Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

News of the World succeeds in driving paedophile underground

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    Bear in mind this boy was not like the Soham girls - if you going to prostitute yourself, you are inclined to run into people like this.

He was 14 years old. He was a child. The fact that a few fivers were involved makes absolutely no difference: A child was strangled to death and buried in a shallow grave by a gang of paedophiles.

Is the crime somehow less heinous because the victim had accepted money from his torturers? No. Are we supposed to have less sympathy for the 14 year old victim because by some tragic circumstances he ended up working as a rent boy? No.

Reading your post again I'm quite disgusted at what you're implying with your 'it's worth remembering he was a rent boy' and 'bear in mind he wasn't like the Soham girls' line of argument.
    teagan wrote:
    It's worth remembering that Jason Swift was a rent boy. He was hardly an 'innocent' 14 year old snatched off the street while playing football. As awful as his death was, it was never proved to be murder but was manslaughter - where drugs and sex sessions went terribly wrong.
  • Options
    No often I agree with Dis but Teagan your comments are totally out of order. I'll bet that the Ipswich girls "had it coming" too?

There are no mitigating circumstance in the victim being a rent boy. If anything that just makes the whole episode sadder.
  • Options
    I agree with MOK on this one.

I don't want to know, but I will be vigilant around with my child.

I would rather of course they were locked away somewhere safe but it's never going happen.
  • Options
    No often I agree with Dis but Teagan your comments are totally out of order. I'll bet that the Ipswich girls "had it coming" too?

There are no mitigating circumstance in the victim being a rent boy. If anything that just makes the whole episode sadder.

No, MOK, I don't believe that at all. Anyone dying in any unnatural death is appalling - whether a rent boy or prostitute. I was trying to make a certain point which I feel I have not explained well. But where did I say that Swift (or the Ipswich girls) had it coming? You're putting extra words into my mouth. In all sorts of dangerous pastimes, whethere prostituion or skydiving for example, these are dangerous risks - but that in no way implies I feel they have it coming to them.
  • Options
    Reading your post again I'm quite disgusted at what you're implying with your 'it's worth remembering he was a rent boy' and 'bear in mind he wasn't like the Soham girls' line of argument.

I did not explain myself too well so I understand your misinterpretation of what I was trying to say. There is no way I would ever think that Swift (or the Ipswich prostitutes) ever 'deserved' to die. But at the risk of digging a deeper hole for myself, I'll wander off now ...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If you went and beat him up, yes that would make you just as bad as him...

That viewpoint is absolutely fucking insane.

To answer Aladdin- a person very close to me was violently raped. If I could get hold of the person who did it, and I could get away with it, then I would have no qualms about beating him to a pulp. And if someone was to beat this convicted paedophile killer to death I would be lying if I said that I would shed a single tear.

I agree that mob rule is wrong, because there is no comeback if mistakes are made (and lots of mistakes are made), and I agree that the newspaper was grossly irresponsible (deliberately) and should face censure for it. But I'm finding it very hard to have any sympathy at all for a convicted child sex abuser and killer.

My job has nothing to do with it. Why should it?
  • Options
    " 'anging's too good for 'em" :rolleyes:

Nothing has been gained by this mob nor by the NOTW. It is not right for mob rule, as paediatricians will tell you.

And HIT, I am a parent. I'd have no problem living next door to this man, in fact I don't know who lives in my street or what crimes they are capable of which is why I am always looking out for my children, it's about being vigilant not being a vigilante.
    well you are quite right of course. The liklihood is that theres a paedophile on every street and its much better to be vigilant of course.
    I really do think this particular paedophile was an exceptional case though. He shouldnt have ever come out of prison, and whatever shit he gets in his life, is still too good for him. That sounds like a cliché but im surprised anyone here thinks any different really
  • Options
    Publishing the details of a known paedophile was just asking for trouble. The News of the World has done this countless times before, (remember the "Name And Shame A Paedophile" campaign they ran a few years ago?) so they knew that this was going to get some attention. And because it's part of the Murdoch Press, our political establishment says nothing. If a paper like, say, the Daily Mail, had done this, there would have been utter outrage from both Left and Right-wing politicians. Rightly so. But not a word said against the NotW by our politicians. Shame on them.

