Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Calls from mobile companies asking for personal info

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Jut had a call from someone saying that their from T-Mobile and wanted me to provide them with my accont password and name/address. I don't give any info like that to any random caller, just wondering if it's standard practice for someone like T-Mobile to ask for this.

Comments

• Options
    I'm fairly sure it's not, and I suspect if you rang T Mobile they would know nothing about it.

As a general rule of thumb, the geniune company never ring up and ask for all your details, the first line of your address maybe, or some digits from your password, but not the works.
  • Options
    Some kind of scam I expect.

There's no way they'd get info like that from me. To be honest even if it were T-Mobile they still wouldn't get it. They rang me, not the other way around. They should know who they are calling.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    To be honest even if it were T-Mobile they still wouldn't get it. They rang me, not the other way around. They should know who they are calling.

They're still bound by the Data Protection Act to do security questions, even if they're calling you.

Usually date of birth and postcode does the trick, but sometimes if you've got a memorable name or place on your account they'll ask for that instead.
  • Options
    It's probably genuine, most of the calls are, despite everyone claiming that they never ring out.

I had this argument with some jumped-up cunt from NatWest the other day.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    How many times does it need to be told? Phone companies, email providers, banks, and everything else that you might have an account with, will never, NEVER, ask for anything like your password.
  • Options
    How many times does it need to be told? Phone companies, email providers, banks, and everything else that you might have an account with, will never, NEVER, ask for anything like your password.

Missed the point completely.

If you've got a contract with a phone company, they'll have all your details like your date of birth and your address. Sometimes they'll ask for a password when you set the contract up(like a memorable place or your Mum's maiden name) so they can ask you for it if they call you or vice versa so they can verify who they're talking to.

That's the password they'd have asked him for. What other "password" would you have on your phone?

What do you think would happen if companies went with the whole "don't ask the customer for personal details, they should know who they're phoning" thing, then they phoned you up, somedbody else answered, but the company just assumed they were who they claimed to be and fucked about in your account?

That's why we have something called the Data Protection Act.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ok, you're right there. I classed this under the usual "The bank/ISP asked for my password and now I've lost all my money" type of scam. The truth is, however, that except the company verifying it's you who's talking, it's also necessary (and probably more important) for you to have a way to verify it's the company that's calling.
  • Options
    If you're in doubt, call T-Mobile and ask if they called you, they'd have a record of the conversation if it was genuine.
  • Options
    I asked T-Mobile and they reckon it is, still not giving out shit though.
  • Options
    Your call, depends if they are offering you something you want really.

If you're in doubt try asking them for some of the information, I'll tell you my house number if you tell me my road name. If they can do that then it is far less likely to be a scam.