Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Perks of your job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a general musing really... wasn't sure about putting this in the Work forum as it isn't really about working as such... more what comes from it....

Anyway, what would you say are the perks of your job? Most people have some surely?

I'm all excited you see, as I've just been given a hugeeee bottle of perfume as a thankyou for my "excellent" customer service! I even got to choose the perfume from a list of about 30, and I've only been working there 8 weeks or so. Another perk has to be our quite nice discount, which applies to everything bar phone top ups and gift card purchases. :D

Anyway yes. What's the perks of working where you do? :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    company expenses ;)
    The usual pension, travel insurance, life insurance etc.
    Great social comittee who organise fun events.
    Free vending machines.
    Friendly pub right next door.
    Nice people. Informal environment.
    Flexibility with working hours.

However much I bitch about it, I do have it good!
    I get a free pizza. Shame the boss is a wanker though and the pay.
    Long holidays
    If it wasn't for the perks of my job I would probably have left a long time ago!

Theatre tickets to anything I want to see, gig tickets to anything, press trips, going on one next weekend, 2 nights in 4 star hotel, all food, drinks and a spa session.

meals in restaurants (food reviews), Cds, Dvds (got the box set of teachers and peep show)

Sounds good written down doesn't it... but it's a stressful job with long hours and low pay.
    25% off at next and a very generous clothing (uniform) allowance
    I love my job. One of the best perks is that I don't have to worry about getting time off in the uni holidays because it isn't open in uni vacations! :razz:

Another perk of my job is that I get to see great bands playing and get to talk to them before/after their gig. Its great.
    :chin: Well the boss is quite nice.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Being sworn at, being told that they hate me, shouting so much in order to be heard I lose my voice ... the list goes on!

I love it, really :p
    The people are good and the boss is pretty flexible. Makes a lot of difference.
    Being sworn at, being told that they hate me, shouting so much in order to be heard I lose my voice ... the list goes on!

I love it, really :p

lol, what do you do then?

i guess there are a couple of nice perks in this job compared to my last two....

company benefits are flexible so i can swap pay for extra holiday/private medical cover/company car etc....means i can have up to 30 days holiday a year, which is great if you love travelling like me...

i don't have a manager watching my every move, and i can work from home 2/3 days a week once i'm a bit more autonomous which is pretty cool, think i'll have to move a bit further away from work before i can justify it but looking forward to that....

they take all the employees abroad somewhere for a few days at the beginning of every financial year, this year they are flying us out to prague and putting us up in the hilton for 3 days or so, should be good fun...

and despite all this they still have quite a high turnover in my team, so it's not all roses but i'll stick it out for now.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    If it wasn't for the perks of my job I would probably have left a long time ago!

Theatre tickets to anything I want to see, gig tickets to anything, press trips, going on one next weekend, 2 nights in 4 star hotel, all food, drinks and a spa session.

meals in restaurants (food reviews), Cds, Dvds (got the box set of teachers and peep show)

Sounds good written down doesn't it... but it's a stressful job with long hours and low pay.

wow . . . what do you do?
    rachie004 wrote:
    The travel concessions - I only pay 10% of what normal bod prices would be :yippe:

The trips/places we get to go to and staying in superb hotels

Being paid flight duty allowances to be asleep/out on the piss with your crew

Meeting a wide range of varied people from different backgrounds etc

6 weeks hols a year :yippe:

*is jealous*

how hard is it to get cabin crew work then, what sort of skills do you need for it? i've often thought of taking a year or two out of IT and trying that out, or being a tour rep/guide, but not at those ibiza-esque/shagaluf type destinations. one day...
    lol, what do you do then?

Hehe, I teach in a rough inner city primary school. I didn't have a great day yesterday but generally I love what I do. Swearing and things is just an everyday occurence, though. And yesterday, one of the children told me that he hates the school, hates me and wishes I would die. Then stormed out of school. Needless to say, this is being followed up on Monday!
    My last job had food almost every day and if you were quick enough before the herd, you could get some. And because I was in the front I got tons of paper and post its and all that jazz from all the drug reps and the candy machine man alwys left candy for me and the girl working next to me when he came to refill. and if you were ever sick you had any otc drug in the country to choose from... even Butt Paste, but I doubt anybody would ask for that no matter how bad.

Sadly, those were the only perks :p
    My perks? Fit blokes in the office?
    I dont know. Got a good Xmas bonus, they can be really flexable with holidays, occasional staff teambuilding trips (we went Go-karting and fishing last year). Most of the departments are really close and get on well but I'm the odd man out. Long hours and awful pay makes me want to leave soo much.
    Hehe, I teach in a rough inner city primary school. I didn't have a great day yesterday but generally I love what I do. Swearing and things is just an everyday occurence, though. And yesterday, one of the children told me that he hates the school, hates me and wishes I would die. Then stormed out of school. Needless to say, this is being followed up on Monday!