Personally, I hope the said paedophile is given legal aid to sue the News of the World out of existence.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Can someone publish the address of the editor of the News of the World and of its proprietor Rupert Murdoch? I'd like to pay them a visit of my own...
    You'd probably have more luck if you visited the News of the World's headquarters in Wapping, East London. :p
  • Options
    well you are quite right of course. The liklihood is that theres a paedophile on every street and its much better to be vigilant of course.
    Hmm, I worry about that viewpoint. I have a feeling that paedophiles aren't nearly as common as the media makes out. And we all know that your kid is far more likely to be run over when playing out than snatched by some paedophile. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be careful about leaving your kids alone with others, of course.
  • Options
    well i also said previously that I dont believe all paedophiles are a major threat. I KNOW they are more common than is comfortable to believe, in my voluntary work, I speak to them fairly often, and often they expend a lot of effort controlling their urges, or if anything happens, they feel hugely guilty.
    It doesnt make me feel particularly sympathetic when they dont manage to control themselves, but it has opened my eyes a lot.
    The vast vast majority of people are perfectly safe with children though and theres still no reason for people to freak out. You just need to keep a bloody eye on your children, that much is obvious.
  • Options
    I don't think paedophiles are fantastically common, and its a common fact that the person most likely to sexually abuse a young child is their father. Keeping an eye on your children, teaching them not to go off with strangers, that much is obvious.

Like SCC, though, I honestly cannot understand how anyone can see what this creature did and not think that he deserved every misery in his life, and then some more.

I still fail to see what my job as a conveyancer has to do with anything :confused:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    To answer Aladdin- a person very close to me was violently raped. If I could get hold of the person who did it, and I could get away with it, then I would have no qualms about beating him to a pulp. And if someone was to beat this convicted paedophile killer to death I would be lying if I said that I would shed a single tear.

I agree that mob rule is wrong, because there is no comeback if mistakes are made (and lots of mistakes are made), and I agree that the newspaper was grossly irresponsible (deliberately) and should face censure for it. But I'm finding it very hard to have any sympathy at all for a convicted child sex abuser and killer.

My job has nothing to do with it. Why should it?
    If someone close to me had been the victim of a violent crime I would probably also kick seven shades of shit out of them. It would be wrong of me to do so but I'd do it all the same.

But I think there is a fundamental difference between that case, and lynch mobs forming to attack persons they have never met, and more to the point who have already served their time.
  • Options
    i can agree with that to an extent. I think its more justice if its doled out by the victims of the crime, but then again, I dont think its necessarily right to sit by and watch because it hasnt happened to one of yours yet. If anything happened to my boy Im sure theres plenty of people whod be baying for blood, whether they were related to him or not. Is that so bad? I feel pretty strongly for the welfare of others whether I know them or not.
    If people perceive a danger, then they will react. I am all for the right to protest, and thats all this was.
    Its a community thing. They didnt want that danger in their community, even if they were being simplistic to think the danger wouldnt be there anymore once they remove this one person. Theres PLENTY of people who get out of jail LONG before they have really served their time, and certainly not rehabilitated. I think it boils down to lack of trust in the justice system, which is a fair point. The justice system seems to be a farce a lot of the time. If there really WAS justice, then the guy would still be in prison and none of this would have even been an issue.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

The blame lies with the newspaper for stoking this up simply for sales- if anyone thinks that the newspaper cares about the people of that town they are fucking idiots.

Why? Journalists - even News of the World journalists - are human beings as well. Why do you have a the right to care about paedophiles in a community but not these journalists? In all likelyhood they probably think they're doing a good deed, and that they're doing the best thing for the children of that town by releasing the information. You admit that you agree with them when you say that you'd want to know if a "fucking cunt nonce" moved into your street.

It might be that editorial or individual ambition/desperation for sales over-rides what is right in papers like the News of the World: but you don't know that at all in this case, you're simply making an uniformed judgement, and being rather rude about it too.
    With my rational hat on...

I don't believe you have such a thing...a dunce-cap, maybe...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If someone close to me had been the victim of a violent crime I would probably also kick seven shades of shit out of them.

