Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Distance from work to home?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How far do you travel to work and how long is your journey there and back?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Bored enough to do it in Google Earth. 19 miles each way, 1 mile walk, 20 minutes train, then another half mile walk on the end. The train is only £2 return so not too bad.

In total (walking, waiting for train, on train) etc normally just short of an hour each way.
  • Options
    I have two jobs; one is a 5 minute walk, the other is an hours drive...
  • Options
    ah right, that sounds kinda harsh- or perhaps I'm just being a bit too restrictive in my latest job hunt.
  • Options
    About 25 miles, and about an hour and a half.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I work all over the country. Could be working in Essex tomorrow, Cornwall the next day. Still I do far less travelling than I used to, which is good seeing as now I have to pay for it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    About 25 miles, and about an hour and a half.
    Odd you work in Hudds and live in Leeds and I'm the other way round!
  • Options
    It's about a mile or so, always walk to and from work.

Bit of a walk, but it's near enough not to be worth getting a bus. I'm moving in about two weeks, so I'll be about 10 minutes away on the train, which is nothing when this time last year I was doing a five hour round trip every day till I found a flat down here.
  • Options
    25 mins walk, 5 mins wait for bus 5 mins bus ride
  • Options
    It varies how far it is, but normally takes me about an hour end to end in the car.
  • Options
    Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    About 9 miles. It doesen't usually take that long to get there (driving) unless i get stuck behind a tractor! :banghead:
  • Options
    About 4.4 miles each way. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk from the medical centre place to where I have to work. And it takes about 15 minutes to get from where I work to the hospital. (Medical centre & hospital are 2 different places)

It takes about an hour to get there and an hour and 10 minutes to get home.
  • Options
    its about 5 miles or 7-10mins drive with a pickup on the way. its very very very good cos im straight on the motorway as well.

i'd be willing to drive up to 1hr for work i guess
  • Options
    7 miles each way. Normally takes me an hour on the bus thanks to Oxfords fantastic traffic and then a 10 minute walk.
  • Options
    Give or take a few minutes its 30mins door to door, unless the Tube is buggered then its anything up to an hour.
  • Options
    2,5 miles. 6 minutes walk to the trolley stop, 0-5minutes waiting for the trolley, 10 minutes ride.
  • Options
    No idea distance, but it takes me about twenty minutes to walk there, and twenty back. It's pretty much next to my college, so it's the same for that.
  • Options
    4 miles to work. Journey time varies depending on what time i start work, traffic etc. But usully anything between 10-20 mintes in the car :D
  • Options
    hmmn, I guess I would expand my search to 1hr if it didn't mean using childcare both ends of the school day, which limits my search to a 30min (with car) morning journey from the school gates...
  • Options
    It's about 8 miles.

20-25 minute bus ride, and a 15 minute walk down from the bus stop to my office. Usually takes me about half an hour in the morning (the bus stop is right outside my house) but a bit longer at night because the buses are always delayed in traffic.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Mine is to uni, so it is 40 miles each way, so normally about an hour in the morn, and another hour in the evening...Its not fun, and I dont like it!
  • Options
    24miles, Takes me about half hour. A59 for ya! Beautiful piece of driving road!
  • Options
    I'd hate to have to drive to work, I like my reading time in the mornings and evenings.
  • Options
    10 minute walk from my house, handy enough.
  • Options
    10 minutes walk to the train station. Then half an hour on the train. Then a 10 minutes walk to the college. 50minutes each way BUT the trains are only once an hour so on the way back, finish college at four, then got to wait until 4.38 (if it is on time) and then got my 30minute train ride and 10 minute walk. Does my head in sometimes!
  • Options
    I live about 200m away from my workplace, so oooh that's about 5 mins walk each way :D no sardines in the morning and i save a packet, shame about the location lol.
  • Options
    It's just under 5 miles, and takes 9 minutes without any traffic at all, and anywhere up to 20 minutes in traffic. I know all the back roads round that way like the back of my hand, so I never get stuck in big queues. :thumb:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    4.2 miles apparently. In the morning, when it is busy, it can take between 20-30 minutes. In the evening, it depends on what time I leave. If I leave between 4 and 4.30 it is about 10 minutes til home. If I leave at 3.30 then it takes ages and if I leave after 4.30 it takes ages :/
  • Options
    New contract due to start in February is based approx 50 miles from my house - so 100 miles a day.

After the first three days I'll be spending 3 weeks in Europe (France, Germany and Spain this time) so that's a fair trek but it should be a gooooood laugh! :)

Job finishes in early March.
  • Options
    30 second walk across the road

woop
  • Options
    Mines about four miles away. Ten minutes walk to bus stop, 35-50 minute bus ride depending on traffic, couple of minutes walk to office. Takes from 45 minutes to an hour both ways.

Worse was when my last job relocated to a village about 30 miles from me. 20 mins to station, 40 mins on train, 25 mins to walk from station to next village. Three hour round trip every day for a five hour job. I didnt stay very long.