Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Landlord Stressing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We had an inspection of the flat a week ago and this guy who works for the landlady did it, and my landlady just rang up and said that he said the place was in a state. Which is fairly annoying that he's gone and said all this stuff because when he came round we asked if everything was ok and he said it was fine

One of the main things he said is that the bathroom tiles are mouldy, which they get like - but I'm not sure what we can do about this to be honest. We air the bathroom as much as possible and the window is always open, the problem is that there is no heater and no ventilation in the bathroom apart from a tiny window. We've only been here 6 months and we've had to whiten the grout out of our own pocket and time. I said to her we're doing our best and she basically said it isn't good enough. She said we have to bleach and scrub the tiles every week. There's 3 rooms in the house that get mould but I don't know what to do about it! We've only got 1 dehumidifier and they still get moudly and she blames us! I'm at my wits end trying to keep the mould at bay I just don't know what to do

Also he complained that the walls and carpet weren't clean - they're both white, and we've tried to keep them as clean as possible, but my boyfriend put his hand on the wall after he's cleaned it (to test) and it left a mark. Any marks are tiny and are what I would consider general wear and tear, a lot of rented properties are painted yearly for this reason

So what to do? Is it our fault because we are plebs? How clean is it necessary to keep the house when you're renting? Is it our responsibility to contantly scrub mould off the tiles and walls? She lived here before us and reckons she had no problems which I find very hard to believe

Comments

• Options
    Get some mould & mildew remover and use it on the tiles.
  • Options
    As long as it's clean when you leave it I certainly wouldn't bother bleaching and scrubbing the bathroom once a week. I might wipe the tiles down once a month personally- but then I'm not a clean freak, kinda the opposite.
  • Options
    The tiles should scrub up clean enough with a bit of elbow grease and something like Mist said. I would say it was up to you to keep them clean, it wouldnt take alot to keep the mould off of them.
    As for little marks, it depends how little.
    As for having white walls and carpet in a rented properly i think shes an idiot. Especially the carpet.
  • Options
    oh, and they are selling steam cleaners in argos for £20 at the mo, might come in handy.
  • Options
    We wash the tiles but the mould is pretty persistant. It came in the spare room and she said it was our fault because we didn't keep it ventilated, even though we have the window open.

Marks on the walls/carpets are just smudges, no bigger than an inch and you can only spot them if you're really looking. I've no idea why she painted everything white! And cream carpets are just asking for trouble. We're not hideously dirty, but the house is lived in :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah it is crap.
    When we were renting a house though, it stated that the carpets had to be steam cleaned when we left.
    Check your contract.
    I cleaned them myself though and they were fine.
  • Options
    Bastards! I hate renting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    I've no idea why she painted everything white!

Because it's usually cheaper than colured paint. :)
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    Bastards! I hate renting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, you pay off their investment for them and all they do is complain. Fucking parasites.

If you can find an alternative way of getting a reference for another place, it could be worth losing your deposit to leave the place a complete mess that would take a while to clean, and put off other tenants (undamaged, of course) :)
  • Options
    All landlords do this, its nothing particular to this one. They want to keep your deposit- it pays the mortgage for a month- and will resort to any tactic to do so. The landlord in our place actually went in once we'd left and trashed the place- her photos were better than ours, so she won. Parasite.

If there are mould problems I would state that there's a damp problem that has damaged your goods, and that two can play at that game.

You could put loads of elbow grease in and she'll still claim that it's not enough. Have an inspection about two weeks before you leave the property, clean it again, and if she continues to be a whingeing parasite you'll probably need to take legal action against her.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    She was pregnant and I hope she lost her child, fucking cunt.
    :no:
  • Options
    That's too much man, surely you don't want someone's child to die
  • Options
    Of course I don't really, but only for the child's sake, if I'm going to be totally honest.

Fucking parasite. If she lost everything I'd be delighted.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    As long as it's clean when you leave it I certainly wouldn't bother bleaching and scrubbing the bathroom once a week. I might wipe the tiles down once a month personally- but then I'm not a clean freak, kinda the opposite.
    Exactly.

All these things he has mentioned are petty and not usually brought up in inspections. Inspections are really for abuse of the property and major damage. Little things like this are usually brought up in the inspection after you have left the property, they then take any minor damages/cleaning bills out of your deposit. That's why before you leave you should scrub the house from top to bottom and fix any little problems such as loose door handles etc.
  • Options
    You know on ebay where when you buy something you review the service afterwards.

I think you should have to do that for landlords. If they're crap, neg feedback them :D. "Poor comms, tried to kill my cat, wont use again"
  • Options
    I just got the report back and he complained that the kitchen was messy because I was cooking dinner. And said the bedroom smelled slightly damp even though we have the windows open, surely I should be complaing about that not them complaining to me. FUMING. They have £650 in bond and I'm scared I'm gonna lose it
  • Options
    It sounds like your landlord is another parasitic cunt who very probably will keep your bond. If they're blaming you for damp problems in a house without adequate ventilation and heating then I think that sets the tone of the whole thing.

Explain to the landlord in writing the problems you are facing with ventilation and heating in the bathroom, and that mould is unavoidable unless the probelms are fixed. Also explain that their failure to rectify the mould problem is damaging your property, and that this is unacceptable. Set your position out in writing now, as it will make the legal action you'll have to take a lot easier.

All landlords are evil parasitic cunts and I'd put all of them in fucking prison if it were my choice.
  • Options
    Well, if she decides not to give you back the deposit, you know what to do :).

Houseparty, then take all the furniture :D.
  • Options
    Yeah, we did that.

