Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are Straight People Being Excluded?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was looking at MySpace and there are 33,433 groups for peple that are Gay, Lesibian or Bi.

The groups for people that were straight = Zero

The category doesn't even exist.

When you look at going out there's special Gay and Lesbian nights held all over the place. There's special Parades around the world, concerts, etc

So what about us straight folk, anyone feeling left out?

Comments

• Options
    No. actually.
  • Options
    Straights are welcome to set up groups aren't they? I think they just can't be bothered ... the advantages of being in the majority decrease the need for 'community'.
  • Options
    As a gay mate of mine says - "the whole world is a straight club". So, no.
  • Options
    If you're that bothered go and start your own.
  • Options
    poor straight people, they have a hell of a time, being discriminated against left right and centre.
  • Options

Not really. You?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Nope, I don't see why we need a special interest group. Do you?
  • Options
    well im not actuallly a straight folk and let me tell u these tint few acceptances make my life worth living. the world is mainly a very homophobic place.
  • Options
    i_am_bex wrote:
    these tint few acceptances make my life worth living.

You see this as acceptance? I see it as isolationism, you should feel like you need to have your own group.
  • Options
    I agree with MOK. It's one of those catch 22 things. By trying to make people fit in better by giving them extra privileges or a support group or whatever, it actually makes them stand out more and therefore alienates them from society further. If we ignore the fact that some people are different and assume that everyone has the same sexual tendencies then these people feel like they're odd because they don't fit in with the assumed identity.

It doesn't bother me that there are no groups for heterosexuals BUT it did used to bother me when I got hassled in gay clubs because I was straight.
  • Options
    I was looking at MySpace and there are 33,433 groups for peple that are Gay, Lesibian or Bi.

When you look at going out there's special Gay and Lesbian nights held all over the place. There's special Parades around the world, concerts, etc

You can say that about when awards go to black music artists only etc, and things like that.

But no, I am not particularly fussed its probably to protect gay people from comments.
  • Options
    I see it as isolationism, you should feel like you need to have your own group.
    :yes: it is segregation.

i think too much is amde of sexuality tbh. i class myself as gay. i don't feel isolated because of it but i don't feel specifically part of a gay scene either. i'm sure many straight people / gay / bi people feel the same.
    having said that on places like MySpace being bi- for example, esp. for girls, is seen as 'fashionable' which is a bit pathetic but its the way it is.
  • Options
    I don't think it is segregation in many cases.

Take a nightclub. If you go to a gay club then you can safely assume that its safe(ish) to hit on people of the same gender, but if you did that in a non-gay club you'd probably get twatted.

If the whole world is a straight bar, it makes perfect sense to show that you are different. I don't think that the thriving gay bars in Newcastle segregate themselves out from society, but they do need to advertise the fact that they are different.

I've never had any hassle in gay bars/clubs, a simple "no ta" seems to do the trick if you don't want to go with the person who's hitting on you.
  • Options
    I don't believe that it is about segregation, I think the issue is more that it's sad that LGBT societies in university (just an example) need to exist as support and a safe haven for people who may be discriminated against for who they choose to love.

I have a mate who's gay and back home she was kissing another woman in a club (she isn't a full on exhibitionist or anything) and got asked to stop by a woman. I know at least 3 people who have been jumped for being gay too...

See the thing with gay communities is that yes, they do segregate to an extent, but then doesn't every scene? People complain that gay people always want their rights, their clubs, their own internet forums but then so do people who adhere to certain subcultures... The only difference being you can choose which music you listen to and not your orientation.

I hold the (perhaps too optomistic) belief that one day we won't need a gay scene because sexuality will be seen as so fluid that nobody will care (unless the BNP ever get in).
    i think too much is amde of sexuality tbh. i class myself as gay. i don't feel isolated because of it but i don't feel specifically part of a gay scene either. i'm sure many straight people / gay / bi people feel the same.
    Actually some of the worse discrimination I got for my sexuality was from gay women!

