Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

materialism and idealism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i dont know if any one can help me but ive got to research these two ideas for modern culture, but everything i am reading just isn;t making sense :( after ive got my head round it i've gotta write another essay comparing and contrasting these two ideas. does any one have a basic idea of what they mean to get me started thanks guys :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Materialism - Basing your choices, desires and so forth around goods and services - I want that shiny toy

Idealism - A more broad term, loosely means having a set of ideals and then sticking to them, so a human rights campaigner might be idealistic.
  • Options
    thank you think ive got a bit of an idea about it now :thumb:
  • Options
    You could have just put both terms in google dictionary.
  • Options
    Materialism is also heavily allied with Rationalism which is something I know quite a bit about.

Rationalism is, put simply, the belief that everything in the world, including things like emotions, God etc. can all be explained by scientific methods. The fact that its a 'belief' which itself implies something that cannot be explained is but one of its many flaws.