Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hairy women

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/magazine/6251239.stm

Shaving is a pain...can't see myself giving up though, not with my pale skin and dark hair! I even remove hairs from my arms.

Comments

• Options
    I think some hair (not too much like a beard) is a sign of sexual maturity in a woman and quite attractive. Like, you wouldn't want a girl to shave all her hair off (down below) because she'd be like a 12 year old girl which I guess does it for guys who like to have the youngest thing they can get (well not necessarily, but there's no reason a few hairs should put a man off).

Women are the way they are by evolution / divine creation (:p) and shouldn't be embarressed about it.

"Never, ever read beauty magasines - they will only make you feel ugly."

But then again, different strokes for different folks.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I think some hair (not too much like a beard) is a sign of sexual maturity in a woman and quite attractive. Like, you wouldn't want a girl to shave all her hair off (down below) because she'd be like a 12 year old girl which I guess does it for guys who like to have the youngest thing they can get (well not necessarily, but there's no reason a few hairs should put a man off).

Women are the way they are by evolution / divine creation (:p) and shouldn't be embarressed about it.

"Never, ever read beauty magasines - they will only make you feel ugly."
    :heart:
  • Options
    Did you see that woman that was arrested on Armed & Famous thursday? Her arms? Yikes!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If I grew my fingernails long, had a matted, straggling beard and never washed that would be natural, but not particularly pleasant.
    - Michael, York, UK
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    :heart:
    Indeed :hyper:
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    - Michael, York, UK
    Exactly. Show me a period in time when humans haven't groomed and beautified themselves, and all this "media image" bullshit might have some substance. And I think the idea that women doing it is somehow male-imposed is bullshit as well. It's about attracting men of course, but I suppose men shaving and gelling their hair is just for themselves is it? It's as much male-imposed as mens grooming is female-imposed (some would argue it is :p). By all means, make a point about the natural state if you want, but don't make a point by not shaving your underarms, then go out in full makeup, high heels, a bra, and anything else that is not absolutely essential for your health or comfort.
  • Options
    Exactly. Show me a period in time when humans haven't groomed and beautified themselves, and all this "media image" bullshit might have some substance. And I think the idea that women doing it is somehow male-imposed is bullshit as well. It's about attracting men of course, but I suppose men shaving and gelling their hair is just for themselves is it? It's as much male-imposed as mens grooming is female-imposed (some would argue it is :p). By all means, make a point about the natural state if you want, but don't make a point by not shaving your underarms, then go out in full makeup, high heels, a bra, and anything else that is not absolutely essential for your health or comfort.

But why is hair on women a taboo? Men may groom their hair, but they're allowed to have it. There's a distinct difference between styling it and complete removal. Even girls with a bit of stubble under their arms feel self concious.

We've groomed and beautified ourselves yes, however that doesn't mean to say that women should be a slave to fashion - and a lot of women are. We are such an image concious society that a lot of women hold themselves up to unnattainable standards, they need to look perfect. But as there is no such thing as perfect, they may feel perpetually ugly.

My girlfriend who's a size 8 said she thought she was on the plump size yesterday. Another friend who when I had lunch with her, ate about 10 chips, thought she had a flabby tummy.

Sure, if it makes you feel happy then do it, but don't do it because it's what you feel you're expected to look like.
  • Options
    I've got nothing against hairy women, but there is no way ever i'd get all hairy like. For a start i'd never get laid. Although i could probably get away with it as naturally i have very blonde hair so you can't really see it anyway.
  • Options
    It may be natural to look like a guerilla (sp?), but it's seriously unattractive! I don't like hairy men and i certainly don't like hairy women! Some one pass the hot wax over please...
  • Options
    I'm all for the natural look, but I'm afraid I'm one of those women who has to de-fuzz everywhere! I couldn't bear the thought of everrrr having hairy armpits ARGHHHHHH.

xxx
  • Options
    Maybe it's a cultural thing...my cousins are Spanish and they don't always shave their armpits but they are all stunningly beautiful..so I guess they get away with it.

I don't like hairy armpits though, not even on blokes. My ex shaved his and I suppose I got used to it.
  • Options
    I'm sure there are a few twisted souls who like this kind of thing but if my wife didn't 'de-fuzz' she would quickly be an ex-wife!
    Ben, the City, UK

What a knob! Why is it 'twisted'?!

I shave my legs and underarms and have a tidy up downstairs but not religiously because I have very fair hair anyway. Sometimes I'll go more than a week without shaving my legs but if nobody will see them, what does it matter? I have to say, after a while of not shaving my legs they begin to itch so I do it to stop myself clawing my skin off!

