Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Right-wingers and the environment part XCIV

You really couldn't make this up... :rolleyes:
It should be the ideal family film for Christmas: the animated adventures of a colony of penguins singing and dancing on the ice floes of Antarctica.

But just days ahead of its British release, Happy Feet is struggling to avoid an iceberg of its own, after Right-wing critics accused it of targeting youngsters with anti-mankind messages.

Commentators in the United States, where the film opened last month, have labelled the plot – penguins struggling to survive man's wrecking of their ecosystem – as pro-green propaganda hidden in a children's adventure.

advertisementFox News presenter Neil Cavuto said: "What I found offensive is that they shove this in a kids' movie – you hear the penguins are starving because of mean old man, mean old companies."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/03/wpeng03.xml

Really... what the fuck is wrong with these cunts??? Is there a limit to their selfishness, greed and stupidity? :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I blame Muslims myself.

And the gays, can't forget the gays.
    Clearly evil.

happyfeet.gif
    That's the trouble with the US right always looking for complex answers to simple problems. An easier way to stop people seeing it is to tell describe it as a film so sickenly saccharine that your teeth are likely to fall out and the only way to save your sanity will be to tear out your own eyes with a blunt spoon.
    I think it would be a good thing if it's pro-environment anti-pollution.

I find it offensive that the people complaining about this dont think it's a good idea to demonstrate to young children that our environment needs protecting. protecting from us...
    An even simpler solution would be for them to take a good long honest look in the mirror and admit that yes, mankind are fucking up the planet big time. And that by denying the issue is real and important they are nothing more than selfish greedy fucks who appear to be saying they should have the right do anything they please regardless of the horrendous consequences it will have on everyone and everything.
    FFS its a film about tapdancing penguins who can't sing. I'm not sure who's more nutty - the US right who think its going to lead to legions of five year olds deciding to blow up oil pipelines or those who are taking their deranged ramblings seriously.

I watched Watership Down as child - fantastic film, but it didn't lead me to issue a fatwah against building developers.

Frankly its about the same level of loonieness as second class hack writers such as Philip Pullman criticising the Narnia books because they're Christian propoganda. And then the CofE getting in a hump because of it.
    Philip Pullman criticising the Narnia books because they're Christian propoganda

they are? :chin: I never noticed when I read them as a youngun'

I also liked Phillip Pullman's books too.
    Replicant wrote:
    they are? :chin: I never noticed when I read them as a youngun'

To be fair neither did I or hundreds of thousands other. I read them because they were a damn good aventure story (at least the few ones were). They are a Christian allegory, but most children don't read them like that.
    To be fair neither did I or hundreds of thousands other. I read them because they were a damn good aventure story (at least the few ones were). They are a Christian allegory, but most children don't read them like that.

do you think they were purposely written as christian allegory? or are the parallels just drawn by people who wanted to make them?

I dont mind that they were, the bible's a nice story. so long as they weren't intended on corrupting the minds of children all is good.
    Replicant wrote:
    do you think they were purposely written as christian allegory? or are the parallels just drawn by people who wanted to make them?

CS Lewis wrote them as an allegory. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is based on the resurrection, the Magician's Nephew is based on Genesis. I don't think CS Lewis made any pretence that they were anything but parables to Christianity
    I dont mind that they were, the bible's a nice story. so long as they weren't intended on corrupting the minds of children all is good

Re-reading them when I was older I actually think they are made more interesting by the parable. When I first read them all I saw was an evil witch and magical animals and heros battling evil monsters.

I'm not convinced any reading corrupts children, as they're more sophisticated than many adults think. I'm not sure loads of children are reading Harry Potter today and demanding to be sent to boarding school and I'm not sure loads of children read CS Lewis and then went out and burnt heathens (and to be fair to CS Lewis he would have said if they did they'd missed a central theme of his books).
    you're right, I doubt it does...

it's interesting to know though :)
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fucking idiots. Right win goes mad again and tries to filter anything at all.

Supprised?
    What was the name of that animated movie, where a demon is released from an ancient tree (where he was imprisoned by fairies) and takes over a tree-felling machine and tries to destroy the rainforest and the fairies shrink one of the humans and he has to stop the demon?

That was the most obvious anti-pollution propaganda movie ever.
    What was the name of that animated movie, where a demon is released from an ancient tree (where he was imprisoned by fairies) and takes over a tree-felling machine and tries to destroy the rainforest and the fairies shrink one of the humans and he has to stop the demon?

That was the most obvious anti-pollution propaganda movie ever.
    Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest. Brilliant film. The main guy gets shrunk if I remember correctly.
    Captin Planet - now that really was propaganda, entertaining too.
    A few years ago I can remember seeing a computer game (rip-off from pac-man if I remember) in which you played the Euro, with the villains being the pound, the yen and the dollar.

I nearlly pissed myself laughing as yet another crappy PC game turned hordes of children off Europe for life (and don't get me started on the comic book the EU once gave me at a conference)
    Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest. Brilliant film. The main guy gets shrunk if I remember correctly.
    That's the one!
    Captin Planet - now that really was propaganda, entertaining too.
    Heart! lol.
    (and don't get me started on the comic book the EU once gave me at a conference)
    Well they had to do something to counter the anti-EU propaganda spread by those other celebrated comics, the S*n, Express and Daily Hatemail... ;)
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well they had to do something to counter the anti-EU propaganda spread by those other celebrated comics, the S*n, Express and Daily Hatemail... ;)

Yeah, but at least the Sun is entertaining. :D
    Fair enough... I must admit I can't imagine a comic on the wonders of EU being a lot of fun... :D