Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Gay penguins

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fucks sake, it's the penguins choice who they fuck, male or femlae!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No offence to "Gay Groups Worldwide" but unless they have a PHD in animal behavioural studies, maybe they should keep their nose out of it.
    It's not as if the male penguins, if actually 'gay', will suddenly bow to peer pressure and decide to mate with females if they are put in that situation. Animals do not feel the same need to conform to a particular sexuality, unlike the way we are encouraged to do so by society. The concept is much less rigid in the animal kingdom.
    The Zoo isn't forcing these Penguins to mate with females instead of males, all they are doing is adding some female Penguins to see if the reason the males are trying to mate is because mating is instinct and there is a lack of females. There is no creulty in that at all, they aren't forcing anything, if anything they are giving the Penguins more choice, also as these Penguins are rare, it would probably be good if they did mate with the females instead of the males.
    I agree with Pill'ed really.
    What a load of bollock's that is, surely they have better things to do with there time!
    pill 'ed wrote:
    The Zoo isn't forcing these Penguins to mate with females instead of males, all they are doing is adding some female Penguins to see if the reason the males are trying to mate is because mating is instinct and there is a lack of females.
    Well, the animals are caged, with no females, like men in a prison. So I can imagine the penguins might have "prison bitches" just like humans!:naughty:
    This is interesting, because the same behaviour was observed amongst penguins in Central Park - down to trying to hatch rocks (I can't find the exact article, but it is discussed here). It's been widely cited as evidence of homosexuality in animals and I will be interested to see what the result of the experiment in Germany is.
    But the twist in the tale [of penguins in Central Park] would please social conservatives who see gay marriage as a threat to society. In real life the gay penguins of Central Park split up last year after Silo took up with a female penguin called Scrappy.

I don't think it's cruel - I can't imagine what possible grounds a gay rights group would have to complain about the introduction of females into the males' habitat, either.

Why so many gay animal threads today?!

(Edited to correc the link).
    No offence to "Gay Groups Worldwide" but unless they have a PHD in animal behavioural studies, maybe they should keep their nose out of it.
    :yes:
    It's not like the penguins have been trained to be gay is it? :rolleyes:
    They're not in their natural environment, of course they're going to behave differently. Maybe all male dogs that try to hump each other should be put down too?
    What happens if the female penguins turn out to be lesbians (les-guins)?

Does that mean they'll need a really small turkey baster to get up the duff?

How will they decide which penguin will lay the egg?

Is it really natural for penguin chicks to grow up with same sex parents?

Will they end up turning to drugs and crime as a result of bullying in penguin school and not having a dominant father figure?

Surely homosexual penguin couples will be the downfall of society, discouraging young penguins to settle down and start a nuclear family.

Homosexuality is a choice you know. ;)
    sophia wrote:
    Yeah well, before we get our knickers in too much of a twist (OMGZ!! It's political correctness GONE MAD!!) bear in mind that there's no evidence, at least on that link, that gay rights activists are protesting at all.
    My knickers are well and truly untwisted.
    sophia wrote:
    Yeah well, before we get our knickers in too much of a twist (OMGZ!! It's political correctness GONE MAD!!) bear in mind that there's no evidence, at least on that link, that gay rights activists are protesting at all.

what reason would the zoo director have to lie?
    Territt wrote:

Maybe more people will visit his zoo if he has 'gay' penguins :).

But anyway.. lol at lesguins :p. It's quite interesting really... it's interesting how the director says that he wants to promote breeding because the species is in decline - maybe it's because they decided they fancied their own gender more :p.

I can't understand the justification behind protesting though. Would it be an argument along the lines of 'These penguins have a right to be gay and not be subject to female penguins who might turn them straight'. I mean, there may well be no protesting.... but if there was what is there to protest about :confused:
    Territt wrote:
    No one's implying that they necessarily are, but they haven't provided any source and as far as I can tell from a quick search, the main groups in this country (Stonewall, Outrage! even NUS LGBT) haven't responded.