If someone doesn't want to shave then that is their personal choice and I certainly wouldn't call it twisted or unnatural.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    But why is hair on women a taboo? Men may groom their hair, but they're allowed to have it. There's a distinct difference between styling it and complete removal. Even girls with a bit of stubble under their arms feel self concious.
    Well actually, you'll find that although women do most of these things first, men often follow quite quickly (as we're seeing with the underarm thing). I think it's mainly a hygene thing. People constantly get more and more hygenic, and it is just another step in that. And before people jump on the "you can have hair and still be hygenic" bandwagon, I know that, but all other factors equal, it is more hygenic to lose the hair.

On your other point, I think the main problem isn't the fact that women have a 'correct' media image. Men have that too. Men are constantly told that they need to be tall, dark, handsome, with broad shoulders, flat abs and be a good dresser with a 10" dick. Yet men don't seem to have as much of an issue about it, not in comparison to women anyway. I think the main problem is that with women, there is a constant message that this is the only way to be successful and happy, and have a fulfilling life, and that any other achievements are pointless unless you can look pretty while you're doing it. With men, it's more one of many things that you can aspire to. And as such, that is why a man that is successful and happy in other areas of his life will not be looked down on if his grooming isn't up to scratch.
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    ew, hairy armpits on girls is just gross. i personally feel horrible if mine get stubalicious. and my personal preference is to have it all off downstairs, it feels cleaner and nicer. and ive had no complaints of me looking like 'a 12 year old girl'.
    I always have to laugh at that one. Yeah a girl really suddenly looks 12 years old if she shaves her pubes off. God you should market that one. Fuck Olay anti aging cream, shave years off, quite literally. It'd fly out of the stores.
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    ew, hairy armpits on girls is just gross. i personally feel horrible if mine get stubalicious. and my personal preference is to have it all off downstairs, it feels cleaner and nicer. and ive had no complaints of me looking like 'a 12 year old girl'.

Sorry, didn't mean it offensively. If it's your preference then that's fine, but there does seem to be a mood in british popular culture that 'hair = bad' when it simply doesn't. I don't see why some people find a bit of hair so offputting. The '12 year old girl' comment was just a bit of hyperbole, so don't take it too literally ;).

I'm with stupid.... it seems less a specific point about ahir and more a point about societies 'expectations'. Everyone has different preferences, some like to have all their hairs gone, some like them trimmed, some like them natural, but for whatever reason people seem to think the less hair the sexier on women. But I don't see why anyone, man or woman, should hold themselves to other people's expectation. Those who think 'eughhh minggerrr' when they see a girl with armpit hair are those who can't see that beauty isn't just your appearance.

I suppose at the end of the day we live in a judgemental society where you have to dress the right way, look the right way just to be taken seriously. I am pleased that at least some people want to 'break the mold' and try to start a thinking that people don't have to look all the same, that there isn't one universal attractiveness.
  • Options
    So Shyboy you like hairy girls eh...? :p
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:

I don't know actually, it never crossed my mind before... when you look at a guy do you go 'eww he's not nice cos he's got a beard / not got a beard'? I think you're just attracted to the people you're attracted to and you don't know why, there doesn't seem to be any general trends with me :confused: white/black/asian/hairy/nonhairy/stick-thin/athletic/curvy/round I've fancied all of them at one point. But I only tend to fancy a few of the girls I know, like, only one or two in a year I'll be interested in. So who knows!
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I don't know actually, it never crossed my mind before... when you look at a guy do you go 'eww he's not nice cos he's got a beard / not got a beard'?

Oh trust me i never fancy hairy blokes. Never ever ever.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:

no he wants to symphatize with them so he can get laid :D

(just kidding, I picked up you have a g/f).

I hate the fact, that many girls blame their duty to shave and get in order on men. "you want us like that, so we have to do it." blah, my ass. When was the last time a men told you to wear make-up? Heck, I remember back to a thread here on thesite that had an outnumbering amount of men that they prefer women without make-up (or with just veeeery little). Girls do it for themselves, and there is no way you can talk it out of them, because they'd feel ugly for themselves.

Well, tough shit, if you are self-conscious like that, live with it.

I agree with IWS' post (not the last one with the 12 year old, one before that).

there are a hundred things I want to find in a woman, before I check if the armpits are bald. Of course it's a plus, but there are many things that are way more important for me. I have hairy armpits too, and I know it's not particularly sexy, but I don't effing care (in summer I mostly trim them down to 1 cm tho). The removal of hair on some body parts just attests an "I'm taking care of me"-attitude. As dumb as it may sound, but you don't have to do anything to have hair, but you have to do something to get rid of them. there is always a limit tho, like removing the hair of your lower arms :eek2: . I can understand to remove hair where you sweat a large amout or smell in any other way (since the hair keep the odor), but... ah well....

I might be biased tho, because over here girls seem to do a lot more against body hair (without putting a value to that...)
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Oh trust me i never fancy hairy blokes. Never ever ever.

