Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

SHould I move out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am 22 and live at home.

I lived at home through uni, going to the uni in my city, though to be fair it was a good uni and a good city.

I live with my family and now have a job so have been looking to move out.

I found a room i na house with 4 girls. Its a double room with an ensuite though in the basement of the house. They girls like me and wnat me to move in, they have told me. The rent for the area is pretty good.

However, this will be more cost then I have had before. There is a £300 bond and the rent is £214.50 or so a month. So first month is £500 straight out, plus food and bills. Tho they say bills are cheap.

However, when I asked about council tax they say they havent paid any yet, and since 3 of them are professionals and I am to I think they should be paying it and I dont want to be hit with a fine if I do move in.

At home I ponly pay £125 a month and get food made and washing done for me.

at the other place is the costs plus making ur own food and doing ur own washing but they dont have a dryer.

I could handle this.

however my folks dont want me to move, they have move dmy room round with one of theres so I now have a larger room and a double bed, they tell me I wont be able to save any money if I move and my mum says she will sell up and downgrade to a 2 bed room in the country if I do move.

its all quite stressful.

what do I do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doomsday wrote:
    what do I do?

Move, if you want to. Stay, if you want to. Do what you want to do - you're the only one who knows if moving out is what you really want to do. :)
    Number one, you're never going to find anywhere to live away from home that's cheaper or equivalent to £125 a month. What you need to work out is whether you can afford to move in with these girls. Ask them what they're currently paying for water rates, electricity, gas, phone line/internet - what they class as "cheap" might not seem so cheap to you, and it's better to know now than to move in and get a shock when the bills arrive. Also find out what their policy is on sharing out the phone bill and whether they operate any kind of kitty for communal food, cleaning products, etc.

Number two is to decide if you want to move out or not. It sounds to me like you'd like to have some more independence and the main thing stopping you is your folks not wanting you to leave home. They've had you at home for so long that it's kind of understandable, but at the same time they have to realise you're 22 and not going to live at home for the rest of your life! They need to let go and let you make your own decisions about where you want to live. I'm sure it's a very stressful situation to be in, but you have to make a stand if this is what you want. It's your life, not theirs.

Is there any truth in what they say about you not being able to save any money if you move out? Once you've added up all the things I mentioned above, plus food and the daily expenses you're paying at the moment (travel, toiletries, clothes, going out, etc), how much of your income are you going to have left? It will be a lot less than you have at the moment, but is independence worth that? Like Click says, you're the only one who knows. But to me it sounds like this is a good opportunity for you to fly the nest for the first time - you'll have to do it sometime, and as these girls are people you know and like, that's better than moving in with strangers. If your parents are the only things holding you back then I'd say go for it, they may well be upset at first but will come to accept your decision soon enough.
    Doomsday wrote:
    I found a room i na house with 4 girls.

You're a dude, right?

If so, why the fuck are you asking us? ;)
    You're a dude, right?

If so, why the fuck are you asking us? ;)

You ever lived with 4 women, 'dude?!'?!?!?! :crazyeyes

I have - and as much as I loved them - it was a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocking: :banghead: :lol: :mad:
    Honestly though - that a seems very very cheap, so if the figures are accurate and transparent, I'd say , go for it. G.
    yeah. go for it. you've got to move out some time. :)
    I wouldn't do it, if your parent are alright and you get on with them, I would stay at home and save my money. Just my two cents.
    I say it depends on what's keeping you at home. If the money you're saving living at home is going towards something productive, like saving up for a deposit on a house, or something that'll help you in your career, then I'd say stay at home. If you just enjoy the cushy lifestyle, then I say you should move out. If you don't do it now, you might never do it and you'll end up dependent on them, and no-one wants to go out with a 30 year old who still lives with their parents. In my opinion, staying at home in your 20's should always be with the long-term intention of leaving at some point, and hopefully being in a better position to support yourself when you do. Otherwise it's just pointless in my opinion.
    I'm older than you (just finished uni) and looking for work, if i had a job and a prospect of moving out i'd take it! You'll never find anywhere as cheap as it is to live at home, but think about the independence! I love my parents to bits, but i'm desperate to move out. If only some one would give me a chance and offer me a f/t job i'd be out of here like a shot!

Take the chance, or you'll start to regret it when all you're other mates have places of their own.
    aye true

tho 2 of my mates aren't moving out. One wont unless its woith a gf and the other I dunno. But other mates have, one lives in a bit of a tip but likes it I think and the other just moved out with his gf so he is sorted.

well my wage, after decuctions, is £957 a month. The rent is £214-£215 a month. They say £10-£20 or bills and £4 for net/tv. You buy your own food but share bread and milk. I dunno about council tax yet. If I get bus to work and back it would be £13 a week so times that by 4. So all that plus £10 for phone cred and I hguess some random spends and the odd water bill.

folks are ok, we argue and they annoy me but we are ok. Its kind of half and half.