I taught in a school like that. I had a boy who'd constantly contradict me, start fights and bully other children. There was another boy who threw a chair at the head teacher and believe me 6-7 year old children telling eachother to fuck off was a regular occurance. Thankfully it was a short term contract otherwise i'd have gone out of my mind. I'm working in supply now and it's so nice to be teaching children who respect me and want to learn!

Anyway perks of my job (in supply) i chose when i work. If i wake up and don't feel like work, i don't. Of course i don't get paid for days i'm not working...
    Free Life, medical and illness insurance
    5% put into a pension even if i contribute nothing
    Can buy extra holiday
    Occassional free meals and stuff after work.
    Team building trips
    Xmas party is completely free, drinks included.
    Lots of little stuff as well, mug, random free trays fo cakes bought and left in kitchen, etc...
    Fridge is kept stocked with juice and soft drinks and stuff for free :D <-- most important thing obviously.
    satehen wrote:
    I taught in a school like that. I had a boy who'd constantly contradict me, start fights and bully other children. There was another boy who threw a chair at the head teacher and believe me 6-7 year old children telling eachother to fuck off was a regular occurance. Thankfully it was a short term contract otherwise i'd have gone out of my mind. I'm working in supply now and it's so nice to be teaching children who respect me and want to learn!

This is the thing though. I much prefer to be working in this sort of school. Yes, there are countless behaviour problems and the only bit of stability some of the children get is in school because their homelives are absolutely shocking. However, it is so rewarding when they actually listen to you, when they learn something, when they find what you are saying interesting. I have it harder than the other teachers as I do a float role and don't get time to build up relationships with the children as I could be in their class for an hour a week.

For example, there is one child who has been excluded countless times, in seclusion regularly and has horrible behaviour problems (I was teaching his class the other day and he actually tried to strangle a child) but just small things like going 'Hey Miss, how's your day been?' just makes all the difference in the world. It's hard to explain.

I'd rather work in a rough inner city school like this than a leafy suburb where the kids just do what they are told as and when.
    Some nice Francesco (totti) in the department
    Internal e-mail so you can bitch about people
    Staff directory so you can look up who you shagged the night before if you were too drunk to remember what she looked like
    You're allowed to drink at lunchtime

Erm...aye.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Erm, free pens. Get to sit on my arse all day, watch TV when its quiet, we have some nice ladies, get to be amazingly lazy, the pay is OK - thats pretty much it.
    10% staff discount, comes in handy when i'm doing my food shopping! not that i buy a lot..

the hours suit me as does the pay. but that's it. :p
    I get free food on my break. And various discounts at various places.
    the IT manager :flirt:
    12% discount at Waitrose/John Lewis.
    Annual bonus (last year was 15% of total earnings from that year, fingers crossed that we get a good bonus this year). Shame we now have to pay tax on it though.
    50% ticket subsidy up to £60 for gigs, concerts, etc.
    Non-contributory pension starts after a while but I don't think that will affect me as I'll quit in a few years after uni.
    Subsidised dining room.
    Time and a half on a Sunday and on anything over 39 hrs in a week.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    No perks when you work for yourself. :(

As a Telecoms Engineer I used to have comapny car/van, fuel card, mobile phone, laptop, various tools but they were necessities rther than perks.
    I'd get an extra days pay every month if the company did better than projected, and extra half a week quartlery if better than projected and and weeks pay every year...
    I'd get digs paid, £15 for overnight food&beer + up to £10 for breakfast. I'd also have unlimited use of the video on demand and broadband.
    I was only on a basic rate of £375 a week but after overtime, travelling time and the fact my can and fuel were free. I was taking home a reasonable amount of money. Not far off what I do now.
    I did alright by them until the fucked me off. I wanna be emplyed again. :(

And I used to get golf membership when I was a Greenkeeper - worth over £500.
    That's about it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Nice pay, flexable work hours, its close to home, decent boss. Shame its dull as watching a brick wall though.
    5% matched pension contribution.
    Free tea and coffee
    Reduced rate private health insurance and travel insurance and a load of other stuff - not that i've investigated this fully.
    24 days annual leave - plus TOIL so I get about another 4 or 5 days on top of this.
    I can also theoretically get charity discount on flights but in practice you can normally get a better deal.
    I can wear what ever I like.
    Oh and a wicked maternity package of 6 months on full pay or a year on half pay.
    Plus I get to travel overseas at least twice a year (Normally to India and Colombia)and I get to work with some amazingly inspiring people.

However I don't have flexiable working hours - which I did have in my last job and I realllllllly miss.