Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ante-natal classes JUST for Lesbians!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read that some places are providing women only Ante-natal classes for lesbian couples. How odd. Surely Parenthood is parenthood, and there's no need to separate same sex couples from what people might view as the traditional two sex partnership - Unless of course they are doing it to 'protect' homophobic couples.

Really odd.

Comments

• Options
    Hello stranger. Not seen you around for a while. Wlcome back.

Not heard of anything like this, don't suppose you have a link?
  • Options
    If they were doing it to protect anyone I would suspect that it's to protect lesbian couples from the other couples who might be judegmental.
  • Options
    I'm sure other couples could be just as judgemental about young parents, mixed raced parents etc...
  • Options
    I'm not saying I agree with it.

Although I suppose that some Lesbian couples may have slightly different needs from an ante natal class, like some young parents might, hence why there are often classes aimed especially at them.
  • Options
    if its private antenatal classes such as NCT then they can provide for whichever group they see fit and I dont have a problem with it, although I dont think theyll be spending NHS resources on it any time soon.
  • Options
    I was reading about it tangentially on the Guardian website in an article about how Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter is pregnant.

I think its fair enough, really, as the prime concern should be the mother, and if it makes homosexual mothers feel more comfortable then that's great.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I was reading about it tangentially on the Guardian website in an article about how Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter is pregnant.

I think its fair enough, really, as the prime concern should be the mother, and if it makes homosexual mothers feel more comfortable then that's great.

yeah - that's where I read it - the Guardian.
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    I read that some places are providing women only Ante-natal classes for lesbian couples. How odd. Surely Parenthood is parenthood, and there's no need to separate same sex couples from what people might view as the traditional two sex partnership - Unless of course they are doing it to 'protect' homophobic couples.

Really odd.
    Tbh maybe same sex couples wouldn't feel comfortable in a class of hetero couples.
  • Options
    i'm sure there must be single mothers who go to classes with their friend though because they don't see the father!