Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I don't like music in clubs anymore

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right when I was younger, like ages 14 to 21, I really enjoyed going out and dancing.

In the last year or so I just find the music in bars and clubs crap. It's either really repetetive house music, or cheese (which I can not stand)

I used to like trance (1990s and early 2000s stuff), garage, drum n bass, RnB and classic house stuff...can't find anywhere that plays that stuff now!

Also what's going on with clubs, I used to get in free to decent ones before a certain time or for like a fiver. Now all the big clubs seem to charge anything from £10 up which I'm not willing to pay, especially when drinks will then be £4 plus.

Maybe I've just grown out of going out but I feel sad if all those days are over.

Sometimes when I go out now I feel fed up and bored by 1am and just want to go home. Help.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It's just a matter of looking about for other venues or certain nights.

For instance, a venue I know will cost £7 on a Saturday and play shitty chart music all night. On a Friday, it's a fiver and they always the old 90's trance songs.

And getting completely wankered before you even get there saves you money on the drink.
  • Options
    I rarely even notice what songs are on in a club, except the odd one. How good my nights are are determined mainly by who I go out with, who I meet out, and whether we all have a good night, rather than how much it costs or what music is on. I'd say if you're not finding clubbing as good as it used to be, then it's probably more down to who you're going with and what you're doing, rather than the type of music they're playing. I've got friends who I love clubbing with, and others who are better for a night in the pub and some games of pool.
  • Options
    Obviously music isn't such a big thing for you? doesn't matter if i had my best mates with me certain nights i would just not enjoy cos the music is that crap and the sort fo people who go to those nights, guess you're not that fussy at all then :P
  • Options
    I used to like trance (1990s and early 2000s stuff), garage, drum n bass, RnB and classic house stuff...can't find anywhere that plays that stuff now!

I did a quick DSI search for Brum clubs here and if you scroll down to the events list, you can specify the type of music you like and find related events there. Might be worth looking at the groups as well, people are pretty friendly there, you might find some people to meet up with?
  • Options
    I only really go to clubs for the music, otherwise if I wanna chat and hang out with mates I'd rather go to bars.

If you're from Birmingham, do you never go to the Custard Factory? They have some great nights and some good line-ups at the weekend. I guess it is expensive to get in, but you can drink somewhere cheap first.
    I'd rather have a couple of really good nights out a month where the music was awesome as opposed to going to the same old places every week hearing the same music.
  • Options
    You should go to more event based nights then, rather than just a normal club night...
    All normal clubs now days are going to play chart stuff, or cheese... they have to appeal to the masses and to be fair most of that sort of stuff now days is shite.
    Find a proper night with some big name DJ's and you will see the difference, there are flyers for that sort of thing all over the place.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    And getting completely wankered before you even get there saves you money on the drink.

HaHa, couldn't have put it any better myself
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Right when I was younger, like ages 14 to 21, I really enjoyed going out and dancing.

In the last year or so I just find the music in bars and clubs crap. It's either really repetetive house music, or cheese (which I can not stand)

Also what's going on with clubs, I used to get in free to decent ones before a certain time or for like a fiver. Now all the big clubs seem to charge anything from £10 up which I'm not willing to pay, especially when drinks will then be £4 plus.

Maybe I've just grown out of going out but I feel sad if all those days are over.

Sometimes when I go out now I feel fed up and bored by 1am and just want to go home. Help.

Sounds to me that you need to get your ass into gear and get out there and do some clubbing. Yes there is a lot of crap stuff around but there is also some very good stuff about. visit dontstayin.com

End of January I am going to a club thing in Norwich, 11th birthday of Pams House, and after 11 years of clubbing to hard house and funky house especially, still running strong.
    and I am 29.
    and i don't plan to stop going clubbing anytime soon.
  • Options
    If you like drum and bass then medicine bar is good for that in brum. they still do decent nights at air and custard factory, and i know there are quite a few smaller nights/clubs that play the sort fo music you like.
  • Options
    Variety is good...

But then again, knowing what you're going along for, as opposed to attending generic nights is the best way.
  • Options
    I really dislike usual clubbing as well. I've been two times in the Nightshift in vienna and I disliked it.

Techno/DnB/House and all that makes me dizzy...

I usually go for a mixture of pub and club. So you have pub atmosphere, with music and dancing, for no entrance... and I am definitely NOT going to pay more than 3€ for my Beer or more than 3,50€ for my long drinks.
  • Options
    I went to a night at the student union yesterday which is usually punk/alternative kind of music mixed with a bit of pop and cheese. Yesterday it seemed to be some kind of godawful dance music which then changed to this stupid new genre of boring indie wannabe the killers only more miserable kind of music. Every song sounded the same. I was bored senseless, all the freshers were loving it.

No point, just that I don't like a lot of music played in the places I used to go. No-one seems to have any taste anymore :grump:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    I went to a night at the student union yesterday which is usually punk/alternative kind of music mixed with a bit of pop and cheese. Yesterday it seemed to be some kind of godawful dance music which then changed to this stupid new genre of boring indie wannabe the killers only more miserable kind of music. Every song sounded the same. I was bored senseless, all the freshers were loving it.

No point, just that I don't like a lot of music played in the places I used to go. No-one seems to have any taste anymore :grump:

Are you at Cardiff uni? I went there for a year, I remember some my nights out there.
  • Options
    UWIC but i was at cardiff's union last night cos I'm just down the road from there
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    UWIC but i was at cardiff's union last night cos I'm just down the road from there

It was called Solus when I was there (shows how old I am :crying: )

The student union pub is nice though with all the wooden beams. I used to live on Colum Road. Do you go down chippy lane?
  • Options
    I think it still is called solus? Chippy lane is awesome, but I always have a job deciding which chip shop to go in!