Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah but they still smoke out the front of my mums hospital, off the property, but right in front of the 'no smoking sign' :rolleyes:

I sometimes see this, but because I've never had to stand outside the hospital, it has never bothered me.
  • Options
    So what?

People who moan about others smoking outside in the open air need to get a life.

Yup.

I see the fucking Nazi nannies who run this country now want to up the legal age for buying fags to 18 (just to be like America)
  • Options
    Yup.

I see the fucking Nazi nannies who run this country now want to up the legal age for buying fags to 18 (just to be like America)

Tbh that doesn't really bother me hugely (although being 19 I guess that's partly because it doesn't affect me).

Although, I'm getting very fed up of the whole anti-smoking obsession. Every Friday and Saturday night enormous pressure is put on the NHS and the police almost entirely because of alcohol. And whilst it's easy to condemn binge drinking when you have an awful hangover it should be pointed out that regular binge drinking is not only unhealthy but something that also puts a lot of pressure (as well as costing a lot) to the NHS and police. Yet cutting smoking is the government's number one priority and alcohol doesn't seem any great priority at all...

It's obvious that something is seriously wrong when children are regularly and legally exposed to advertisements for alcohol but advertising tobacco solely to adults (which is also a legal product) is completely banned.
  • Options
    It's obvious that something is seriously wrong when children are regularly and legally exposed to advertisements for alcohol but advertising tobacco solely to adults (which is also a legal product) is completely banned.

Any of the smoking adverts I've just go on about how bad they are but I've never seen any alcohol adverts that show the same thing. (apart from the drink driving ones)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Any of the smoking adverts I've just go on about how bad they are but I've never seen any alcohol adverts that show the same thing. (apart from the drink driving ones)

Well I'm not calling for government funded anti-alcohol adverts in addition to the government funded anti-smoking ads that we have - I don't see why the taxpayer should have to pay for either. (Although, if private charities such as Cancer Research and the British Heart Foundation put on anti-smoking ads I've no problem).

Tobacco companies cannot advertise any of their brands - TV advertising, radio, magazine, billboard, etc is all banned. Since tobacco is a legal product like alcohol tobacco companies should imo be able to advertise it to adults. (At the moment alcohol companies seem to get away with advertising to children whilst tobacco firms are in the unique position of not being able to advertise a legal product to their adult customers).
  • Options
    Well I'm not calling for government funded anti-alcohol adverts in addition to the government funded anti-smoking ads that we have - I don't see why the taxpayer should have to pay for either.

... because it would be cheaper in the long run?
  • Options
    Tbh that doesn't really bother me hugely (although being 19 I guess that's partly because it doesn't affect me).

Although, I'm getting very fed up of the whole anti-smoking obsession. Every Friday and Saturday night enormous pressure is put on the NHS and the police almost entirely because of alcohol. And whilst it's easy to condemn binge drinking when you have an awful hangover it should be pointed out that regular binge drinking is not only unhealthy but something that also puts a lot of pressure (as well as costing a lot) to the NHS and police. Yet cutting smoking is the government's number one priority and alcohol doesn't seem any great priority at all...

Cannot see what that has to do with the original point.

Alcohol labels have warnings on them and usually the units on the label... There are posters up all over the place that warn about alcohol and spiking... There have been programs on television warning about drinking.

Alcohol is nowhere near as addictive as tobacco and the effects are completely different. Your arguement doesn't really have a great deal to do with banning smoking in bars, but you have made a point.

Most people go into bars to drink, being able to smoke is a bonus and can be took outside for the three minutes during which you can have a fag. Binge drinking is a problem, but not the same problem as smoking in bars.
  • Options
    Yup.

Is that such a bad thing upping the age? Why do you think the govermant have a vendetta against smokers? They are raising the age in an attempt to save lives, (nothing to do with the Yanks) just like banning smoking in public places, to save lives.

In the long run they are doing you a favour weather you see it now or in 20 years time.
  • Options
    smoking bans are not going to save lives when there is not one person who has ever died due to passive smoking.
    Try asking any of the organisations supporting smoking bans to name anyone and they can't.
  • Options
    highlander wrote:
    smoking bans are not going to save lives when there is not one person who has ever died due to passive smoking.
    Try asking any of the organisations supporting smoking bans to name anyone and they can't.

It's not all about people dying, it's general comfort and health..as an asthmatic second hand cigarette smoke makes my throat tighten and makes me wheezey. Not to mention watery eyes, nasty smell etc.

So saying that nobody has died from passive smoking is not a valid argument against the smoking ban.
  • Options
    highlander wrote:
    It doesn't change the fact that those who spend their lives in a smoky environment are more likely to develop illnesses that are linked to smoking, even if they don't smoke themselves. In the same way that those who eat a McDonalds every day, you are more likely to die prematurely of certain illnesses than those who don't. But try and come up with a person that's indisputably died as a direct cause of eating too many McDonalds, and you won't be able to.
  • Options
    highlander wrote:

Go and tell that to Fiona Castle, she'll be delighted to hear from you.
  • Options
    highlander wrote:
    Tenner says it does.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Go and tell that to Fiona Castle, she'll be delighted to hear from you.