I dont know these girls personally. I met them twice. Saw them this weke and they want me to move in, they said they want me so. But it is strangers and I am worried about what would happen if I fall out with them.
    What sort of contract is it? If it's a rolling month by month then that's fine. You can never know someone till you live with them!

You seem to earn about the same as me and my rent is almost double yours so you could easily move in and still save £100 a month in my view!
    It might be cheaper to get a bus pass instead of paying £13 a week for bus fare.
    its a 6 month contract.

well £13 a week gives u unlimtied bus travel so its cheaper then aday rider in the morning to 2 singles.

my folks just called me stupid, an idiot, threatend to un0plugg my slaptop, said they were sick of my atttitude and when I said I think they made my mind up, they replied "good".
    Sounds like they treat you like a kid, it would probably do you good to move out. Does your Mum do all the cooking and wash your clothes?
    aye

well my nan does. She does washing and ironing and cooking, mum does some of that a swell.

I would do more but if I do I get crticsied for it or nan takes it over so I dont do owt now.

hto if they go away I can cook my own food, sort myself out and that

but I havent used the washing machine b4 or ironed so thats an issue.

can u really dry clothes on rack in front of radiators?
    washing machine is easy enough. And you can always cook easy things like pasta/things on toast till you feel more confident. Get a basic cookery book.
    I dry my clothes on the radiators but it's better to get a rack thing.
    You can dry clothes on a string across the room if needs be.

And most clothes don't need to be ironed if you hang them out to dry nicely rather than scrumpled up. The main thing you can't get away without ironing is shirts, which can be a bit tricky (and time consuming) to iron, but a bit of practice will make perfect :)
    Move out.

Your parents sound like mine, like bullies. The best thing i ever did was move out.

You will learn how to look after yourself as you go along, by trial and error. Looking after yourself is easy and with a little common sense you'll soon be independant.

Moving in with strangers is also a great way to widen your social circle. Yes you might fall out with them, but this is just as likely with existing friends, because as someone else said you dont know someone properly until you have lived with them. You've met them and they are nice so thats a good start. If you establish ground rules right away before your settled in, it makes things alot easier and is more likely to avoid people from getting into bad habits.

I personally found it easier to move in with strangers than to live with my friends. Living with my friends did my head in, even though i love them.

And if you dont like it, you can find someone else to fill your room.
    sound advice.

costs scare me so much tho.

I'll have a word with the letting agents 2moro and if they seem ok then I think I will go for it.
    Good work buds. Moving out sounds like a step forward.
    thanks

I still aint 100% but what the hell eh?

hopefully it will be the right move.
    it will be fine.

washing and drying clothes is such a non event. its so easy, only takes 15 mintues a week.

cooking isnt really a problem either. you will soon get used to making meals daily.

youre gonna have to move out one day. its better to be now.

sounds to me your mother doesnt want you to move because she likes having you around. just try to see/phone regulary and she should be ok. she shouldnt expect you to stay there forever.

and pay the council tax. between four people it will be relatively low.
    yeah, as long as it doesnt get back dated...

I guess I should do it. Juts filled with doubt and indeciviness, its not good. I'll see.
    not done it yet

will see 2moro lol.
    I'm only a first year student, but living away from home is what makes university. If you have the money to live away from home then do it, you will find it is the best trade off you made for your independence. I would live on bread/beans and water if it means getting away from home.
    Doomsday wrote:
    I'll have a word with the letting agents 2moro and if they seem ok then I think I will go for it.

it is of course your choice, but from my personal experience of letting agents i would steer clear of them and go for a private landlord.

Letting agents are all complete money grabbing bastards. They took over £100 of my money for "administration fee's" which involved swapping my name for someone elses on a contract for a room. Bullshit! It took less than 5 minutes to do.
    Doomsday wrote:
    yeah, as long as it doesnt get back dated...

How about saving something from your paycheck each month in a special "council tax" account (I have no idea about how much council tax is, but someone on here should be able to give you a very approximate figure, which you can divide by however many people are living in the house, and add it to the account each month). Then if it does end up getting backdated, you've got the money (or a large chunk of it at least) to hand. And if not, you've got a nice sum to either continue saving or spend on something special! Win-win situation really.
    Doomsday wrote:
    but I havent used the washing machine b4 or ironed so thats an issue.
    Have you ever read the instruction manual to an electrical product or a packet of soap? It's pretty easy. Finding the original instruction manual in rented accomodation on the other hand.....
    that or you could just the hosuemates on how to operate their particular washing machine?
    Aye true on those points.

well I have no choice abou tthe letting agents, thats who they deal with and yes I 'd have to pay £50 in an "administration fee" to swap names on a contract.

things is though I rung them after boxing day, yeatserday and today and no1 is there.