Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How much do you earn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I'm nosy.
How old are you, how much do you earn, and how much do you expect to earn when you get to the top of your career path?

I'm 24, I earn just under 15K which goes up to just under 16K next month. And I'd expect to be earning around 25k to 30k soon in a few years time.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Since a week tomorrow... 0

Its quite nice. I would not say no to being a kept woman. However, by next week that shall be the end of that :(
    I'm 18 and I earn £5 an hour but soon to be raised to about £5.50, only my part time job though while I'm at college.
    I'm 18, and I earn £5.46 an hour as my part time job, then I do various other things to earn me odd money. When I leave college, by rule of thumb most starting therapists earn about £11,000 per year in our area. But, depending on where you work and how much you're willing to try and qualify in, it can go up to the late twenties/early thirties with more experience. You've got to be lucky though.
    About £4K a year less the industry average for my qualifications/experience. When I'm fully qualifed (accountancy) no idea. At least £40K a year easily.
    nothing at the moment... boo!
    I got £7.50 an hour for my summer job, and about £5.50 for lifeguarding.

When I finally graduate I'd like lots please, and hopefully with an MEng from Cambridge in Chemical Engineering I'll get it. Chem Engers are the highest paid Engineering graduates which is a good start.
    I'm 20, and i earn roughly 13k. I can't see this improving much with my lack of qualifications. I'm toying with the idea of eventually going to uni though so who knows.
    I don't "earn" anything but I do get housing benefit (£103.50 a week) and income support (£45.50 a week).

I'm 22 (nearly 23!) and have a 2:1 Bachelor of Science degree from University College London so in theory if I get well my earning capacity will be high but there are a lot of hurdles to be overcome first.
    Minimum wage...£4.45 for my age (20) will go up when i'm 22 and when i become fully qualified to about £5.50 maybe! Its rubbish!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm 25, self employed and earn between £10 and £13 and hour as a Data Engineer. If I do a six day week I can earn between £600 and £800 a week. But usually I earn somewhere in the region of £500 to £600.

Every now and again though work can dry up and I can find myself out of work for a couple of days.

ETA, I've got afew A Levels but no education beyond that as such. A few Telecom training courses.
    Not that I use any of it. All I need is my CSCS.
    Weekender Offender 
    Am 24 and on my first permanent job out of flunking my last year of uni, lol.

18k at the moment but that should rise by a few grand when i get promoted within the year, and then i'll start studying for acturial exams.
    My full time salary is £16,100 a year (but I'm only part time) and I'm 27 with no degree.
    £230 a month but i only work 6 hours a week. :p
    2' 6 a month and all the whelks i can stomach :D
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    £7 an hour for 15hrs a week, plus £5k student loan a year.
    I'm 18 and first year at uni. I have a part time job at 5.35/h and my minimum hours are 7.45/week.

When I graduate I will earn at least 20k starting salary at age 22/23
    I'm 21 and I earn £17,600.

ETA - I've got fuck all qualifications... but then I just do a fairly crap job with an amazing wage.
    Jazza wrote:
    When I graduate I will earn at least 20k starting salary at age 22/23

Is that guaranteed though? My sister came out of Uni with a very good vocational degree and only earns slightly more than I do. I see more of my wage packet as I'm not paying back a student loan. Employers these days seem to want degrees for what (in my mind) should be apprenticeship style jobs :(
    I'm currently working in supply (as a teacher) i get paid £96 a day before tax. If i were working f/t in a school i'd be earning around £18.5k before tax.
    Is that guaranteed though? My sister came out of Uni with a very good vocational degree and only earns slightly more than I do. I see more of my wage packet as I'm not paying back a student loan. Employers these days seem to want degrees for what (in my mind) should be apprenticeship style jobs :(
    Well I've been told so, I want to be a teacher and they're guaranteed a probationary year and the salary is die to rise again by the time I graduate. I think right now it's about 19k
    Just under £15k. Might be jumping up to £18k soon.

If I stuck with this job (which I won't) I could, theoretically, earn about £50k a year. I have a non-vocational degree.

When I write my best seller, I expect the film rights to keep me in whores and coke until I die in a jacuzzi somewhere in Morocco after a life of debached hedonism.

Oh, and I'm 24.
    I only earn about £10k at the moment, but doing a job that's pretty good on a CV because I'm responsible for quite a lot. Quite lucky I'm living with my parents tbh. I reckon I'll be looking at £16k+ for my next job, but I'm trying to get into TV work as well.