Bloody hell Aladdin - don't you think that they'd have been through enough already?! :razz: :D
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    Bloody hell Aladdin - don't you think that they'd have been through enough already?! :razz: :D
    :lol:
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    Why? Journalists - even News of the World journalists - are human beings as well. Why do you have a the right to care about paedophiles in a community but not these journalists? In all likelyhood they probably think they're doing a good deed, and that they're doing the best thing for the children of that town by releasing the information.

Probably it's because they are News of the World journalists, who have a long tradition of writing kak to make a fast buck for Mr Murdoch ...

If the story had been broken by the Guardian or Independant, it would have been seen to have been far more 'credible' that the journos actually cared themselves.
  • Options
    what is a nimby?
  • Options
    Not In My Back Yard. basically it means that someone wants something to happen (in this case for Padeophiles to be house somewhere) so long as it's not near them...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That viewpoint is absolutely fucking insane.

Why? It would make you as bad as him. Sinxe when have 2 wrongs made a right?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    My experience of the media is that very little of what they do is "in the public interest". Newspapers do what they can to sell copies and make a profit- whether its chasing a princess to her death, taking long-range photos of some celebrity's norks, or "naming and shaming" a high-profile paedophile.

Carlito, if you're going to be abusive at least read what I say first, eh, chuck? I know its hard for you to understand basic English, but have a go!

I don't think that "Sarah's Law" should be brought in and I don't think the paper should have printed what they printed. I don't agree with mob justice.

I understand why, when they found out about this cunt living in their village, they hounded him out, and I don't blame them for doing it. I also believe that the newspaper knew this would happen, and deliberately set the scene to make two lots of profit out of it- once for naming him, and once for reporting the aftermath at length.

Anyone who trusts a journalist is a fool.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Why? It would make you as bad as him. Sinxe when have 2 wrongs made a right?:rolleyes:

If you think that beating up a nonce is the same thing as raping and murdering a child then you need psychiatric help.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you think that beating up a nonce is the same thing as raping and murdering a child then you need psychiatric help.

WTF? When have I said they were the same?
  • Options
    when you said that me thinking they should have beaten up this nonce, made me "just as bad as him"

You did actually say that.
    And that was just for me thinking it, without even doing it.
  • Options
    Well, it's not right either, is it?
  • Options
    It's not "right", but it doesn't make you "as bad as him", which is what you claimed.

But who defines what justice is morally right and which justice isn't?
  • Options
    He's served his time, what more do you want him to do?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Have the decency to hang himself, tbh.

Who cares if he "served his time"? Go and tell it to Jason Swift.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    My experience of the media is that very little of what they do is "in the public interest". Newspapers do what they can to sell copies and make a profit- whether its chasing a princess to her death, taking long-range photos of some celebrity's norks, or "naming and shaming" a high-profile paedophile.

Well you've cited three examples there, one of which was freelance paparazzi not newspapers, one of which is almost always freelance paparazzi not newspapers, and one of which is the issue under discussion. And you've omitted the millions of items that appear in newspapers around the world every day that are in the public interest.

Not only that, but I never claimed that releasing that paedophile's name was "in the public interest," I was replying to your assertion that "if anyone thinks that the newspaper cares about the people of that town they are fucking idiots." I think that the journalists in question probably do care about the people of that town: they think what they are doing is right and protects the children there. Personally I think thats rubbish, but thats irrelevant, your assertion was not about whether it did help protect the children of that town, but whether or not they cared about them.
    Carlito, if you're going to be abusive at least read what I say first, eh, chuck? I know its hard for you to understand basic English, but have a go!

Actually Kermit, it was you who was abusive by calling me a "fucking idiot," which I think most people would find more offensive than suggesting that you are a dunce (I was being generous). And I have read what you've written on this thread, its reminiscent of rushed homework written by the retarded child of a Daily Mail hack.
    Anyone who trusts a journalist is a fool

No, anybody who tars every member of a profession that encompasses millions of people around the world with the same brush is a fool. Thats you, it seems.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Well if the judges cant bing themselves to sentance him what he deserves (life) then id like him to be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life tbh.
    not too much to ask.