Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

News of the World succeeds in driving paedophile underground

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    With my rational hat on I agree with everything said about protecting the rule of law, and allowing a man to restart his life once that his debt to society has been paid. I completely agree that there is no room for mob justice and newspaper hate campaigns, and I completely agree that mob rule cannot be tolerated.

I also completely agree that it does more harm than good- whilst this time the offender is safely in police protection, that was through luck not judgement, and next time he may simply abscond in the night and be free to offend again far from police supervision.

I can't bring myself to condemn the people who are angry at finding out this piece of filth is living in their town, walking with their children, and I can fully understand why they are angry and why they want that scumbag driven out of town. I would be the same, I wouldn't want a killer paedo anywhere near my house and my family.

To say that they are doing the "best thing" is stupid as it undermines and destroys the whole supervision programme, but it is an understandable reaction.

The blame lies with the newspaper for stoking this up simply for sales- if anyone thinks that the newspaper cares about the people of that town they are fucking idiots. The reaction of the people was entirely justified and entirely predictable, but the newspaper should have known better and the editor should be brought before the court for harrassment and conspiracy to cause public disorder.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Well I know plenty of people that agree (parents and non parents). I wonder if they would think differently to having a murdering peodo living in there area.
    I shouldn't think so.

You mean the concerned parents that dont want there children living near a murdering peodo?
    No, I mean those who are not only concerned but create mobs that serve no good purpose whatsoever.

Again you dont see it through parents eyes.
    I don't need to. Being a parent doesn't give anyone special authority to take the law in their own hands.

Because as peodos arnt allowed to go near schools, this one has gone near a school, so now he is a possible threat so hopefully concerned parents for there children can protest with flamed torches outside his house. ;)
    I'll ask you again. How can mob prevent a paedo from hanging outside a school?

How can a mob prevent a paedo from a different area drop by at any time and try to attack a child?

They can't, and you know it.

That's why there is absolutely no point whatsoever in making their address public domain.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Well yes, because again if you was a parent you would see it from there eyes. At the end of the day what these parents done were out of the best interest of there children.
    You dont really speak for me tbh and im a parent.
    I can understand not wanting a paedophile living next door for sure. Its hardly your ideal neighbour, but tbh, I wouldnt know if my next door neighbour was one or not, because hes never gonna babysit my kids, and hes not a threat at the school gates because the school has measures to prevent unauthroised people getting in. He also wouldnt be a threat for my children playing outside, because while theyre young, they should be supervised, and they should also know not to talk to strangers.
    Sarahs law doesnt make it any safer for anyone, because the VAST VAST majority of paedophilic offences happen by family members and by people whove never been caught.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    It's worth remembering that Jason Swift was a rent boy. He was hardly an 'innocent' 14 year old snatched off the street while playing football. As awful as his death was, it was never proved to be murder but was manslaughter - where drugs and sex sessions went terribly wrong.

Well that makes it okay then. Jason Swift was 14 years old. One of his torturers was 72 years old. The very fact that all of the perpetrators of such a heinous crime are not in jail is scandalous.

The paedophile scum that abused Swift and participated in the session in which he was strangled to death should be behind bars. Anything less than a maximum security jail cell is unacceptable and puts innocent children at unnecessary risk. Driving paedophiles underground would be a bad thing but no responsible parent would feel comfortable living near scum like Robert Oliver. For as long as our government allows dangerous paedophiles who have committed monstrous crimes to walk the streets by not ensuring they're jailed for life the NOTW are justified in their actions.
  • Options
    Do you have any evidence to support that this man is dangerous today?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

His previous actions show that he is a menace to society, IMHO.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Do you have any evidence to suggest that he will not re-offend?

No one can say with any certainty that he will not take part in another paedophilic sex session with a 14 year old.

In the absence of overwhelming evidence to suggest that they are completely rehabilitated paedophiles who have attacked children should never be released. (I feel the same way about rapists too).
  • Options
    Do you have any evidence to suggest that he will not re-offend?

No one can say with any certainty that he will not take part in another paedophilic sex session with a 14 year old.

In the absence of overwhelming evidence to suggest that they are completely rehabilitated paedophiles who have attacked children should never be released. (I feel the same way about rapists too).
    You can say exactly the same thing about every single criminal and every single crime.

Therefore, perhaps we should simply give all people who commit crimes life without parole. At the end of the day you never know...
  • Options
    There's a bit of a difference from smoking pot to raping and killing a 14-year-old boy, don't you think?

I have no problems with this man being hounded out, I hope the rest of his life is one long perpetual misery. With a bit of luck he might even do the decent thing and kill himself.

The paper should not have named and shamed him for public safety reasons, but as for his personal safety, well, he lost the right to that when he killed a teenage boy.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You can say exactly the same thing about every single criminal and every single crime.

Therefore, perhaps we should simply give all people who commit crimes life without parole. At the end of the day you never know...

Tbh I would jail serial burglars for life, if they consistently re-offend they should be prevented from inflicting more misery. If you've seen first hand an elderly person trying to pick up the pieces after a burglar has invaded their home, rifled through their possessions and nicked a few things of enormous sentimental value you'd agree.

Of course though paedophilia and rape are different; the suffering for the victim and the infringement of their person make it an extremely serious crime and those who have shown themselves to be capable of it should be put in a position where they cannot re-offend. (i.e. in solitary confinement in a maximum security prison).
  • Options
    Then people should be campaigning for a radical change in our sentencing laws.

Until that happens, if a court of law has decided a man has served his time and can rejoin society, he should not be hounded by anyone else.