Our landlord blamed us for the leaks caused by a broken pipe, and disconnected our shower. As it "wasn't on the inventory" she wouldn't fix it.

Her expensive houseplants weren't on the inventory either. They look really good in our living room :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    All landlords do this, its nothing particular to this one. They want to keep your deposit- it pays the mortgage for a month- and will resort to any tactic to do so. The landlord in our place actually went in once we'd left and trashed the place- her photos were better than ours, so she won. Parasite.

If there are mould problems I would state that there's a damp problem that has damaged your goods, and that two can play at that game.

You could put loads of elbow grease in and she'll still claim that it's not enough. Have an inspection about two weeks before you leave the property, clean it again, and if she continues to be a whingeing parasite you'll probably need to take legal action against her.

I had a landlasy exacty the same. She knew we smoked and she knew we had a cat. We showed her the papers to state the cat was flee treated, she was happy with this.
    4 months into it, she gave us a month's notice (which is illegal)saying she was going to sell the house.
    We struggled getting somewhere so needed to stay another day or 2. She made out this wasn't good enough and she would charge us storage for her furniture. I then reminded her, we had a 6 month contract and you couldn't legally give us notice until the 6 months is up.
    Anyway, come the inspection she noticed 3 - 4 tiny tiny little round marks on the wooden floor. She was on her hands and knees with a magnifying glass!
    She went in the garden (she'd asked us to trim the dead plants and bushes and took a little off the rent)and said we'd nicked all her dafodil bulbs and come spring if they didn't come up she'd be billing us!

2 days after the inspection we get a cheques for around £100 (deposit was &750). Detailed was:
    Extensive damage to the floor boards
    Exterminator fees to clean the whole house and carpet
    Damage to walls

We'd put a couple of pictures up, so apparently the whole wall needed fixing.
    The cat never left the house and was treated, plus the house was cleaner when we left than when we moved in. We spent 12 hours giving a thorough clean!

We tried to talk to her about this, she was pregnant at the time and every time we spoke she grabbed her tummy, started panting and told us we were harrassing her!

Anyway, after we moved out, we also found out other people were renting off her they were just paying more rent!

Grrr I hate landlords!
  • Options
    All landlords will shaft you right up the arse with a spiky dildo given the tiniest chance, they are all scum and I do wish them every ill. I hope all their itches are unscratchable :D

Landlords can't give notice on an assured shorthold, and even if she's selling it the tenancy just moves to the new owner.

I really hate to be the bringer of bad news but its highly unlikely that the OP will get her bond back. We've lost nearly a fucking grand on thieving parasite landlords retaining bonds unreasonably, and if they did die, well, I probably would piss on their grave. The hatred I feel to the landlords who shafted us really is quite strong.
  • Options
    :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Bugger bugger. Surely if they take your bond they have to produce a bill for the damage?

She keeps blaming everything on me!! She lived here last year and said she had no problem with mould, but there is no ventilation so it keeps coming. And she wants us to scrub with bleach, if she had an extractor fan or a radiator then it wouldn't be there in the first place!!
  • Options
    I think she's a liar, most landlords are. If they admit a damp or mould problem they are liable for damage to your property.

They do technically have to provide a bill, and they have to show that they have sought to mitigate any damage. Usually they have to show that they have obtained several quotes to get the cheapest price, etc etc.

But what they should do and what they do do are two entirely different things. In our first house we got half our bond back after sending solicitors letters, and it wasn't worth the time and energy to get the other half back; in our second house they took better photos than us (we naively only took photos of the damage) after they had trashed the house. In both houses we had problems with mould due to poor ventilation and heating; in both houses we were blamed. We were also blamed for discolouration of grouting, as soap causes grout to go black apparently.

They're all fucking cunts who deserve to get impaled on something painful and fatal. 14 months on and I'm still seething about that Scottish shitstain that robbed us- I do hope that her life is ruined and she ends up as a hobo freezing to death somewhere. I wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    In both houses we had problems with mould due to poor ventilation and heating; in both houses we were blamed. We were also blamed for discolouration of grouting, as soap causes grout to go black apparently.

How did they try and blame you? By saying you didn't have the windows open? That's exactly what they're doing to us, and saying that the grout is getting discoloured because we don't take care of it and bleach it every week :confused: Ugghhhh
  • Options
    They told us that it must be because we didn't open windows and dried clothes on the radiators- never mind the fuck-off huge damp patch on the outside wall :rolleyes:

Same with the grout, apparently we should bleach it twice a day and everything.

This is why the £100,000 I paid for my house was the best money I ever spent.
  • Options
    Thats EXACTLY what they're saying to me, apparently we can't dry clothes inside and we're not opening the windows enough. We're supposed to have the dehumidifer on constantly, god knows what thats gonna do to our electric bill :nervous:

Bastaaaaarrrrddddddddddds! I'm finishing uni this year and I intend to buy a house as soon as I possibly can because I've had it up to here with landlords, and paying extortionate amounts for living in a grotty house I don't even like and being blamed for it all :mad:
  • Options
    How awful!

We're renting at the moment but through a company who deals with the landlord on our behalf. I don't really like it because I just know they'll find any little thing!

When my boyfriend vacated his last rented property the same firm deducted £40 for a broken toilet seat that was broken when he moved in! All he did was take it off, use his own, and put it back on again before leaving. They also deducted about £200 for someone to mow the lawn, which was mowed before they left! Grrrr. If I were you I would send letters (by recorded delivery) every single time you notice the mould! Keep a diary of when you clean and when the mould comes back too.