Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Nice City to move to in the North?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i used to adore leeds but since moving back to manchester i've realised what a pile of shite it is. its alot smaller than manchester and it is FULL of posers who only buy from rip-off crap that is 'all saints'.

manchester is so indie cool i love it! most people are still really fashionable but with their own unique slant on things in a 'i just rolled out of bed but still look this good' way. and the city is really big and lively. so many shops- we have a lot of flagship stores here. and the nightlife is really varied - from your underground clubbing to mainstream to indie to celebrity.

and what is this shit im hearing about how unsafe it is. fuck i've never seen ONE fight in manchester. i've never had ANY trouble. yet i've seen fights in leeds and i visited newcastle for oen night and saw TWO fights!! but ya know thats probably just unlucky. its a big city, you're always gona get crime. yes there are some really rough areas but you just need to stay away from certain areas. if they support manchester city stay the fuck away!
    sophia wrote:
    I lived right by the Mosque in Burley. It was fine, not too dodgy (I didn't get broken into once in three years, which I think is a record for a Leeds student; most of my friends got burgled once or twice a semester). It was just quite scummy and dirty, rather than particularly dangerous. Meh, I'm just a snob, I have stupidly high standards for student accomodation I think, but I just hated how dirty and scruffy and ugly Leeds is.

I agree about the taxis, but buses here are cheaper, and being a scuffer I get buses far more often so I'm happy :D
    well serves you right for living in the shit part! i lived in headingley :p
    oh but come on its so much nicer than the holes that are burley and hydepark. i didn't have bars on my windows for a start! i guess thats what you pay for... and as soon as the sun started shining everyone used to hang out in their gardens and have BBQs. ah those were the days :)
    Okkkk so where in Manchester would you reccommend me to look at and where would you reccommend me to stay well clear from? Lol.
    If I ever move away from Edinburgh it will be to Manchester. I absolutely love Manchester. I try to go down as much as I can and know loads of people down there. The nightlife's fantastic, and I think it's got a unique kind of feeling about it. I'd certainly take Manchester over London, any day of the week. The people are so much more friendly, and it's obviously a lot less expensive than the capital.

That said, Manchester is nowhere near Edinburgh on the beauty and culture stakes, and I feel infinitely more safe in Edinburgh, compared to many other cities I've been in. The way most of the flats in Edinburgh are built, it's almost impossible to be burgled, and I've never felt unsafe walking around the streets. The clubbing, while not as varied as Manchester, has a smaller more underground scene, and I don't think any club in Britain could drag me away from my beloved Cabaret Voltaire, which is built in the ancient subterranean caverns of the old town. You just won't get that kind of thing in other cities.

I'll still probably move to Manchester some day though. Who knows what will happen when I graduate.
    Addict wrote:
    I don't think any club in Britain could drag me away from my beloved Cabaret Voltaire, which is built in the ancient subterranean caverns of the old town. You just won't get that kind of thing in other cities..
    that sounds similar to a club called 'mission' in leeds. it was built under railway arches but they've expanded the place now and its lost all of its character.

snowwhitequeen...its hard to suggest somewhere really. the city centre would be your best bet but expensive. although there are loads of developments on the outskirts of the centre which would be cheaper. chorlton is an up an coming area a bit like didsbury and very near to it. disdbury might be too expensive for you really. fallowfield is the student area and closer to the centre but i've never been to it. i guess it would be cheapish.
    lipsy wrote:
    yes there are some really rough areas but you just need to stay away from certain areas. if they support manchester city stay the fuck away!
    That rules out most of the city then. :p Maybe it's just because you're a scummy red. I can walk through the Man City areas no problem. I remember back in the day when "secure car park" meant that you paid some chav kid a couple of quid to sit on your car 'til the football was over. Much better than the new stadium. Incidentally, what's Ardwick or Beswick like to live in? I'd be quite tempted to live near the football ground.

