Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rail fares

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Saying that though kermit, with my YP railcard I can go to birmingham for 9quid return, or london for something like 30quid return for an at the station on the day purchase saver return jobby from Loughborough.

It seems insane that for a journey that takes about the same, and changes in the same place (in fact, sometimes you don't need to change for the london train, but it does go through leicester) it would cost me three times as much to get to the capital as to the centre of the UKs second city...
  • Options
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's interesting what you can do with statistics though.

The cheapest train ticket from London to Edinburgh in 1996 was about £35, and its now about £13. That's hardly fat cat profiteering.
    Oh, but it is. It's a simple game of maths. You simply need to ask yourself what proportion of all tickets sold will fall in the cheapest category (book 17 years in advance for travel at 2 am on Boxing Day, or thereabouts) which tickets will cost £98, and how many will set you back £212.

And then you'll see that it doesn't matter if 5% of your tickets go for a very reasonable £13, because most of the others sell for rather more than you could call reasonable.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Especially when I could fly with easyjet for 40 or 50 quid.

If you book two weeks in advance...

To fly next day with BA costs well over £250, which is what you should be comparing the railways to. And then you still have to get out to Heathrow, which is a tenner on the tube.

With most long-distance travel most people travel on AP tickets- few people would travel with an open return, and those that do are (generally) travelling on corporate expenses anyway. Last time I got to London for £15 return, which is much cheaper than it used to be, and I couldn't even pay the air tax for that.

And in any case, I don't think a fares increase of 5% is particularly horrific when energy prices have gone up by 15%. If anything that suggests that companies are taking hits on energy prices in order to keep fares lower.

As I say, its easy what you can go with statistics.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    £40 + tax, I expect, which will make it about £60. Plus the transport to and from the airports (given that Gatwick is closer to Brighton than London).

Even then the train is cheaper (£35 for tomorrow afternoon), and there's two trains an hour instead of two planes a day.
  • Options
    London to Edinburgh, leaving this Thursday at around 8 am, returning the following day at 4 pm

Cheapest rail fare available: £98.20

Easyjet: £80.98- and that was one of the more expensive ones! You could do it for £70 if the return flight was a little later.

Enough said.
  • Options
    The cheap fares are sold as singles, and there are 2 x £30 singles = £60.

We could do this all day. I'll probably continue to win :)
  • Options
    No, that's not 'winning' Kermit. Train should be considerably cheaper than air. £98 for a return ticket to Edinburgh, each leg taking 5 odd hours, is taking the piss and extremely unnatractive to anyone who isn't a masochist or train enthusiast. The fact that for less money you can travel by plane at a fraction of the time (even accounting for transfers to the airport) is very well reflected by the fact that for every passenger that chooses the train to travel between London and the Scottish cities, 3 more choose the plane.

And who can blame them really, when they'd be looking at forking out between just under £100 to £200 plus if they don't book well in advance?
  • Options
    And just to compare, how much does the same journey cost by car, for 1-5 people, leaving whenever you want?
  • Options
    Its just over four hours on the quickest train, to be fair.

But that is why not that many people use the open ticket for that journey- the train cannot be as fast, and the business commuters who use the open tickets value speed over economy.

From Newcastle the train is cheaper and quicker, for the record, by about £60 against BA's fares.

I'd reckon 2.5 tanks of petrol from London to Edinburgh, probably about 7 hours time.
  • Options
    Flying London to Scotland is deceptive, it looks quick and cheap, then you add in:
    • transfers/parking, the time and cost involved in these, you need lots of slack time in the transfer because unlike the train if you connection is late you miss the flight and you're stuffed
    • check in times, add at least 90 mins to any flight
    • time between scheduled take off and actual take off
    • time spent on tarmac after landing
    • time waiting for baggage in reclaim, it's about 90 mins from landing to getting baggage at Heathrow at the moment
    • very very little choice in flight times

Trains are always there, and you're nigh on guarenteed a space on one (albeit not a seat), you can turn up for a trip from London to Edinburgh, buy a through ticket and there you have your journey. If one bits late you don't lose the rest of your journey and there will be a train leaving in the next 30 mins, and funnily ennough you pay for that flexibility.
  • Options
    If one bits late you don't lose the rest of your journey and there will be a train leaving in the next 30 mins, and funnily ennough you pay for that flexibility.
    I disagree with that. If I missed a train on the way to uni, it added a minimum of 2 hours onto my journey. I was going to use a train to go and look at a car the other month, until I realised that the last train I could get home on left at just after 7pm on a weekday. That would've put the seller in a good bargaining position I think (buy it or sleep on the streets for the night). And don't get me started on the joke that is Sunday travel. Trains are not even close to being always there, especially if you don't happen to live on the main line.
  • Options
    At the same time, though, frequencies are better than in the rest of Europe, so it really is (as always) swings and roundabouts.

Public transport isn't as convenient as a car for late evening journeys or rural journeys, there's no way that the train can ever be there just when you want it and only stop at the station you want it to, but its more convenient than other forms of transport (e.g. air). It's also usually quicker than driving, and definitely less stressful (for all the faults of the railway system, nothing beats being stuck on the A1 for 120 miles behind a truck doing 40mph for stress.
  • Options
    I disagree with that. If I missed a train on the way to uni, it added a minimum of 2 hours onto my journey.

But you can still get there, without buying another ticket. If you get stuck in the traffic on the way to the airport, you miss your flight and you're stuffed.
    I was going to use a train to go and look at a car the other month, until I realised that the last train I could get home on left at just after 7pm on a weekday. That would've put the seller in a good bargaining position I think (buy it or sleep on the streets for the night). And don't get me started on the joke that is Sunday travel. Trains are not even close to being always there, especially if you don't happen to live on the main line.

