Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eyeshadow techniques

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you wear eyeshadow? I see some girls who have done it so well and make their eyes look bigger but I tend to just put one colour on.

I've just bought a set of three by Almay which is designed for specific colours of eyes, it's meant to bring out green eyes, there's a light green, a darker green and a purpley colour, what do I do with them?

Anyone know any good techniques to make eyes look bigger and bring out colours?

Comments

• Options
    Use eyeliner only on the outer rim of the eyelids, not the inner rim. Don't put the eyeliner all around your eye as it will make them look smalled, you probably know that already though.

Use a light shade of eye shadow on the upper lid leading up to the brow, which will open up the eye. A darker color can be used in the fold of the eye.
  • Options
    put a highlighting colour on the inside rims and below the brows at the arch, blending outwards.

put a contouring colour around the socket crease, less towards the middle and more towards the outside.

Then the colour you want to notice on the lid itself, but i tend to concentrate it to the outside and wing it out a bit.

Make the colour at its richest around the lashline at the top and blend it brighter towards the middle with highlighter.

If its a dark colour then just use that to line your eyes. Make the colour really deep on the outside corners and blend it lighter towards the middle of the underneath of the bottom lashline. If the main colour is too light for lining then do the same thing but use a darker coloured liner in the outer corners aswell.

Then blend the whole lot really well and voila.
  • Options
    It's usually because they've added a 'socket line' - a darker colour going from the middle of your socket line (or crease where your eyeliner opens) to just about the outer corner of your eye and blend really well.

To give yourself a decent eye makeup....

Use a pale coloured base eyeshadow over the whole lid. You can use a shimmer eyeshadow to highlight just underneath your eyebrows.
    Then add a socket line with a darker eyeshadow. (description above)
    Then add the mid-coloured eyeshadow just onto the socketline, and ever so slightly above.
    Line eyes on outer corners, top and bottom.
    Mascara and you're done.
  • Options
    I know how to do my eye shadow but where is your socket line, the start of the ere lid?
  • Options
    I need a diagram for this I think.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:

so do I :chin: all this talk is lost on me!! i soo want to perfect the technique tho cuz my eyes always look crap after ive done it myself :grump:
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I think the socket is the crease?

My eyeshadow always seems to gather in the crease after a few hours and I have to rub it in!
  • Options
    I am so fascinated with the filigree art of painting one's face. Is it a media-induced thing that girls like it, or is it something in the hormones?
    With threads like these it seems you really put a lot of effort into it to achieve different things (e.g. bigger eyes, etc.).

I'm really no professional, but one thing is for sure: Less is more. Don't overdo it (like Bob Ross would say).
    Rachael wrote:
    :lol:

you know you look just as fine without any at all... :heart:

MAKE-UP!!! (not clothes)
  • Options
    If you apply make up correctly you won't look overdone.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    If you apply make up correctly you won't look overdone.

Isn't it possible doing it "correctly" with more amount of make-up? Out of observation I think it is.
    I'm a fan of fainter more natural colours and just to highlight features like eyes, maybe lips etc, and not the pasty smear that you put on your whole face.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I am so fascinated with the filigree art of painting one's face. Is it a media-induced thing that girls like it, or is it something in the hormones?
    With threads like these it seems you really put a lot of effort into it
    It's an art form!!

I'm studying Makeup Artistry at the moment and it's truly harder than it looks. Especially when I get to degree level next year :shocking:
  • Options
    I just like the way it looks. And yes I do put effort into looking nice when I'm going out somewhere, not every day.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    i've got 2 new MAC Pigments. anyone ever used these?

i figured they'd be just like putting on normal eyeshadow but haven't tried them yet. do i need to do anything special?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

i figured they'd be just like putting on normal eyeshadow but haven't tried them yet. do i need to do anything special?

I gave mine away because the pigments just fell off my lids on to my cheeks and I looked all glittery, which isn't the look I wanted. :(
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

They're like regular eyeshadows, just way more powdery, so you have to be careful, and make sure to apply as little as possible on the brush compared to a normal eyeshadow, as it's easier to add on than to faint.

With pigment (depending on the color) it can also look amazing to put it on the lips and then cover with a lipgloss. Or just a tiny bit on the face (again depending on color) to give glow.

Which colors did you get?
  • Options
    If you're using pigment, and it just ends up all over your cheek instead of your eyelids...

whack a LOAD of loose powder underneath your eyes, and let it sit there. Put your pigment on your lids and when you're done, brush off the loose powder. It'll stop the pigment settling onto your foundation.