Oh and since no-one's mentioned it yet, what about Chester? Never been there, don't have a clue about it, but it's a city in the North, so there.
    That rules out most of the city then. :p Maybe it's just because you're a scummy red. I can walk through the Man City areas no problem. I remember back in the day when "secure car park" meant that you paid some chav kid a couple of quid to sit on your car 'til the football was over. Much better than the new stadium. Incidentally, what's Ardwick or Beswick like to live in? I'd be quite tempted to live near the football ground.

Oh and since no-one's mentioned it yet, what about Chester? Never been there, don't have a clue about it, but it's a city in the North, so there.
    naaa i'm sure you can walk through them no problem but generally the shitty areas are man city areas. no idea about ardwick or beswick. in fact i've barely heard of them. but if its near the footy ground then i'd say not that great!
    lipsy wrote:
    naaa i'm sure you can walk through them no problem but generally the shitty areas are man city areas. no idea about ardwick or beswick. in fact i've barely heard of them. but if its near the footy ground then i'd say not that great!
    I think there's an easy way to tell. I just need to get an address in each area, and then get a quote for car insurance. The higher the quote, the shittier the area.
    I think there's an easy way to tell. I just need to get an address in each area, and then get a quote for car insurance. The higher the quote, the shittier the area.
    i don't think its as easy as that. i only know about when i had insurance in leeds. but my insurance in headingley (which is quite a nice area) was much higher than insurance in hyde park/burley way which is a shit hole with bars on all the windows. thats just because nicer areas are more likely to get picked on for burglaries.
    no idea how it works for car insurance though. buyt yeh. if you wana do that then go head!
    Hmm, well I got quoted nearly £4000 for the city centre, over £2000 for Moss Side and Levenshulme, and about £1800 for Salford Quays, when I was getting quoted just over £1000 back home. I know car crime is only one factor, but I'd reckon it's a good indicator of how much crime there is in general. I'd say student areas are usually more attractive to theives because they generally have expensive things with hardly any security.
    lol, why did you ask for a quote for moss side?

eta: i don't think the insurance tells you much really. i would NEVER want to live in moss side yet i'd adore to live in the city centre even with its higher insurance.
    lipsy wrote:
    lol, why did you ask for a quote for moss side?

eta: i don't think the insurance tells you much really. i would NEVER want to live in moss side yet i'd adore to live in the city centre even with its higher insurance.

lol This moss side place sounds like a right shithole. What's to bad about it?
    pill 'ed wrote:
    its where all the gangs are!!
    pill 'ed wrote:

It's actually a really nice place if you want to get shot.
    Ardwick is horrible, and super rough. :p As is Longsight and Levenshulme - definitely places you won't want to live, Stacey!

I reckon you should look at the City Centre and then move your way out to places like Fallowfield, Withington, Didsbury, Stockport, maybe Salford. Lipsy mentioned Chorlton - I've only been once, it seems OK but it's the other side of Manchester to me so I'm not too hot on it! Bascially, anywhere within short travelling distance to Manchester - there are trams, buses and trains.

Places you definitely want to try and avoid - Miles Platting/Oldham Road area, Northern Quarter/Ancoats, Ardwick, Longsight, Levenshulme, Rusholme, Moss Side... careful with Fallowfield, sometimes they try and pass houses in Moss Side and Rusholme as 'Fallowfield'!

If you want any help house/flat hunting, I don't mind helping you.
    Cheers everyone.

Well I've decided to move to Manchester. It just makes sense. Its closer to home. Its closer to all my friends. Theres more job opportunities for me in Manchester. It has the nightlife I want, shopping I want. Just makes sense. Its where my gut was telling me I should go for a while too.

Me and a good friend of mine have decided to share a two bed flat/house in June/July time.

At present, she's sorting out a 6 month contract house share (as her parents are moving to Spain this month, she works in Manchester Airport) so her contract will expire around the time mine does. She is moving to Disbury for 6 months so I shall see what she thinks of it there.

