Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Changing from the patch to the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I've been on the contraceptive patch quite happily for a couple of years, when all of a sudden it starts taking all the skin off my ass. Niiiice. So I need to go back on the pill.

Anyhoo, my question is thus: I took my last patch off on Monday last week, had my patch-free week as I couldn't get to the doctors over Christmas, and started taking the pill on Sunday.

I reckon I will be protected straight away, as my break was only 6 days, and they're similar hormones and whatnot. But has anyone swapped from patch to pill, or between different pills and have a definitive answer for me?

Thanking you :D

Comments

• Options
    im not sure, but id imagine it'd be best to use extra protection for 7 days, just to be safe!
    when i swapped from the pill to the patch, the doctor told me to use extra contraception for 1 week, and i did exactly what you did, only pill-patch, not visa verca!
  • Options
    What should I do if I want to change to another method of contraception?
    It is easy to change from the patch to another method of contraception. Talk to your doctor or nurse as you may need to miss out the patch-free week or use additional contraception for a short time.

It's not an overly helpful answer I know, for some reason I think that you should either skip the break or use extra protection for 7 days...
  • Options
    Fabulous. Better to be safe than sorry, I guess!

Thanks guys :)