't seem to be in bad condition

For example this one
    http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?agentid=6061&opt=prop&pid=455934&photo=4#photo
    Lovely wooden floors, nice big rooms. would need decorating but seems in fair condition

Do you mean work as in new carpets and decorating to look nice? Or do you mean work as in sorting out damp, roof fixing, central heating etc?

Please don't take this as argueing with you as I really value your opinion - you seem to know a fair amount and havr your head screwed on...I'm just trying to work out whats affordable to buy etc!
  • Options
    The second one is at auction, so its a guide price rather than the actual value. It also means you don't get the same protection as you can't do full inspections before committing to purchase.

£65,000 for a one-bed terrace isn't too bad, but it shows that you don't get much for your money.
  • Options
    Ah do you think it would go for a lot more? I wouldn't buy at auction but they all seem to be similar prices