Personally, I'd love to live in the City Centre. It might not be such a bad idea to live in a quieter area though seeing as I'm supposed to be settling down :lol:

I may well take your offer of helping me flat/house hunt later this year Babyshambler :thumb:

Just wondering what nice cities up north are good to live in??

I can do the impossible, but miricales take a little longer....
    I'm living on the edge of moss Side at the moment in Whalley Range. It's picked itself up from 5 or 6 years ago when it had a similar reputation to Moss Side. A lot of the big old victorian houses have been converted into flats and there are some really nice ones for a reasonable price. We're paying £550 a month for a 2 double bed flat in one of them. I haven't had any troubles where we live at all.

I wouldn't live in Fallowfield tbh or anywhere on the Wilmslow road bus route, it's that busy that it's quicker to walk than take the bus and it winds me up. It's also very studenty and a lot of the pubs require student id to even let you through the door. Burglary rates are also high there with it being a student area.

City centre to be honest you're looking at about £800 a month for a 2 bed place to rent, but there are some gorgeous new builds that I'd love to be living in. One of my mates lived city centre just near the printworks for the 1st two years of uni and it wasn't noisy at all in their flat, yet really convenient.

Didsbury is nice, and would be convenient for your mate getting to the airport for work. Chorlton is becoming the overspill of Didsbury so has had a lot of new shops spring up and new flats, but prices are creeping towards Didsbury prices now.

Some of the outskirts of Wythenshaw are quite nice, but I wouldn't touch close to the centre. Northenden also isn't bad and the prices are reasonable.
    Sale is classed as one of the places to live, although I'm never quite sure why and the prices are rediculous for what you actually get.

Salford Quays is nice, but a little far out. If you don't have a car it requires getting the tram into town which can be costly.
    blimey how many northerners are there on this site? i used to be one many years ago but was lucky enough to escape without an accent :p , i suppose manchester isn't too bad just make sure you stay away from cheetham hill, and certain areas of salford are none too savoury, hell they even make places like kirkby over on the merseyside seem positively delightful which takes some doing, i doubt much has changed in the last decade...
    I echo all of the positives things said about Newcastle so if you decide not to live in Manchester you know where to go :D
    whats it like living in Newcastle? Is it expensive? Can you move there and just begin again like?
    Someone mentioned Chester-Ive lived here all my life. Its a nice city, easy access to Liverpool and Manchester, and low crime. It does have one rough area though, as everywhere does.
    I dont think its what she wants though, its probably far too small, the nightlife is shit, and its expensive. A nice city centre apartment would be about £750. And the last train from Liverpool on a weekend is 11.30. I think a taxi back is about £30. shame!
    Lincoln? It's not the biggest city going but I love it in Lincoln - and you have the countryside all around with very nice villages plus the city - uphill Lincoln is very nice..though expensive too! and Lincoln Uni is relatively new in comparison to others and there are developments going on and I believe it's going to be even more popular than it is now so that's a good sign for a city. The nightlife is relatively good - better than the likes of Scunthorpe any way!
    Manchester all the way tbh. Personally I would'nt live in Fallowfield, the crime is quite high because of all the students and it can be expensive.It is all about living in Victoria Park (I am slightly biased) I live in a gorgeous 4 storey 3 year old terrace for 5 people and we pay £294 a month. All double bedrooms, 2 toilets + 1 toilet and shower room + 1 full bathroom. Its close enough to be in town in twenty mins on the bus and you can get to didsbury in ten mins. It takes me three minutes to walk to the bus stop and a bus pass is £3 a week :D
    A lot of Manchester stories are apocryphal, mind. Our friend lives in a terrace just off Platt Lane and she's never been shot, stabbed, raped or burgled. I don't think that that area is that bad anymore, although two streets can make a lot of difference in Moss Side/Whalley Grange.

Longsight is shit, as is most of north Manchester out as far as Chadderton.

Manchester bus prices are going up though- its odds on that UK North are going to have their operator's licence revoked.