Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are your boyfriends any good at cooking?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This one's for the girls..
I'm Italian and I'm moving in with my boyfriend in March (I'm currently still studying in Italy, just about to graduate).
We spent a month together in his flat back in August and most of the times it was my job to sort out dinner. I didn't mind..I love cooking :heart:
Whenever he said he'd cook dinner it was always burger & chips, sausages & mash or chilli ;)
Basically, there are just a very few things he can make..
Are your boyfriends any better?
Or shall we send them all to a cooking evening course?

Comments

• Options
    My exes have all been like this! Though I have recently aquired a new man, it hasn't come up in conversation but I doubt he's the type to cook!
    I'm glad though, I like to do all the cooking and I hate the washing up.
  • Options
    No but he makes a mean cup of tea :D And sometimes it arrives without me having to ask. Bliss :heart:
  • Options
    Lad I'm seeing is a qualified chef! He made me some sexual sea bass in some browny lemony zingy sauce and potatoes and veg, yum.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    My exes have all been like this! Though I have recently aquired a new man, it hasn't come up in conversation but I doubt he's the type to cook!
    I'm glad though, I like to do all the cooking and I hate the washing up.

Oh yeah, I'm the same.. cooking's fine but I hate the washing up.
    Mental note: buy a dishwasher when I eventually get a job :yippe:
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Lad I'm seeing is a qualified chef! He made me some sexual sea bass in some browny lemony zingy sauce and potatoes and veg, yum.

Lucky girl :D
    I never knew sea bass could be sexual, hehe
  • Options
    Lucky girl :D
    I never knew sea bass could be sexual, hehe
    well it can be a bit fishy.....
  • Options
    He can cook a great deal better than I can, although granted that's not saying a lot, he does make me yummy food :heart:.
  • Options
    :grump:
  • Options
    me and my ex used to make a good spag bol. granted we did use a jar but we added things like pepper and garlic. now i can make a home made one from scratch - i think he'd like it! :D
  • Options
    me and my ex used to make a good spag bol. granted we did use a jar but we added things like pepper and garlic. now i can make a home made one from scratch - i think he'd like it! :D

Nice one :thumb:
    Cooking italian food is not difficult at all, it just takes a bit of practice.
    I can't stand all that so-called 'authentic italian food' (Dolmio stuff, for example): it may be nice but certainly it's not authentic.
    Mind you, being italian, I sometimes can't help being a bit fussy about italian food in England.
    I'm gonna have to learn how to cook some english food for my boyfriend.
    It can't be that hard, can it?
  • Options
    Being honest - I have only been out with one or two girls/women who were better in the kitchen than I. Many could barely boil an egg, yet just about all of the blokes I know are pretty good cooks!

Many a time I have recalled the offer of "shall I cook?", and me politely offering assistance to ensure things didn't mess up as I usually expected.
  • Options
    My other half has never cooked for me in the 5 and a half years we've been together :(
  • Options
    My chap thinks he's the master of so-called "fusion" cooking as he is half Swedish, half-Sicilian.

Unfortunately he hasn't inherited any flair whatsoever for either type of kitchen magic... but he does make a mean pumpkin risotto so I suppose all is forgiven :yum:
  • Options
    Most of them have pretty good at choosing restaurants, if that counts?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    My boyfriend is good at cooking, and to give him his dues, he does normally help me when I am cooking. I think I might ask him to do something nice this weekend actually!
  • Options
    I'm a bloke and I can cook quite well, even if I say so myself.
  • Options
    My husband is terrible at cooking - his idea of cooking is to buy a frozen pizza and put it in the oven - THATS it - he never cooks anythign else ever - not only that he doesn't even think of buying anythign else to cook. But he can just about manage heating somethign i've left him in the freezer and if left to his own devices normally will eat cold sardeens on toast.

In the whole of the time we have been going out he has only cooked me one meal from scratch which was microwaved egg fried rice with a steak on top and then on top of that he mixed up redwine and borsain (both cold) and then poured it over. For desert we had vegetable samosa's with marmalade.

The thing is and this is possibly the worrying party he works in the food industry..............
  • Options
    He's good at grilling meats. Shame I hate meats.

Growing up, it was always my dad who cooked the meals. He was a great cook.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    My other half has never cooked for me in the 5 and a half years we've been together :(

Whatttttttt? Mr Glittery needs a kicking. ;)

My boyf can cook when he needs to, but it's limited. He always offers to make tea though so I wont complain! :)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Whatttttttt? Mr Glittery needs a kicking. ;)
    It's rather shocking isnt it, although he doesnt even cook for himself, I do everything! When I was in hospital having Abbie I had to leave him enough frozen dinners to last him while I was gone!

I think he made me toast once before and it was only done on one side so I told him never to make me it again :p
  • Options
    He has a go which i appreciate but i must admit i'm so bad, i can't just let him get on with it i have to continually check what he's doing and force my help on him, and then in the end it turns into me cooking it anyway!
    It's terrible really but i can't help it, it would appear i'm a bit of a kitchen control freak, oh well :p
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    It's rather shocking isnt it, although he doesnt even cook for himself, I do everything! When I was in hospital having Abbie I had to leave him enough frozen dinners to last him while I was gone!

:lol: Now that is funny,.
    Oh dear poor bloke (or poor you!) i think you should buy him a jamie oliver book for his next birthday!
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote:
    it would appear i'm a bit of a kitchen control freak, oh well :p
    I am too, whenever I go to my Sisters I end up taking over and cooking :o
  • Options
    He has less skill than me but is also much less lazy therfore I am glad to let him do the food.
  • Options
    How can all these people not cook!? :eeek: Its not exactly taxing.
    Theres no skill involved in cooking what-so-ever its all about timing (and if you have no imagination - reading from a cookery book)
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    How can all these people not cook!? :eeek: Its not exactly taxing.
    Theres no skill involved in cooking what-so-ever its all about timing (and if you have no imagination - reading from a cookery book)

:no:
  • Options
    my dads one piece of advice for me is: Marry someone who can cook... cos hes a really good cook
  • Options
    Not really. He did look after me and cook for me when I was ill recently but its mainly pasta and pizza and stuff you just bung in the oven, which is fine and I wouldnt complain because im not averse to bunging a pizza in the oven myself, but im the one who cooks 99 times out of 100
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

LOL

I don't have a boyfriend. My dad will sometimes cook for us (used to at least) if mum was working. I think one time he was moaning because we'd asked him to cook us something it didn't say how long it had to be cooked for...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I have to say, I think I'm a better cook than most of the girls I've been with.
    I certainly show more enthusiam than most of the girls I know and can cook a wider range of dishes I think.
    Weekender Offender