Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weekend break ideas...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    On the off-chance that you might be flying from Bristol you can go via easyjet to two of my favourite cities - Madrid and Hamburg :heart:

Ooh, I didn't know you could fly cheap from Bristol to Hamburg! That's somewhere I haven't been in Germany and I'd love to see it, I usually fly from London though and even if you go with Ryanair by the time you've got the train to Stansted you might as well be flying with BA in terms of cost. But if cheap is an option I might do a mini-break over the summer. Any recommendations for sightseeing?
    koe_182 wrote:
    germany is a good shout, i think i'd go for Berlin or munich if i was going there tho, im gonna look into that one.

Trouble with Munich is that you can't get direct cheap flights there from anywhere apart from London (as far as I know). It is a really great city though, I've spent three weekends there and could still go back and find more to do. Berlin is also great, I've been there twice (each 4 days) and again, still have things I'd like to see. I don't think it's particularly expensive as German goes - I remember the first time I went it cost £200 for everything during the 4 days, including train fare for a 12-hour overnight journey from southern Germany, which probably costs about the same as a cheap flight from England.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    Aww I am glad you are pleased, I still feel a bit odd occassionally...I have never done anything like this before (ie meeting randoms off the internet :p) but it has all worked out well :D

don't worry, i met my ex on the internet and i'm still embarrassed about it in a weird saddo way! it's cool though 'cause neither of us are sad! he just happened to live near me. i don't think i'd do it again - i'm not sure why. hmm! shh don't tell anyone. :p
  • Options
    wildchild wrote:
    Ooh, I didn't know you could fly cheap from Bristol to Hamburg! That's somewhere I haven't been in Germany and I'd love to see it, I usually fly from London though and even if you go with Ryanair by the time you've got the train to Stansted you might as well be flying with BA in terms of cost. But if cheap is an option I might do a mini-break over the summer. Any recommendations for sightseeing?

Someone with taste ;)

I only just discovered that flight route myself, not that it's a lot of good for me anyway. The only bad thing about Hamburg is that it's such a pain in the arse getting there, but I tend to travel at the otherside (sleazyjet to Berlin) anyway.

I have a million and one recommendations for sightseeing and could rave about Hamburg until I go blue in the face. Obviously it depends what you're into and what you want to get out of your holiday but I would recommend staying in the Altona area of the city which is the studenty-bohemian area and has the best bars, street cafes, outdoor music events etc. If you do decide to go then I can give you a great recommendation of a guest house -- I even put my parents in it when they came to visit so it's not half bad! :razz:

If you go during the summer then it would be well worth timing your trip to coincide with the Dom Festival which runs from 27th July to 26th August or thereabouts. It is just insane, and they have an enormous ferris wheel that gives you a gorgeous view over the whole of Hamburg and right down into the Millerntor-Stadion, home of St. Pauli - my favourite arty-farty, liberal footy club :heart:

Like I said most of the real nightlife and entertainment is on the Reeperbahn and it is out of this world if you avoid the shitey Irish pubs. Most of the adult entertainment is off to the side streets - it is immense fun if you're into that kind of thing or even for a giggle - there is one which doesn't even allow women, but we used to run down it for dares. For more calm activities, the Alster lakes are great for a stroll around, loads of gorgeous architecture surrounding it and all the high-end, elegant shops. If you're a poor slob like I was (and still am) you can just laze on the grass banks drinking 90 cent beers.

Something I would definately recommend is the Heinrich-Hertz-Turm Television Tower in the Planten und Blomen public gardens. You'd be hard pushed to miss it as you can see it from all over the city. Near the top there's a revolving restaurant where we spent many an afternoon eating the most decadent cakes and drinking coffee looking over over Hamburg. Ah, bliss. Like I said before you can hire bikes and whizz through the Elbe - which is an old WW1 tunnel - which is a bit of an experience. Or you can drive through in a car, or go by foot. You drive into the lift which lowers you to a tunnel then back into a lift on the other side and then you're back on street level. Everyone used to think it was crap but I loved it. It's right by the Fischmarkt too which is great in daytime or nighttime. I'll never forget staggering out of a club and watching them loading these freaky octopi and fish out of boats - absolutely nuts but so, so interesting.

Another thing they do in summer is show films on a gigantic screen at the Rathausmarkt (Town Hall square) and everyone just chills on the ground with their blankets and their beer and then hits the clubs. They have festivals in the parks, there are street parties and if you know where you're going and what the craic is then you might even have as fantastic a time as I did there. Another thing you can do is get the U-Bahn out to the City Park which is about 5km north of the city. There is a huge woodland area, meadows and then gorgeous public gardens around the lake. Loads of sculptures by local artists too, or at least there were! There are freibads all around Hamburg but this is my favourite one, you can go diving in the lake, there are sports areas, an open-air theatre, bird-watching stations and loads of restaurants and bars. There's also an Observatory there but I didn't ever manage to get it, it's in the old water tower.

There is so much more but I'm getting carried away with myself now! If you do ever decide to go there then I'm your go-to girl for advice ;)

I had the best summer of my life there. Can you tell? :D
  • Options
    Just a little :p

You've really got me inspired to go now, though, it sounds great! If I go anywhere this summer I think that will be it... and I'll let you know so you can give me more advice, yay :)
  • Options
    :) No bother at all dearie. I think I might write a guide book!
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Yeah I see what you mean there. I think the Anne Frank house is a must to anyone visiting Amsterdam, a really quite emotional place.

I've been there twice. Tis good.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I've been there twice. Tis good.

Did you see that photo of her statue when someone had sprayed Swastika on it?
    Pretty fucking disrespectful..
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    READ!!

I do love the way you know me so well, I will not be going to Poland unless we have a VERY nice hotel. So far though, I do like all of the suggestions, but pretty much anywhere we go, I would like a nice hotel.

I found you an amazingly good deal on an amazingly good hotel - which I know you would approve of - though if you went i might be so jealous i'd have to hide in your suit case!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I found you an amazingly good deal on an amazingly good hotel - which I know you would approve of - though if you went i might be so jealous i'd have to hide in your suit case!

tis true, come with us, we can bore her with WW2 stuff.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    tis true, come with us, we can bore her with WW2 stuff.

You should get her to read some stuff about it all it really is very exciting if not a bit depressing and makes you in some ways ashamed to be british - though i guess every nation did terrible things during the war and its not like the english crimes were as bad as those of other nations.....