Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A question of variety...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    So you think drink and drugs are accepted in society because they're what 'most kids your age do', but going to the gym isn't because it's 'unusual' for your age group? Doesn't seem logical.

I would say gym going is a very accepted activity. Perhaps because you put it above everything else, you encounter mocking, same way someone who obsesses over computers etc, will probably get mocked for being a computer nerd or something, despite computer use being an accepted practise of course.
    I do not know anyone personally within my age group that goes a gym. Sure there's the odd youngster there but most I have seen are in there 20's+. I am referring to people who take it seriously and not those who attend healths centers whos goal is healthy living rather than me who is into strength training.

I dont encounter mocking because I put gym above everything else. There's no reason for people to think I put going to the gym above everything else as I rarely talk to people in the street about it. They assume.
  • Options
  • Options
    I would have thought random people on the street would avoid mocking body builders for fear of getting sat on!

Where do you encounter this mocking?
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I would have thought random people on the street would avoid mocking body builders for fear of getting sat on!

Where do you encounter this mocking?
    You would think so but it seems to be more of a challenge and excitement to have ago at the the bigger people (weather naturally big, muscular or fat). Like there's something to prove in starting on people twice there size.

It usually comes from teenagers the general mocking, like if you pass a gang of them in the street. I mean I ignore them but it does become boring hearing it all the time.
  • Options
    Teenagers are like that though. They'll pick on anyone for anything at all that distinguishes them whether it's ginger hair, skin, glasses, clothing style or indeed size.

But I wouldn't say gym-going isn't accepted in this country on the basis of teenagers' reaction to it! They're all wee cunts.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Still shouldn't be called the 'World Series' because it's not the world. You never would see, for example, an all-Ireland gaelic competition being called the world championship, even though most of the gaelic sports (until recently) were only played in Ireland.

I think that was up to them to decide at the time. Yes it's out of date now, but the americans ARE very big on tradition.
    And maybe the Oirish ;) should name it the World Championship...
    No, not many countries play american sports seriously i.e. with national teams etc competing in international tournaments. Sure you'll get small local teams starting them up just for a bit of fun, but they're not established sports, except in the USA and a small number of other countries.

There are more than handful countries.
    And the European American football championship is quite professional.
    And even if it wasn't it's very much popular with TV viewers.
    Just like the obese USA then! ;)

Quite!

Hit wrote:
    I do not know anyone personally within my age group that goes a gym. Sure there's the odd youngster there but most I have seen are in there 20's+. I am referring to people who take it seriously and not those who attend healths centers whos goal is healthy living rather than me who is into strength training.

I dont encounter mocking because I put gym above everything else. There's no reason for people to think I put going to the gym above everything else as I rarely talk to people in the street about it. They assume.

No there is no reason for it.
    But i got a friend called Max who lives with a football. Everytime I see him whether he is at home, in the park, on the high street, he's kicking a football around. So if anyone saw that it's natural to assume that he puts football above everything else, even if it might not be the case, (although in Max's case that is the case).
    So don't worry about people's assumptions.
    People are stupid.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    They might not be the World Champions, but they have the best league in the world.
    Snap. Well along with Spain maybe, it's a close call.
    migpilot wrote:
    Yes F1 is run by a Brit, but that Brit has earned most of his money away from the UK. Silverstone is in danger of not being run in the schedule because of bureucracy. Most of the other tracks are rotting. And not everyone can get to F1. Money talks.
    Snooker, again how many players are non-British?
    Darts...bunch of fat, beer drinking guys throwing darts at a board...not a sport.
    Golf...still a white mans/white collar mans sport.
    I really don't get what you're getting at. You claim the UK only has two sports it's passionate about, yet I mention loads other areas where people show passion by either participating, putting private money into or supporting, and for one reason or another, these "don't count". And so what if snooker is British based and most of the players are from here? It's still a big sport in this country that people are passionate about, that kids like to learn, that gets plenty of funding. Kinda like American football in America then really? Not bad for a sport that needs really expensive equipment to play with.
    migpilot wrote:
    Boxing, hardly inspiring, full of fixing and money laundering and shit and the fights are so fucken glamourized. Why is SKY charging £15 a match, that's a rip off!! Because most of the matches are held at a few selected venues where you can only fit so many people in. And is boxing a locally popular sport?
    I guess it's about as inspiring as athletics or weightlifting. Can't say I've ever seen an athletics or weightlifting tournament without someone being banned for cheating. Go to Bolton and ask who Amir Khan is, or Wales and ask who Joe Calzaghe is, or Manchester and ask who Ricky Hatton is, and you'll see how much local support there is.
  • Options
    I really don't get what you're getting at. You claim the UK only has two sports it's passionate about, yet I mention loads other areas where people show passion by either participating, putting private money into or supporting, and for one reason or another, these "don't count". And so what if snooker is British based and most of the players are from here? It's still a big sport in this country that people are passionate about, that kids like to learn, that gets plenty of funding. Kinda like American football in America then really? Not bad for a sport that needs really expensive equipment to play with.

Honestly, if you don't break a sweat, it ain't a sport.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Bullshit. It's more of a sport than something like gymnastics or diving, where the winner is based on who someone thinks did better. You're just coming up with excuses because I've proved that Britain is actually good and passionate about certain sports and it shits all over your whole argument.

If you still don't believe me, let me ask you this. If a dart player gets an injury, can he still play as well? No? Well it's a sport then.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    I generally share that idea to an extent.
  • Options
    I think sport is a mixture between dexterity and the physical aspect, with both being used in every sport to different degrees. Obviously in something like darts or shooting, the physical aspect is less crucial, but it is still there.
  • Options
    I think sport is a mixture between dexterity and the physical aspect, with both being used in every sport to different degrees. Obviously in something like darts or shooting, the physical aspect is less crucial, but it is still there.

So hunting is a sport, yes?
    Chasing girls is a sport, no?
    Beer race is a sport?

Give me a break!
    If a dart player gets an injury, can he still play as well?

Hows he gonna get injured, will a pint of beer fall on his foot? :thumb:
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    So hunting is a sport, yes?
    Yes. That's why they call it hunting for sport. Duh.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:

Hows he gonna get injured, will a pint of beer fall on his foot? :thumb:
    hahaha

The dart might slip out of his hand and go through his foot. :D
  • Options
    Yes. That's why they call it hunting for sport. Duh.

Who calls it that?
    A bunch of old toffs who don't know what to do with their time but chase and kill animals?