Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Nice City to move to in the North?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Move to Canterbury and be with meeeeeee!!

:yeees: Jokes
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Lol, ok only a true northerner would hate London so much....

I live in outer London and not a huge fan of London .. it's just too big.

If you live right in the very center and have loads of money to spend on going out then London can be fab, but like coming back from NYE took me 2 hours to travel like 15 miles.

I'm considering living out of London as well, but I think the original poster should take the opportunity to see the rest of Europe, since being in the EU gives us the right to work abroad, why not.

I think the lifestyle in somewhere like Spain or Greece might make a nice change from the UK
    I quite like Leeds :)
    Apart from that though I like the shops and the station and I can find my way around it no problem. The metrocard is also great, although that goes for anywhere in WY.

It's also because I don't go to university there :razz: I hate being a student.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The title of this thread is a contradiction in terms. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    I live in Stockport... it's 10minutes train ride away from Manchester. Do you actually HAVE to live in the centre, or do you just want easy access? Saying that, I'd kill to live in the centre of Manchester because I fucking love it so much. As long as you don't plan on moving to the mega-rough parts (Ancoats/Northern Quarter, Longsight, Levenshulme, Rusholme etc) then you'll be OK. Fallowfield and Withington are very studenty, means you'll probably get a good deal on a house. Didsbury and Stockport are alright too and within good distance...

I am also a big Leeds lover - probably more for the social aspect because most of my more fun mates live there! The outskirts can be a bit of a shithole... my mate lives in Burley which is a bit scummy but it's 30 minutes walk straight down Burley Road into the centre - or a 10 minute bus ride. Taxis and buses are far cheaper in Leeds than in Manchester, too. And the nightlife is amazing!

It's not really up to us to advise you though - you need to spend some time in each city to get the feel for it for yourself.
    sophia wrote:
    I lived in Burley when I was in Leeds. And yes, it is scummy.

Buses aren't cheaper in Leeds though, quite the opposite; I couldn't believe how cheap the buses were when I moved to Manchester after three years in Leeds.

Where abouts in Burley? My mate lives down a road opposite the One Stop shop... it's scummy but it seems safe enough, we wander round at all times of the day and night and not come across anything too dodgy!

I only caught a couple of buses but didn't think they were expensive. Taxis are definitely cheaper - a journey in Leeds cost me £6 which would have cost about £9 in Manchester or Stockport...

I mean, I want a place which has a great nightlife

Leeds
    Why would anyone live up north if they had the choice?!

I swear the last time i went above Birmingham, it actually got greyer and greyer right before my eyes.
    sophia wrote:
    Buses aren't cheaper in Leeds though, quite the opposite; I couldn't believe how cheap the buses were when I moved to Manchester after three years in Leeds.

Perhaps not a reason to decide to live somewhere, on the price of buses.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    LacyMay wrote:

I swear the last time i went above Birmingham, it actually got greyer and greyer right before my eyes.
    Don't be such a plank...
    LacyMay wrote:

Have you ever lived up north?
    Leeds is fine. I've never seen anything violent happen here (city centre, or where I live). Well, I did see the police tape for where someone got stabbed.

Of course there are some shitholes (inner city areas and sink estates usually are), and every city has them. Seacroft, Beeston, Bradford*, Harehills, Chapeltown etc. are worth avoiding.
    Whereas Alwoodley, Moortown, possibly Chapel Allerton, Roundhay and Horsforth are great. Lots of flats in the city centre (and lots more being built, which should keep rents sensible).

Living here isn't cheap, but it's not that expensive, either (I'm speaking relatively, as everywhere is fucking expensive at the moment). It's probably the most expensive place in West Yorkshire (possibly with the exception of Ilkley), but West Yorkshire is reasonably cheap.

I'm not really biased towards the place (I just live here), but it needs a bit of defence from that what the others are spouting.

It does have areas that'd be outshone by a public pisser (as do all the other cities mentioned), but it's far from as bad as people make out.

Edit: Oh, plenty of jobs, too.

*Bradford isn't really a suburb of Leeds, it's a joke.
    Manchester is a great city to live in. Prices aren't that bad for living. Or at least compared to southern prices that I have to contemplate come September they aren't. The nightlife is great, obviosuly there's expensive places to go, but with the quantity of students in Manc there's also plenty of cheap and cheerful drinking places. There's an abundance of culture and art as well and we get all the best shows relatively quickly as well.

Newcastle as has already been said is fab as well. Loved it when I lived up there for a couple of years and would move back without any hesitation.

Leeds I really don't like. I never feel safe, don't think the shopping is that great and nightlife isn't up to all a lot of people shout about.

Having been brought up in Preston I'd say get out of the place. it isn't as bad as some but as you must already know it really isn't that good either.

As for anywhere else I haven't lived in any of them so can't comment. Liverpool is improving from the friends I've got there, but I'd never choose Liverpool if I could be in Manchester. Lancaster is nice if you prefer a slightly quieter city.
    JsT wrote:
    Don't be such a plank...

I kid you not it's true.
    mrbox99 wrote:
    Have you ever lived up north?

Why would i?! I have been up there though. Albeit briefly.
    LacyMay wrote:
    I kid you not it's true.

:yes:

It's does certainly seem to be more depressin visually. Though the people are generally chattier.
    LacyMay wrote:

I used to work out of Wigan, what a shit hole, Birmingham too :yuck: Though none of it's as bad as Pompey! :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I used to work out of Wigan

Wigan is a pile of shit. But it isn't the whole of the North, is it?! :p
    LacyMay wrote:

Thats weird.

When I went to London on a bright sunny day, the closer I got to London, the thicker and darker the clouds got.
    LacyMay wrote:

Yeah, briefly. Typical
    When I went to London on a bright sunny day, the closer I got to London, the thicker and darker the clouds got.

But that aint the whole of the South is it? :p

But seriously, I've travlled the country and it's grim up north.
    Weekender Offender 

It rains wherever I fucking go.

I expect it in Manchester, but not everywhere else.
    Skive wrote:
    But that aint the whole of the South is it? :p

And thank fuck for that!
    It rains wherever I fucking go.

I expect it in Manchester, but not everywhere else.
    Haha. When I went to London it was a bright sunny day. For most of the journey down there, it was sunny then about 20 minutes before I arrived, dark thick clouds appeared.

You wanna try being in Preston. Its alway blimin raining! Lol.
    Haha. When I went to London it was a bright sunny day. For most of the journey down there, it was sunny then about 20 minutes before I arrived, dark thick clouds appeared.

Pollution.
    You wanna try being in Preston. Its alway blimin raining! Lol.

That's cos it's the wrong side of the Pennines!
    My Dad's from Yorkshire, and he bigs it up saying it's God's Country and the sun always shines down on God's Country. And I take the piss out of him al lthe time.

But I swear everytime we drive there, as soon as we get on the Moors and get to the Barnsley sign, or we're on the motorway and we hit the Leeds sign, the fucking sun comes out.
    And thank fuck for that!

You heard of the Crappiest Towns In Britain Book?
    Totton came 34th. :lol:

Totton.jpg

My mates from Wales has just moved into a flat above Strides (the Cycle shop), and I take the piss saying he's come from one shit hole, and just landed in another. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    You heard of the Crappiest Towns In Britain Book?
    Totton came 34th. :lol:

Totton.jpg

My mates from Wales has just moved into a flat above Strides (the Cycle shop), and I take the piss saying he's come from one shit hole, and just landed in another. :D

:D Yeah, I've got both the books.
    Had a good laugh when I read that!

Strides has been there forever.