Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Medical Record up on NHS Spine...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just saw the debate on the BBC site:

Government plans to put together the system which will hold records for 50m people in England, everyone will have a computer-based care file with basic information such as medication and allergies, drawn from GPs' records. You can opt out, but only if you can show holding them will cause substantial mental distress.

What do you think? Would you be happy to have your records up online? Do the concerns of confidentiality, security and privacy outweigh the benefits of doctors having a more efficient system and modernising the NHS? Or is it just a huge waste of money?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    couldnt give 2 shits really, not got anything to hide really. if its gonna make things more efficient, then im all for it! go NHS go.
    my company support and develop the SPINE project, its very high profile for us obviously..
    It depends on who has access.

It's obviously a good idea for A&E staff to be able to quickly tell if someone has allergies, otherwise the person could inadvertently be poisoned.

But if its for anyone and everyone to see, then I'm totally against it. There are drugs that I've been on that I don't want employers to know about.
    I think it's supposed to just be a strictly NHS based system, so that if you are in a different part of the country they can see your records in an emergency etc.

But lets be honest, I bet there are plenty of underpaid hospital staff etc who will sell details to high paying corporations who as usual have enough money in reality to get access to pretty much whatever information they want :rolleyes:

EDIT: to try and make it make sense.
    Do nurses have a long-standing reputation for selling confidential information??

Did I miss a news story?
    Sorry that is not the point I was trying to make, I was trying to make the point that large corporations with lots of cash will always find someone underpaid to supply them with the information they need.. as they always have. I will try and edit it into sense.
    Cool man, sorry just confused me in my demob happy pre-christmas state ;)
    Nah man it did read like that lol, I have got my festive illness and am slightly disjointed this morning :thumb:
    as they always have.

... because medical records are so secure now...
    ManofKent, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't such a system already in place, since June this year. I spoke to my nan's GP the other day and he said it was causing a lot of problems because it was slow and kept crashing all the time.
    And I seem to remember it cost a stupid ammount of money to implement and the guys that implemented it warned against possible problems...
    Yeah the first part is in place - Choose and Book - allowing you to book your hospital appointment when you are in the GP surgery. The next part - Electronic Transfer of Prescription - will mean that you won't need paper prescriptions anymore and is due next year. The rest will come over time.

There *is* an issue about security of the information as with any IT system but the media are reporting that anyone can have access to all of the information and that just isn't true. I already have access to the spine but I couldn't see what drugs Kermit has been prescribed and nor could I tell you where he had been sent for any treatment.