Ok well that's cos girls are more shallow than men.

:p
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    When was the last time a men told you to wear make-up?

Loads of times during the last 2 years when I was going out with my ex! I'm more into the natural look, which my ex-bf accepted most of the time. But there were times when he bugged me to put on make-up, wear nice underwear, shave pretty much everywhere, etc, etc claiming that it would make me feel beautiful! I know what makes me feel beautiful. Shaving all over, putting on make-up, and wearing the underwear that he considered pretty and I considered painful - all because someone told me to (!) - doesn't make me feel beautiful! Makes me feel like a prize pig that he wants to show off! :impissed:

Sometimes I'll do the make-up, shaving etc because I want to, but that's the major difference. When I want to, its ok. When someone else complains and whines until I do because "it makes me feel beautiful", I don't feel beautiful, I feel pissed off and resentful. Not a good basis for any relationship.

Saying that, I do generally wear long trousers and avoid sleeveless tops when I haven't shaved, simply because I don't want people feeling revolted at a girl who hasn't shaved. Its kinda sad that this is what we've come to. Yay for "civilization" :crying:

Oh yeah, and as for hairy blokes, that's their choice. I think a bit of facial stubble looks quite cute on most guys. I saw a newspaper pic of some footballer a while ago, who'd shaved his airpits - looked so weird!

And as for girls shaving their legs, most guys I know have so much hair on their legs, they look like yetis! But I'm not complaining because its natural and normal and if they shaved their legs, I'd run a mile! Saying that, I know one guy who may have to shave his legs cos he's competing in some big swims, but thats for practical reasons, not superficial. Still may look slightly odd though if you didn't know his reasons behind it imho. Lol
  • Options
    Unless it's been a few months, or someone is really up close, I don't think people can tell whether I shave or not. Mostly I don't, sometimes I do. I have been threatened with dumpage by a guy who demanded I shave my armpits because 'his friends would take the piss', which is odd, seeing as tnone of them had noticed for three months!
  • Options
    Pringle wrote:
    Loads of times during the last 2 years...

Well, there are all kind of oddballs in this world. I wonder who you could tolerate such a person for 2 years. There is every kind of freak out there on the face of the planet, but picking one of them isn't the rule, so go out with someone considerate and sensible.
    And as for girls shaving their legs, most guys I know have so much hair on their legs, they look like yetis!

Well, what now? With hair we look like yetis, without you'll run a mile... You act like you couldn't give a toss, when in reality you do!
  • Options
    I like to keep my armpits shaved clean and downstairs tidy. I get it all off down there every few months. With my legs, if I know that no-one will see them I will let them get a little stubbly. A week at most!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    There is every kind of freak out there on the face of the planet, but picking one of them isn't the rule, so go out with someone considerate and sensible.
    Lol, I've learnt my lesson now. Don't worry about that.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Well, what now? With hair we look like yetis, without you'll run a mile... You act like you couldn't give a toss, when in reality you do!
    Sorry I phrased that badly. not all guys look like yetis. ok, only some of the guys I know do. but I don't mean the yetis comment as a bad thing. I actually couldn't give a toss. It would be a bit hypocritical if I got all antsy about hairy guys when I'm not a major shaver myself. I probably wouldn't run a mile if I met a guy who shaved his legs or armpits, but I would find it slightly odd unless it was for practical reasons e.g. sport. Hope this makes more sense now.
  • Options
    I think people should do what the hell they want with their own body hair. I dont get why people are disgusted by it on women when theyre not disgusted by it on men. Its natural on both!
    If you want to shave, then shave. If you dont want to, or CBA then dont. If a man pressurises you or makes you feel gross because you dont, then hes an idiot.
    I know several women who dont shave for whatever reason, and I think good for them.
    I personally bow to societal pressure and shave usually, but not so much these days as I can barely bend to reach my legs, let alone check how smooth my fanny is.
  • Options
    There's a difference between being disgusted by it, and simply finding it more attractive when it's shaved. I couldn't give a shit about men's body hair and what they do with it, because I don't fancy them, but I tend to find girls more attractive when they're smooth, so i can give an opinion.
  • Options
    It has got to the point though where people actually ARE disgusted by it and repulsed as though its something dirty on a woman (but not on a man)
    People dont tend to just view it in the same way that they would view someone who just decided to follow a different fashion. It seems to be more than that, as if women who dont shave are somehow unhygienic.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It has got to the point though where people actually ARE disgusted by it and repulsed as though its something dirty on a woman (but not on a man)

If a man were to grow his facial hair naturally without shaving or trimming it would look pretty disgusting.
    If I grew a beard for a year or two, and then went out on the pull, how lucky do you think I'd get?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I dunno mate but I ain't shaved my legs since birthday weekend mid november and I pull just fine!!!