I'm sure she wouldn't, but she wouldn't be able to prove you wrong either.
  • Options
  • Options

Because a bunch of senile old fools really know a lot about night life...

And To Lord Wakemen: Personal choice goes both ways mate.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Because a bunch of senile old fools really know a lot about night life...

You really do come across as a bit thick when you make such stupid comments. :rolleyes:

Peers are not acting as an authority on 'nightlife' but fulfilling their role of speaking out against bad legislation from the Commons.
    The House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee says MPs failed to consider evidence that passive smoking is more risky in the home.

Its report calls on ministers to pay more attention to the risks to personal liberty posed by new legislation.

The report says that greater attention should have been given to scientific evidence, which it says suggests that passive smoking in public places is a relatively minor problem compared with passive smoking in the home.

What the fuck has the age of peers or nightlife got to do with their report? :rolleyes:
    Renzo wrote:
    And To Lord Wakemen: Personal choice goes both ways mate.

:confused: What are you on about now? At present most restaurants are completely non-smoking or have good separated areas. And some pubs/bars are non-smoking throughout, some have separate areas and some allow smoking everywhere. There is nothing in law (until July) stopping me opening a smoking bar - and you opening a non-smoking bar. And everybody can vote with their feet. What we have now is personal choice. What we'll have in July is an oppression of smokers and personal choice that was first seen in Nazi Germany. (The Nazis invented public smoking bans).
  • Options
    does anyone here say that smoking is good for their health? NO

the best thing smoking advocates can say is its their right to smoke, that is their right to harm themselves!!!

however they will always evade the fact that they may be harming others.

thats a fact.
  • Options
    Roy Castle died from lung cancer despite the fact he never smoked himself. He thought his illness was caused by years of playing in smoke filled clubs. He never once put forward one single iota of evidence to support this claim.

The simple truth is, that statistically, Roy Castle had the same chances of contracting lung cancer as somebody rarely or never exposed to ETS. Roy Castle didn't die because of passive smoking, he died because he was unlucky enough to get lung cancer.

Being a none smoker and not being exposed to ETS, makes you no more immune than being a none smoker and being regularly exposed to it. People get cancer all the time, most with no identifiable reason. Roy Castle was no exception to this.
  • Options
    highlander wrote:
    Roy Castle died from lung cancer despite the fact he never smoked himself. He thought his illness was caused by years of playing in smoke filled clubs. He never once put forward one single iota of evidence to support this claim.

The simple truth is, that statistically, Roy Castle had the same chances of contracting lung cancer as somebody rarely or never exposed to ETS. Roy Castle didn't die because of passive smoking, he died because he was unlucky enough to get lung cancer.

Being a none smoker and not being exposed to ETS, makes you no more immune than being a none smoker and being regularly exposed to it. People get cancer all the time, most with no identifiable reason. Roy Castle was no exception to this.
    Given that would you rather work in an enclosed room filled with cigaretter smoke or not??!??!

i think not.
  • Options
    highlander wrote:

You got any proof of this?

Whether ot no passive smoking causes lung cancer, it does still cayse harm.
  • Options
    Passive smoking makes me cough, which puts strain on my heart = shortened life span. ;)

(Anyone takes this serious, perhaps they need to start smoking. lol)
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Passive smoking makes me cough, which puts strain on my heart = shortened life span. ;)

LOL. I think some non smokers have said that it does make them cough and tightens their chest/throat.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

are you saying 2nd hand smoking doesnt make you cough???
  • Options
    are you saying 2nd hand smoking doesnt make you cough???
    I was making a joke about coughing shortening my lifespan. ;)
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I was making a joke about coughing shortening my lifespan. ;)
    forgive me but you saying that coughing doesnt shorten your lifespan but passive smoking does or may?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

http://www.data-yard.net/2/11/jnci.htm
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Whilst passive smoking doesn't have a neutral or positive effect on the recipient, it has never been proved that it is any more harmful than all the other nasty things that are in the air.

Yet most people don't know this hence why passive smoking is singled out as being worse than AIDS, the bubonic plague, the Nazi party and Chris de Burgh put together.
  • Options

Whilst passive smoking doesn't have a neutral or positive effect on the recipient, it has never been proved that it is any more harmful than all the other nasty things that are in the air.

Yet most people don't know this hence why passive smoking is singled out as being worse than AIDS, the bubonic plague, the Nazi party and Chris de Burgh put together.
    Given that, would you wanna work in a room filled with cigarette smoke?
  • Options
    No, but nor would I want to work in a room filled with exhaust smoke.

However, I think it should be the premises deciding and not the Government.