Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Nice City to move to in the North?

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Moss Side's apparently getting a huge revamp too, in the same way that salford and the city centre did, so it might not be a shithole for much longer.
    Kermit wrote:
    Longsight is shit, as is most of north Manchester out as far as Chadderton.
    actually North West of Manchester is nice. its the East side which is shitty. same goes for the south of Manchester: West is nice, East is rough.
    Moss Side's apparently getting a huge revamp too, in the same way that salford and the city centre did, so it might not be a shithole for much longer.
    well that would be good. what makes moss side bad though are the gangs.
    lipsy wrote:
    well that would be good. what makes moss side bad though are the gangs.
    Not if they get priced out though. Let's face it, that's what they'll do, and they'll all migrate North and West. ;)
    Kermit wrote:
    Manchester bus prices are going up though- its odds on that UK North are going to have their operator's licence revoked.

Increase by how much though? You pay 50/60p for a bus journey at the moment, and that's cheap as chips IMO.
    Addict wrote:
    Increase by how much though? You pay 50/60p for a bus journey at the moment, and that's cheap as chips IMO.
    i fuckin don't! £3.30 for a day rider and thats much dearer than in leeds. my bus journey is only 15-20mins yet a day rider is cheaper than a single.
    Day rider (on First) is £3.30 at peak time here. £2.30 otherwise.
    Day rider (on First) is £3.30 at peak time here. £2.30 otherwise.
    i don't know how much it costs peak time here. £3.30 is off-peak.
    lipsy wrote:
    actually North West of Manchester is nice. its the East side which is shitty. same goes for the south of Manchester: West is nice, East is rough.

Yeah, you're right, its me getting my east and west muddled up.

I wouldn't live anywhere up Oldham Road- Miles Platting is awful, so's Newton Heath, and just when you think you're safe, you get to Oldham. Chadderton is alright, though.

I'd live out of the city in somewhere like Royton or Shaw if I had to, but then I don't like big cities. I live way out of the city here too.

Bus prices in Manchester are cheap if you live on Wilmslow Road, because of Magic Bus and the rest, but I doubt they will stay that low once the killers at UK North get taken off the road. In the rest of the city they are about as expensive as anywhere else. A DayRider on Stagecoach here is £2.90, and my annual ticket sets me back the thick end of £500.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Can't be any worse than fucking Arriva here. Who have completely abandoned off peak fares all together. So what was £1.45 off peak is now £2.20 anytime.

Twats.
    We've never had peak/off-peak fares up here.
    Kermit wrote:
    We've never had peak/off-peak fares up here.

Nor in Edinburgh.

We have a £1 flat rate for any bus journey. A day ticket costs £2.30. Nightbuses (12 am - 5 am) cost £2 though.

You can get a ridacard for £30 a month.
    I thought Manchester only had 1 charge, other than on the night buses where any journey is £2. Day tickets are £3 (or they were before Christmas) for unlimited travel on any stagecoach/magic bus, or £2 for specific services. Arriva are the only stupidly expensive bus company in Manc, but it does depend on your route with stagecoach.
    Kermit wrote:
    A lot of Manchester stories are apocryphal, mind. Our friend lives in a terrace just off Platt Lane and she's never been shot, stabbed, raped or burgled. I don't think that that area is that bad anymore, although two streets can make a lot of difference in Moss Side/Whalley Grange.

Longsight is shit, as is most of north Manchester out as far as Chadderton.

Manchester bus prices are going up though- its odds on that UK North are going to have their operator's licence revoked.

I had student mates that lived on Platt Lane and another few who lives just off Platt Lane... the amount of times they were burgled/mugged in that area was ridiculous. Cars were vandalised, all sorts. I wouldn't choose to live there in any case. The next year they moved to central Fallowfield (behind the main run of pubs/bars/shops) and never had a second of bother.

