Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Veiled woman to deliver Channel 4's Xmas message

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Peace and love? It seems to be about nothing more than rampant consumerism.

Look at how everyone was supposed to feel guilty because some kids won't get loads of crap this christmas because a company went bust.
    It's symbolic meaning is still about peace and love, regardless of the fact that we chose to override it with consumerism. Just read Aladdin's post (who isn't Christian) and what Christmas means to him.
  • Options
    Can't really see what there is to debate here. If Channel4 want to try and normalise unusual behaviour that's up to them. For someone covering their entire face, whether it be with a motorcycle helmet, a KKK mask or a full veil to try and present some kind of television programme is certainly bizarre in any Western country.
  • Options
    But it isn't just about presenting a programme isn't it? It's about making a political/satirical point.
  • Options
    Who cares really?

I think it's a good idea.

The whole thing that people shouldn't be allowed to cover their faces if they want too is obsurd.

People should be allowed to wear what they want....... what has it got to do with anyone else?

As for christmas, I am basically an Aetheist, but I enjoy Christmas as I actually LIKE the consumerism, dont see the problem with it>?

It's nice to be able to spoil your loved ones with gifts, and get spoiled, and lie around having time off work eating, drinking and being merry and everything that goes with it... in my opinion anyway..!
  • Options
    Good old channel four always doing something " out there " :D

They knew it'd get people talking, as always ;) and now people will tune in to see it.
  • Options
    Can't really see what there is to debate here. If Channel4 want to try and normalise unusual behaviour that's up to them. For someone covering their entire face, whether it be with a motorcycle helmet, a KKK mask or a full veil to try and present some kind of television programme is certainly bizarre in any Western country.
    It is sort of bizarre to do that. But oh well. Their ratings.
  • Options
    A lot of atheists seem to think it's Ok to celebrate Christmas
  • Options
    Isn't it?
  • Options
    A lot of atheists seem to think it's Ok to celebrate Christmas

Huh? If by "celebrate" you mean enjoy taking time off work, seeing the family, and over indulging in Christmas pud, then yeah, i'd say that was ok.

I don't suspect many athiests will be celebrating the birth of Jesus.
  • Options
    kermit, are you suggesting that Muslims (and the vast majority who are non-Christians) should be forced to work across the Xmas period, because they don't go to church?

You get stranger with each debate........
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, I'm not saying that. The Christmas message is just a message, and as I say, the Queen has got chuff all to do with it too.

If you don't believe in it you shouldn't be celebrating it, though. It's as stupid as me celebrating Eid by getting a big barrel of beer and some pork chops for tea.

Not really. It's a national holiday, it's an excuse to celebrate the year, be with family, drink too much and eat too much then watch crap films on telly whilst you're half dozing.

Also, I'm not really bothered what channel 4 want to do. I'll be watching the muppets christmas carol or something like that. :p
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Islam recognises Jesus as a phrophet and worships the same God as Christian's, Islam is merely an extension of christianity in the same way that christianity is an extension of Judeisum ... I am neither christian nor muslim yet I feel qualified (and have the degree to prove it) to comment on both.......

Your degree has let you down. Just because these faiths believe in 'one' god, doesn't mean it is the SAME god.

Christianity is a continuation of Judaism based on the prophecies of the Torah. Islam rejects Christianity because, amongst other things, it downgrades the deity of JC to a mere second-class prophet and in many cases, contradicts the history and teachings of both the Torah and the New Testament. No 'extension' there to Christianity then - if anything, it is a step back rather than a continuity.

Islam is a monotheist religon but the 'revealed' nature of their god is quite different to the other two - so cannot be the 'same' god.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's a Christian

I don't think Christmas should be "inclusive"- people who celebrate other Gods should get their time off at their festival.

Last time I checked it was the same "god" - small technical point but you wouldn't want to go around offending any Jews or Muslims by saying their god was different to yours now would you...

The same god used the Gabriel who we all know from the Christmas story to reveal his wisdom to Muhammed - there is no argument between any of the religions that there is more than one god or different gods - the difference is in the way the different religions interpret the messages he supposedly gave to each of them.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Last time I checked it was the same "god" - small technical point but you wouldn't want to go around offending any Jews or Muslims by saying their god was different to yours now would you...

So Muslims don't 'offend' Christians by saying that Jesus Christ is not God but a lesser human being and a lesser prophet than their Muhammed? Jews don't accept JC and neither do Muslims - yet Christians believe JC IS God ... so how can they be worshipping the same god?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    The same god used the Gabriel who we all know from the Christmas story to reveal his wisdom to Muhammed - there is no argument between any of the religions that there is more than one god or different gods - the difference is in the way the different religions interpret the messages he supposedly gave to each of them.

You updated your message so I missed this part ....

Hold on, so the SAME Gabriel that declared to Mary that she would give birth to the human expression of God (Jesus Christ), is the SAME Gabriel that told Muhammed that JC is just a prophet? Which one is correct? Where is the misinterpretation of that? Seems like pure contradiction to me. The 'interpretation' therefore depends on which account you believe in ...
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Musllim's don't even celebrate Christmas so why does she get the hounour?

Doesn't make sense to me.
    me either
    didnt marge simpson do it last year?? channel 4 just like to take the mick
    i wont be watchin this christmas message of the one by the queen as i have better things to do on christmas day like eatting my christmas dinner lol
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    kermit, are you suggesting that Muslims (and the vast majority who are non-Christians) should be forced to work across the Xmas period, because they don't go to church?

Yeah, I am.