I wonder how many of those outraged and concerned parents have thought of starting a campaign to demand to know where convicted drunk drivers live... seeing as children are infinitely more at risk of being run down by a pissed driver than they are of being killed by a paedo.

Though that is perhaps asking them too think too deeply about things. Far easier to reach for the pitchfork and wave placards saying 'don't house them- hang them'. It sure makes their kids a lot safer...
  • Options
    Do you genuinely not understand why someone would be upset at finding out that a killer paedo has moved in next door?
  • Options
    Yes I do. That doesn't mean I support their actions though.
  • Options
    I don't think that their actions were wrong, I wish this creature a slow and painful death. I'd have been there hounding him out too, because there is no place for filth like that in any community.

The blame is with the newspaper that has done this simply to boost sales. The consideration of the people of that town was not involved in the decision to print, and the newspaper should be done for inciting this reaction.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There's a bit of a difference from smoking pot to raping and killing a 14-year-old boy, don't you think?

I have no problems with this man being hounded out, I hope the rest of his life is one long perpetual misery. With a bit of luck he might even do the decent thing and kill himself.

The paper should not have named and shamed him for public safety reasons, but as for his personal safety, well, he lost the right to that when he killed a teenage boy.

Exactly, tbh. the problem with what the vigilantes did was to just hound him out to go and live somewhere else, when really they should have beaten the fucker to death.
  • Options
    Exactly, tbh. the problem with what the vigilantes did was to just hound him out to go and live somewhere else, when really they should have beaten the fucker to death.

Feel the sarcasm :p

I wouldn't shed a tear if someone did do that, mind.
  • Options
    The sad thing is I wasnt being sarcastic.
    Im becoming one of those shitty mothers maybe that cant grasp why we shouldnt do this?
    Or maybe I can grasp why theyd do it, and thats why we shouldnt be able to just find out the name and crime of every wrongun. Too tempting to just go and weed them out.

I dont really believe that anyone can adequately do their time for something like that. A complete psychotic depraved abuser/killer - its not as if all of a sudden will see the error of his ways when previously didnt know it was wrong.
    I dont believe all paedophiles are evil. I believe some of them try really hard to control their urges and some of them feel a great deal of guilt and remorse, but there are a fair few that dont, and the fact that we KNOW this, and they STILL get let out of prison because of lenient sentancing laws is just beyond belief. He didnt just rape the kids, he killed them too. How much worse need it get for him to get life?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    treating sexual offences against children as a mental health issue would mean we could keep them locked up until they were deemed safe, not just for a set period.
    Very lucid words :yes:

People should understand the complexity of this issue tbh
  • Options
    I understand the feeling, and the only reasons why I am against the death penalty are practical ones. It costs more money, many lifers would rather die than be stuck inside, and sometimes people get the decision wrong. Also with rape/child abuse cases if the sentence for rape was the same as for murder it would give rapists an incentive to murder their victim- they'd get their money's worth and also if the victim is dead they would be more likely to get away with it. I think it'd also hamper convictions.

I don't condemn the people for hounding him out, and anyone who does condemn them doesn't get it, I don't think. I'd beat the fucker to death, mental illness or not.
  • Options
    Fucking hell. And you are a lawyer?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Fucking hell. And you are a lawyer?
    I dont see what difference that makes tbh.
  • Options
    Supposing he wasn't joking (I'm pretty sure he was, or at least hope so) do you think someone who wishes to flaunt the law, take 'justice' into his own hands and commit murder should be practicing law?
  • Options
    I dont think it neccessarily means that, but Lawyers are humans too, and as long as they do their job, it doesnt mean they cant seethe with hate for certain sections of society under their breath or in their free time, especially when theyre saving their hate for people that HAVE actually broken the law and pretty much every moral code you could think of in the worst possible way.
    Im sure Kermit realises that if he did put those fantasies into action he would be dealt with by the law too, same as I would.
  • Options
    Well that makes it okay then.

The fact you find it okay that he died is really sick ... :yeees:
  • Options
    Well that makes it okay then. Jason Swift was 14 years old. One of his torturers was 72 years old. The very fact that all of the perpetrators of such a heinous crime are not in jail is scandalous.

The paedophile scum that abused Swift and participated in the session in which he was strangled to death should be behind bars. Anything less than a maximum security jail cell is unacceptable and puts innocent children at unnecessary risk. Driving paedophiles underground would be a bad thing but no responsible parent would feel comfortable living near scum like Robert Oliver. For as long as our government allows dangerous paedophiles who have committed monstrous crimes to walk the streets by not ensuring they're jailed for life the NOTW are justified in their actions.

The death was never 'okay then'. Did I say otherwise? Bear in mind this boy was not like the Soham girls - if you going to prostitute yourself, you are inclined to run into people like this.
  • Options

Which makes you just as bad (if not, then nearly) as him.
  • Options
    You really think im just as bad as a 72 year old man who along with his friends, raped, tortured and killed many young boys?

Seriously?
    Are you nuts?
  • Options
    If you went and beat him up, yes that would make you just as bad as him...
  • Options
    I havent gone and beaten him up
  • Options
    " 'anging's too good for 'em" :rolleyes:

Nothing has been gained by this mob nor by the NOTW. It is not right for mob rule, as paediatricians will tell you.

And HIT, I am a parent. I'd have no problem living next door to this man, in fact I don't know who lives in my street or what crimes they are capable of which is why I am always looking out for my children, it's about being vigilant not being a vigilante.