Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Not been paid..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I get paid weekly, a week in hand, every Friday from my temporary job. This week I haven't been paid, which I'm assuming is because of Christmas.

Question is, when am I likely to be paid? Will it go into my account so many days late, or will they likely just skip the week and pay me for two weeks next Friday (although I've just worked out New Years would throw it off as well... wouldn't it?)

Oh so confused :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How do you get paid? Is it cash in hand, a cheque through the post or BACS (which is the autmated transfer into your bank account)?

IIRC BACS takes 3 working days to get to your account, which would mean that unless they'd sorted it before the long weekend it won't turn up until Tuesday.

Is there anyone there on Saturday you can ring and ask?
    It's by BACS, and I doubt they'd of sorted it beforehand. I'm going to ask (I'm in work tomorrow) but I'll guess at that they'll know as little as me as the woman behind my wages isn't in til Tuesday :)
    If it's not a big organisation then I suspect they've screwed up and you'll get it sometime next week.

Ask around tomorrow, you may find someone who has been there longer than you and can remember what they did last Christmas.
    If it's not a big organisation then I suspect they've screwed up and you'll get it sometime next week.

Define big organisation - as in a well known chain store? In which case, they are a big organisation....
    A well known chain store probably pay everyone under the same system, so shoule be capable of doing it right and sorting it all so you get paid, but you never know

I'm ask around tomorrow, and bitch and moan to the manager.
    Are you 100% certain you have not been paid? Dno't just check internet banking or at a cash point. Call your bank direct. To receive a BACS payment today it would need to have been processed by your company on Friday 22nd December, as it takes three working days to clear to your account.
    I would have rang work the second i realised i hadn't been paid!
    mind you i live month to month, so i would have been fucked!
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Are you 100% certain you have not been paid? Dno't just check internet banking or at a cash point. Call your bank direct. To receive a BACS payment today it would need to have been processed by your company on Friday 22nd December, as it takes three working days to clear to your account.

I've checked internet banking and telephone banking. I have no idea when they process things, I've not been there long enough to know the ins and outs of the company.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I would have rang work the second i realised i hadn't been paid!
    mind you i live month to month, so i would have been fucked!
    Ha, the reason I didn't at first is that I as convinced it was the Christmas thing, then the more I've thought about it, if they haven't organised it around that, my wages are going to be backpaid from after my contract ends, and there was no mention of this, so I'll argue my corner tomorrow whenI go in.
    Just ask them when payday is, that's normally the best bet.

Christmas does play havoc with most people who get paid weekly, I know the temping agency I worked with didn't do payments at all in Christmas week, even if you worked that week. That's because quite often the payroll and clerical staff have the full Christmas week off, and obviously are therefore unable to process the payments. The fact that BACS takes three working days (and there are only three working days between Christmas and New Year) delays things too.

Most companies pay their staff the Friday before Christmas for this very reason- it isn't because they are charitable.

You should really have made sure you knew your payday for this week before you committed to spending all your money. I doubt that a mistake has been made, to be quite honest, as it is rare for payroll clerks to release BACS payments in Christmas week.
    Kermit wrote:
    Just ask them when payday is, that's normally the best bet.

Most companies pay their staff the Friday before Christmas for this very reason- it isn't because they are charitable.

You should really have made sure you knew your payday for this week before you committed to spending all your money. I doubt that a mistake has been made, to be quite honest, as it is rare for payroll clerks to release BACS payments in Christmas week.

I had to pay people on the 22nd and the 29th at work this month. I very nearly told my boss to pay everyone on the 22nd and not fuck about with it and increase my workload. To be fair you proabaly wont get paid over the xmas period because of the time BACS takes to clear, just ask your manager at work who should either know or can find out for you.
    Kermit wrote:
    You should really have made sure you knew your payday for this week before you committed to spending all your money.

Where did I say I had? I've got plenty of money, I'm not going without by not being paid on time - I had been ill so I'd only earnt about £21 anyway by just doing the hours I'm contracted and no extra.

And I was told at the beginning I'd be paid every friday, from the 16th of December til 12th January (ish... can't remember exact end date). And this was from the payroll clerk herself, so I'd normally take this to be the best person I could ask.
    I doubt that a mistake has been made, to be quite honest, as it is rare for payroll clerks to release BACS payments in Christmas week.
    Proabably not, as they've paid me fine the last couple of weeks, but no one at work knows what's going on, as I don't work at times that any other temps work, so I asked here. Apparently a couple of people have said it, but no one knows whats happening now til Tuesday.