And in return Muslims should be allowed the same amount of time off for Eid, Hindus for Diwali, etc etc.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    So Muslims don't 'offend' Christians by saying that Jesus Christ is not God but a lesser human being and a lesser prophet than their Muhammed? Jews don't accept JC and neither do Muslims - yet Christians believe JC IS God ... so how can they be worshipping the same god?

My understanding is that Jesus does crop up in Islamic teaching, but Jesus is just a minor prophet rather than the Son of God.

Mohammed is the Big Cheese of Prophets, though.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, I am.

And in return Muslims should be allowed the same amount of time off for Eid, Hindus for Diwali, etc etc.

Think this through though... that basically means everyone has seperate holidays, yea? That's not very inclusive

Why not make a holiday season, where everyone regardless of race or belief can celebrate together? For 95% of the population (maybe less?) it's not about Jesus, it's about happiness and family. Whilst you might hate it all, and like to work triple time, it's the one time of the year I get to see all my family, get a bit merry and laugh a lot.

Just because it started off as being about Jesus doesn't mean we can't use it as an excuse to kick back. It's good for national spirit, most people I know look forward to christmas because they can have a good time with their family and loved ones. I guess you get some cynical ones who see it just a way to get money of us. But if all you care about is money then you're missing what christmas is really about!

Having a really really great time! :)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Christmas is a Christian celebration and anyone who isn't a Christian has no place celebrating it.

I would allow Muslims to take the equivalent amount of time off at Eid, Hindus at Diwali, etc, but Christmas is for Christians.
    If people of other religions get time off at christmas i think that christians should get time off when there are other religious festivals
  • Options
    You forgot to answer one of my questions Kermit. Do you ever go to office xmas parties, send greeting cards to others, put a xmas tree in the house or exchange presents with friends and family as part of Christmas?

I can only assume the answer must be 'no', seeing as you have such crystal clear concept of what Christmas means and should be.
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote:
    If people of other religions get time off at christmas i think that christians should get time off when there are other religious festivals

I don't.

One thing that upset me was at a previous workplace Muslims being prevented from taking time off at Eid, and it being the same for Hindus being prevented from taking time off at Diwali.

Equally, I think its great that the only time my local Indian is closed is for Eid.

I try to avoid Christmas office parties, they're hateful things;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    My understanding is that Jesus does crop up in Islamic teaching, but Jesus is just a minor prophet rather than the Son of God.

Mohammed is the Big Cheese of Prophets, though.

Absolutely correct, Kermit. He often mentioned and highly regarded but is considered a prophet only after importance to Muhammed. He is not considered to be 'God' as the Christians believe JC to be.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't.

One thing that upset me was at a previous workplace Muslims being prevented from taking time off at Eid, and it being the same for Hindus being prevented from taking time off at Diwali.

Equally, I think its great that the only time my local Indian is closed is for Eid.

I try to avoid Christmas office parties, they're hateful things;)

This is more of a practical problem isnt it though?

There are religious holidays that some people want to see. I think they should be allowed to, but not compensated (i.e. it comes out of their holiday pay). Bizarrely, my friend who was Hindu celebrated Diwali every year (sometimes my family went too! :)) and never had to take a day off. It's usually at night afterall.

But I think there is a genuine need for a national religion-free holiday. And I think in a way that's what Christmas is, although it's supposed to be about Jesus most people just have a good time with friends and family. I know I never do anything Christian really.

Then of course, why couldn't this 'national religion free' holiday be either on another religious festival or at some random point in the year? Well, it's just how it happened really. Most people in this country were Christian and celebrated Christmas as a Christian holiday (and ignore the pagan rubbish, it's irrelevant really), then as time went on it became more just a 'holiday' than a religious festival and that's where we are.

I think everyone should be entitled to celebrate it, whether they're Christian, atheist, Muslim or Hindu. The fact that we can play the Santa Claus card for kids is an added bonus, imo. Who didn't get excited by Santa when they were little?
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Yeah but that is becoming a joke. Celebrating Christmas is a British Christian celebration, it's just another day to them and we'll have to listen extra heard if anyone bothers watching it because you can't see her mouth to understand better what she is saying!

"British Christian celebration" ??

Hmm .. me thinks you slipped up there ... cos I'm sure non British Christen also Celebrate Christmas.

Anyway Muslims do believe in Jesus and that he was a Prophet of God's, they just don't believe he was his Son.
  • Options
    "British Christian celebration" ??

Hmm .. me thinks you slipped up there ... cos I'm sure non British Christen also Celebrate Christmas.

Anyway Muslims do believe in Jesus and that he was a Prophet of God's, they just don't believe he was his Son.
    This has been done before, it was probably a slip up. ;)

"Anyway Muslims do believe in Jesus and that he was a Prophet of God's, they just don't believe he was his Son"

Therefore dont believe in Christmas.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, I am.

What about people who don't have a faith?

"No holidays for you, heretics!"

You really are full of nonsense sometimes.
  • Options
    Just because it started off as being about Jesus doesn't mean we can't use it as an excuse to kick back. It's good for national spirit, most people I know look forward to christmas because they can have a good time with their family and loved ones. I guess you get some cynical ones who see it just a way to get money of us. But if all you care about is money then you're missing what christmas is really about!

Having a really really great time! :)

I agree. I love the lights and the spirit, spending time with family and relaxing etc.

Personally, I don't care if a muslim delivers ch4's chritmas message or not - i wouldnt watch it. its not sacrelige. as a muslim, i wouldnt be bothered if a chistian delivered an eid message.
  • Options
    hazell wrote:
    as a muslim, i wouldnt be bothered if a chistian delivered an eid message.

You are a Muslim? :confused:
  • Options
    yeah. how come