So that will involve a bit of free work, a bit of paid work, a bit of everything really, just to get my CV up to scratch. My potential earnings aren't exactly capped though. In TV, you're looking at £200 a day minimum as a cameraman, rising to six figures as a director or close to six figures as a DOP, editor or any of the other important production jobs. In films, it just depends on the size of the budget. You can be a director working for expenses and food each day (because obviously anything not spent on paying the production staff can be spent on making the film better), or you can be one of the best camera operators around working for a huge salary. It's just a case of how good you are and what people are willing to pay. So since you're saying "potential earnings" I'll say eight figures as a director, plus a cut in the royalties. :D
    I only earn about £10k at the moment, but doing a job that's pretty good on a CV because I'm responsible for quite a lot. Quite lucky I'm living with my parents tbh. I reckon I'll be looking at £16k+ for my next job, but I'm trying to get into TV work as well.

So that will involve a bit of free work, a bit of paid work, a bit of everything really, just to get my CV up to scratch. My potential earnings aren't exactly capped though. In TV, you're looking at £200 a day minimum as a cameraman, rising to six figures as a director or close to six figures as a DOP, editor or any of the other important production jobs. In films, it just depends on the size of the budget. You can be a director working for expenses and food each day (because obviously anything not spent on paying the production staff can be spent on making the film better), or you can be one of the best camera operators around working for a huge salary. It's just a case of how good you are and what people are willing to pay. So since you're saying "potential earnings" I'll say eight figures as a director, plus a cut in the royalties. :D
    the guy im seeing is a 3rd assistant director. he says the money is pretty good but then the hours he works is fuckin ridiculous. at the moment he leaves home at 5.30am and then doesn't get home til 8 or 9 at night. i've known him for a couple of years now and he has had some good jobs (wrks for the bbc) but he really does work his arse off. not that he would want any other job!
    lipsy wrote:
    the guy im seeing is a 3rd assistant director. he says the money is pretty good but then the hours he works is fuckin ridiculous. at the moment he leaves home at 5.30am and then doesn't get home til 8 or 9 at night. i've known him for a couple of years now and he has had some good jobs (wrks for the bbc) but he really does work his arse off. not that he would want any other job!
    As a 3rd AD? I have friends who are researchers on TV, and they're on about £14k so I'd guess he makes about £20k? And yeah, you work ridiculous hours in TV and film, which is why you get paid a lot. I'm not into the whole working my way up thing personally. I just want enough experience so that people will know I'm serious, and fund me to make a short film (the good old lottery, hehe). I'm all about the instant gratification. You'll have to put me in contact with him sometime. He based in Manchester?
    5.35 per hour x 14 hours a week (more in the holidays) + student loan & grant
    As a 3rd AD? I have friends who are researchers on TV, and they're on about £14k so I'd guess he makes about £20k? And yeah, you work ridiculous hours in TV and film, which is why you get paid a lot. I'm not into the whole working my way up thing personally. I just want enough experience so that people will know I'm serious, and fund me to make a short film (the good old lottery, hehe). I'm all about the instant gratification. You'll have to put me in contact with him sometime. He based in Manchester?
    yeh he is :) he worked his way up though. he went to uni then got some work experience as a runner and it went from there. he works in tv though, whereas you want to work in films?
    lipsy wrote:
    yeh he is :) he worked his way up though. he went to uni then got some work experience as a runner and it went from there. he works in tv though, whereas you want to work in films?
    Films or TV drama or comedy really. Just not entertainment television, documentary, live TV, news or anything like that. I've got a friend based in Manchester who could've got me loads of work on entertainment television, but I think it's shit so I'm not interested (he's currently working on Jeremy Kyle for fuck's sake.). So yeah, depends what he does really.

i like your style, gotta reach for the stars ay....

I'm 22 and on roughly 30k when all's said and done, which I've been told is below the london average :eek2: i'm still only very junior in this field and some of the chaps who've been here 5 years or so are on ~80k+, the commission's uncapped so in theory it's just how good you are in the sales world, but i'm not in it for the long run because if you're not doing what you love you're throwing your life away, and i still haven't figured out what i love doing......well maybe i have in another sense, but that's for a different thread :naughty:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    but i'm not in it for the long run because if you're not doing what you love you're throwing your life away, and i still haven't figured out what i love doing......well maybe i have in another sense, but that's for a different thread :naughty:

I completely agree.
    I don't earn bad money at the moment, but I'm bored to death. The problem is I'm 25 and still havn't figured out what I really enjoy yet.
    Weekender Offender 
    Exactly. Reach for the stars, and if you fall short, you've still had a laugh along the way doing something you love. And when "falling short" still gives you a pretty decent lifestyle and wage, that's just a bonus.