Assuming you had told the seller this!

The journey I was referring to was London to Edinburgh, but trains are a darn site closer to always being there than planes are. Sunday travel is, often sparse, Sunday travel is also usually a lot cheaper. You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Just to add my tuppence worth:

I semi-regularly travel between Brighton and Luton. Booking two weeks in advance, for that is the largest amount of time I can book in advance, makes no difference what-so-ever to my fare. It costs me £33 off-peak return on the day and £33 two weeks prior to travel. I’m not sure whether this is a phenomenon exclusive to First Capital Connect trains, or perhaps the South-East.

Travelling on Sunday’s, which I’m often required to do, is a nightmare. The last three return journeys from Luton to Brighton (a straight through line) have involved two trains and a bus; a journey which should take a couple of hours tops, has taken me the best part of four. The idea that I’ll soon be paying more for the privilege of this sub-standard service does stick in my craw a little.
  • Options
    Substandard to what?
  • Options
    Substandard to what?

A good service? How the service should run?
  • Options
    The journey I was referring to was London to Edinburgh, but trains are a darn site closer to always being there than planes are. Sunday travel is, often sparse, Sunday travel is also usually a lot cheaper. You get what you pay for.

I don't know what it's like where you are but here, and everywhere else I've been, the prices on Sunday are exactly the same as every other day of the week.

Also, if you have an advance ticket for the train and miss that train, your ticket is not valid on another train (same as a flight).
  • Options
    I know I'm being difficult now, but in reality you can only compare it to the other options avaliable. In plenty of other European countries you wouldn't be able to make that journey at all on a Sunday.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I don't know what it's like where you are but here, and everywhere else I've been, the prices on Sunday are exactly the same as every other day of the week.

There are no peak fares on Sundays, and far more of the offers apply on Sundays.
    Also, if you have an advance ticket for the train and miss that train, your ticket is not valid on another train (same as a flight).

It depends why you miss that train, if it's a through ticket and a late connection then the ticket is valid (and you're advanced ticket isn't one of the expensive ones).
  • Options
    Well my Sunday travel was usually the second half of a return, so I can't say I had that saving. Don't get me wrong, if it was a choice between planes and trains, I'd pick trains every time in the UK (mainly because my closest airport is a 2 hour train journey away). But considering it is a supposed to be offering a viable alternative to the car, it falls way short. More expensive, less convenient, slower (in my experience). Incidentally, if you're talking about the cost of getting to and from the airport, should you not also add the cost of a taxi to and from the train station just to be fair? Because that would be about £5 per taxi at a city centre train station.

And Kermit, it may just be the journey I happen to take, but home to uni by car took around 5 hours. The same journey took 6 and a half hours by train, assuming everything went perfectly. As usual, in any sort of rural area, you get royally fucked over by public transport. And trust me, no driver has ever had stress like trying to get from platform 14 to platform 1 in Manchester Piccadily in about 30 seconds, with a huge suitcase, being stopped for security checks on the way, all because your train.
  • Options
    Peak fares don't apply, but why on earth would you pay less on a Sunday? You're paying for the journey, not how often it runs.

CoatHanger, Sunday travel is often a problem because of engineering work, but at the same time, the engineering has to be done sometime. More people would be irate if they did it at 4.30pm on a Friday.

It does depend where you travel as to speed, I know trying to get from places like Aberystwyth is not good. For door-to-door from here to Bradford the car is slightly quicker and slightly cheaper, but to Leeds the car is much slower.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It does depend where you travel as to speed, I know trying to get from places like Aberystwyth is not good.
    That's the thing though. I can understand why it might take me an extra 10 minutes to get into Manchester, considering the volume of trains that go through there. But when you're running one train every two hours, I expect the service to be fucking flawless 99.99% of the time. And the amount of trouble I've had on that line is shocking. The line from Manchester to home is actually pretty good most of the time though.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    CoatHanger, Sunday travel is often a problem because of engineering work, but at the same time, the engineering has to be done sometime. More people would be irate if they did it at 4.30pm on a Friday.

I appreciate that repairs and maintenance have to be done some time, but surely Sunday afternoon isn't the ideal time? How about 3am under flood-lights on a Wednesday?

To be honest it's not so much of a big deal my journey taking longer than normal, it's mainly just a bit frustrating and an inconvenience. I do resent having to pay so much for it though.
  • Options
    it would cost more to do it at 3am under flood lights any day of the week you'd have to pay double time or time and a half to get engineers etc out on the track to fix it, along with the added cost of running the generator to power the lights.
  • Options
    And the people who live next to the tracks being pretty fucked off at having floodlights shining in their windows...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    it would cost more to do it at 3am under flood lights any day of the week you'd have to pay double time or time and a half to get engineers etc out on the track to fix it, along with the added cost of running the generator to power the lights.

I'm sure the ever increasing cost of train tickets could cover the cost of a generator and time-and-a-half for workers.
    Kermit wrote:
    And the people who live next to the tracks being pretty fucked off at having floodlights shining in their windows...

Ah, fair point. Not all train-track is in built up areas though; perhaps work could be done at night if it's not going to disturb people?
  • Options
    You'll find a lot of engineering work is done under flood lights at 3am, and early morning and late night trains are affected by it. The actual time they get to work over night is very short though, especially because of the time taken to shut down the power and bring it back up again to make it safe for workers. Weekend stuff is done at weekends because it's the only time they get long enough to work on the tracks, anything longer is usually done between Christmas and New Year to get enough track time with minimum disruption.