The rest I kind of agree with - I think everything up to Chadderton is a shithole (Miles Platting, Collyhurst, etc) and Longsight/Levenshulme are shitholes, too. I went to Chorlton the other day - whoever said it was the new Didsbury was talking out of their arse :p It's horrible!

Technically Stockport is in Cheshire, but it's half decent, house/flat prices are cheap (theres a brand new build of flats in central Stockport, 2 double bedroom flats going for £475pm) and its 10 minutes away from Manchester on the direct trains that run like, every 5-10 minutes. The bus takes about 30 mins. Piss easy.
    If you're on Wilsmlow Road then the bus fares are cheap- usually a day ticket is your best bet- but everywhere else they are the same price as anywhere else. First charge normal prices, so do Stagecoach, so do Arriva. The 111 is charged normally, and that runs pararllel to Wilmslow Road for most of it.

As I said, I think two streets make a lot of difference in that area around Platt Lane- the street my mate lives on is nice, but I wouldn't want to leave my car three streets away. Chorlton's not that bad, but I wouldn't pay those prices to live there!
    I went to Chorlton the other day - whoever said it was the new Didsbury was talking out of their arse :p It's horrible!
    no i wasn't. theres a lot of new development going on in chorlton and there ar elots of little cafes and cute shops.

stockport is kind of far out. i wouldnt want to rely on trains all the time. it would be like me going out clubbing in bolton. would cost a fortune in taxis.
    It costs me a fiver to get home from Manchester after a night out... £2.50 on the bus, £2.50 for some scran from the 24 hour Spar, and a 2 minute walk from the bus stop to my little house in Offerton. ;) Or, no scran and a £2.50 taxi to my front door from the bus stop. Pretty cheap, really. Trains are about £3 return, too.

Maybe I missed the nice bit of Chorlton, because the bit I saw was pretty dog-rough... it wasn't too far away from the Pipex place?
    Kermit wrote:
    As I said, I think two streets make a lot of difference in that area around Platt Lane- the street my mate lives on is nice, but I wouldn't want to leave my car three streets away. Chorlton's not that bad, but I wouldn't pay those prices to live there!

Like I said, I personally wouldn't live anywhere around that area. Some scumbag of an estate agent tried to rip me and my mate off a couple of years ago, offering us a house in 'Fallowfield' that was right near Maine Road - just near the chippy where, a few years ago, a 15 year old (might have been younger?) lad got shot dead because some wankers knew he had a few thousand pounds of inheritance in the bank. Niceeee.
    It costs me a fiver to get home from Manchester after a night out... £2.50 on the bus, £2.50 for some scran from the 24 hour Spar, and a 2 minute walk from the bus stop to my little house in Offerton. ;) Or, no scran and a £2.50 taxi to my front door from the bus stop. Pretty cheap, really. Trains are about £3 return, too.

Maybe I missed the nice bit of Chorlton, because the bit I saw was pretty dog-rough... it wasn't too far away from the Pipex place?
    i only ever get taxis you see! but if you can handle the bus at whatever time in the morning on a comedown then more power to you!

no idea where in chorlton. its something i've read about and also when i passed through it in the car.
    The area around Pipex is horrid as is the main street through Chorlton, but if you go slightly off the main road there are some nice areas with nice shops and cafes and restaurants.
    I went to University in Liverpool. There's a great nightlife there, but there are plenty of dodgy areas, crime and beggars. But as has been said, this comes as standard with any city. If you chose to go there, get a place in one of the nicer areas.
    briggi wrote:
    I would love to live in Manchester! I don't think it's any less safe than anywhere else if you have your head screwed on. If I move somewhere else in England it will be Mancland for sure, but then I suppose those feelings depend on who you know there and what experiences you've had of it.

Newcastle is, of course, fabulous but I get the impression you want to stay in the NW?
    Manchester :thumb:

It has an decent and very affordable nightlife and doesn't cost too much to live there. It's not far from Cheshire either.