Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dxm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do they still sell cough suppressants with only DXM as the active ingredient? Has anyone tried it?

Comments

• Options
    Yes I have, no you shouldnt. Its a deeply strange experience with nothing really to recommend it if you ask me. For a start you forget virtually everything that happens while on it, so you really dont know whether you enjoyed it or not.
  • Options
    Dextromethorphan is a rather popular drug here in the US. Mainly due to it's high availability and low cost, it's a hit with younger users, though some people do find it highly enjoyable. It's available through OTC medicines and online in pure form, if you've got the right sources. I've tried it a couple of times, it's a very interesting drug. It's always referred to as a "Kiddy Ketamine", but I haven't had much experience with ketamine, so I don't feel just in making that comparison.
    If you're planning on trying it, make sure to do some research first. Make sure Dextromethorphan HBr is the only active ingredient. It is a very different drug than most of them out there. It's very dose dependent, highs can range from a mild buzz to a full-on disassociative experience.

budda, I remember my "trips" rather vividly.
  • Options
    Interesting, I had a look on Erowid but I can't find a list of products high in DXM that you don't need to have a prescription to get hold of.
  • Options
    Benylin Dry cough syrup-non drowsy.
  • Options
    no nasty stuff added in to deter people from using it recreationally?

:yum:
  • Options
    nope. the non-drowsy is just dexamethasone. the 'original' one has diphenhydramine in it which is an antihistimine and will make u drowsy(its the stuff thats in Nytol)
  • Options
    been reading up and it seems thats the weakest one

are there any stronger ones?

also, in regard to the benylin one
    This product contains glycerol, which can cause headaches and may also upset the stomach when taken in large doses. It is important not to take more than the recommended dose.

It also contains sodium benzoate, which may irritate the skin, eyes and mucosal surfaces.

Each 5ml of this product contains 0.23g sorbitol, which can cause stomach upset and diarrhoea when taken in large doses.

This product contains 2.4g of liquid glucose and 1.6g of sucrose in each 5ml

This product contains 6 vol % of ethanol (alcohol) and may be harmful if you have liver disease, alcoholism, epilepsy, brain injury or brain disease. It may also modify or increase the effect of other medicines.

Sodium content 4.38 mg/5ml

anyone any idea if there would be enough of those other ingrediants to cause unpleasant side efects?
  • Options
    ive been hearing alot abouts this dxm have read up on it and have been trying to find sum to try but havnt been able to locate any yet,any1 got any ideas where to find sum?
  • Options
    I dont know about the side effects when u take it in large doses.

The strongest one is 7.5 mgs. Anything with 10mgs in had a decongestant or antihistamine i it too.

Other than Benylin, theres Robitussin Dry cough syrup and dry cough pastilles, both are dxm 7.5mg.
  • Options
    First off all...were can i get some 'Evfer'
    haha

Amricans scare me...
  • Options
    I've tried it a couple of times, it's a very interesting drug. It's always referred to as a "Kiddy Ketamine", but I haven't had much experience with ketamine, so I don't feel just in making that comparison.

I have read some really strange and impressive trip reports from DXM, but to be honest I think you need to use the powder to get that far. Drinking bottle after bottle of cough syrup isnt going to do you any good, I know the last time I did it there was nasty guggling noises from my gut.

It just strikes me as a last resort drug, it doesnt have enough positives to be high up the list.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I have read some really strange and impressive trip reports from DXM, but to be honest I think you need to use the powder to get that far. Drinking bottle after bottle of cough syrup isnt going to do you any good, I know the last time I did it there was nasty guggling noises from my gut.

It just strikes me as a last resort drug, it doesnt have enough positives to be high up the list.

Which syrup brand did you try, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    I honestly cant remember, my positive experiences were in the US with the classic Robotasium (sp?) the one I tried here made my guts go nasty. That and it was years ago, probably 6 or 7 years ago now I come to think about it which makes me feel even older than I normally do.
  • Options
    As i mentioned above 'Robitussin'
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    As i mentioned above 'Robitussin'

So if I necked a bottle of that, would there be enough DXM for me to trip but not enough other shit for me to have a fucked up liver for the rest of my life?
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote:
    So if I necked a bottle of that, would there be enough DXM for me to trip but not enough other shit for me to have a fucked up liver for the rest of my life?

You can work out the DXM content easily enough, just check the mg/ml and then times it by the bottle. But as to whether or not you'll get nasty stomach problems, thats the chance you take. Erowid has quite a lot of information on it.

Oh and if you are going to use it most definitely do NOT use it at the time time as MDMA.
  • Options
    Just go the the pharmacy, look for a bottle of cough syrup that has Dextromethorphan HBr and NO other active ingredients. You should be fine. Zicam, if it's available, has around 500mgs of DXM HBr, a decent starter dose, all in under a shots worth of liquid.