Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Official Secrets Act

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I signed this years ago, 21 years to be exact, for a job i had. How long are you bound by it, or is it just for the duration of the job ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For life, AFAIK. But only with regards to the things you learned.
    I thought it was something like 50 years... Didn't you read your contract? :P
    Well i didn't learn anything that would be bound by the act, unfortunately. Was when i worked for the Royal Greenwich Observatory in Herstmonceux.
    I had to sign it when I worked as a Christmas mail sorter for the Post Office years ago, what secrets I was supposed to keep secret I dont know. You may be shocked to know that post comes in, we sorted it, then it went out.
    I'm bound by it too, but I've no idea what I'm not supposed to tell people! These days people can request most information via Freedom of Information Act.
    I thought it was 100 years, isn't there something where the truth is allowed to come out after 100 years?
    Yup, I signed this when I worked for the Inland Revenue. Was hardly the MI-5 to be honest...!
    budda wrote:
    You may be shocked to know that post comes in, we sorted it, then it went out.

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

You're going down for life mate!
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I thought it was 100 years, isn't there something where the truth is allowed to come out after 100 years?

The government can put different restrictions on when information can be made knowledge depending on how sensitive they think which is.

However more information can be found here
    Wyetry wrote:
    The government can put different restrictions on when information can be made knowledge depending on how sensitive they think which is.

However more information can be found here

Ahh good old wikipedia, the constant source of internet misinformation.

Here's the real deal http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1989/Ukpga_19890006_en_1.htm
    Yup, I signed this when I worked for the Inland Revenue. Was hardly the MI-5 to be honest...!

Me too. Still work for them though. It's not M15 but I have seen some interesting things whilst working there. Not that I'm about to tell youse lot :razz:

Anyhow, I don't know how long I'm bound by it. Might read Mist's link in a sec to find out haha