But then the scene isn't about what sexual minorities make of their own sexuality and labels so much as what the rest of society does.
    having said that on places like MySpace being bi- for example, esp. for girls, is seen as 'fashionable' which is a bit pathetic but its the way it is.
    Again, the attitude that bisexuality is 'fashionable' worries me because it is a genuine issue for a lot of people (myself included when I was growing up, but meeting a certain woman really helped me accept stuff)... I don't see why anybody should have an issue with it.
  • Options

What about any singles/dating groups?

Which you can go to if you like.
  • Options
    I hold the (perhaps too optomistic) belief that one day we won't need a gay scene because sexuality will be seen as so fluid that nobody will care (unless the BNP ever get in).

I would definitely share your hope. I do not think the danger to further progress comes from the BNP however. Even in countries that have a far-right equivalent to the BNP with much more widespread popularity, such as in France and Holland gay rights are comparable. And it seems inconceivable that the BNP here will ever become the political force that the Front National is in France. The danger will come, in fact it's already here mainly from Islam but also the strand of evangelical Christianity that is rapidly growing in Britain. And the response of the government? To hand over money to these people so they can open 'faith schools' and indoctrinate children.
  • Options
    I would definitely share your hope. I do not think the danger to further progress comes from the BNP however. Even in countries that have a far-right equivalent to the BNP with much more widespread popularity, such as in France and Holland gay rights are comparable. And it seems inconceivable that the BNP here will ever become the political force that the Front National is in France. The danger will come, in fact it's already here mainly from Islam but also the strand of evangelical Christianity that is rapidly growing in Britain. And the response of the government? To hand over money to these people so they can open 'faith schools' and indoctrinate children.
    Yes and no... Labour have gone to the right betraying the working class in the eyes of many... RESPECT are a bit of a joke and again, a lot of them see RESPECT as pandering to the Muslim vote.

I never knew that there's a strand of evengelical Christianity.

The popularity of the BNP is growing, especially where I'm from. However, they have become better with the whole gay rights issue (didn't they want to recriminalise homosexuality before 2002?).. But don't they want to bring Section 28 back? Either way even if the BNP ever got in, they wouldn't be able to implement most of their policies.

I do believe gay rights are getting better in this country and I don't believe that any religion can knock that. We are a secular and liberal country.
  • Options
    Yes and no... Labour have gone to the right betraying the working class in the eyes of many...

What's that got to do with gay rights or religion?
    I never knew that there's a strand of evengelical Christianity.

Well there is and it's growing. I've no problem with that however I am somewhat concerned by the likes of Christian Voice...
    The popularity of the BNP is growing, especially where I'm from. However, they have become better with the whole gay rights issue (didn't they want to recriminalise homosexuality before 2002?).. But don't they want to bring Section 28 back? Either way even if the BNP ever got in, they wouldn't be able to implement most of their policies.

Indeed. And even if the BNP's popularity is growing people aren't supporting them because of their stance on gays. (Not that the average BNP voter supports gay rights). However, BNP successes are too often blown out of proportion. They're a tiny fringe party with very little support.
    I do believe gay rights are getting better in this country and I don't believe that any religion can knock that.

I hope you're right.
    We are a secular and liberal country.

No, we're not. Unlike the US and France we have no separation between Church and State. Our government funds various religious causes and is encouraging and subsidising the expansion of schools controlled by religious organisations.
  • Options
    What's that got to do with gay rights or religion?
    Sorry... My reply was poorly structured... What I meant is that a lot of working class people feel betrayed by Labour, who originally represented them. So who else do they vote for?
    Well there is and it's growing. I've no problem with that however I am somewhat concerned by the likes of Christian Voice...
    Yes, but then has their popularity grown? Or have they just been in the media more?
    Indeed. And even if the BNP's popularity is growing people aren't supporting them because of their stance on gays. (Not that the average BNP voter supports gay rights). However, BNP successes are too often blown out of proportion. They're a tiny fringe party with very little support.
    Maybe little support where you are from, not where I am from.

The majority of people I know are homophobic,but I didn't mean that they'd vote BNP because of their attitudes towards homosexuality... I just meant that with a right wing party getting increasing popularity that has a negative view towards homosexuality, this is more likely to cause trouble than a few right wing religions. In my opinion of course.

No, we're not. Unlike the US and France we have no separation between Church and State. Our government funds various religious causes and is encouraging and subsidising the expansion of schools controlled by religious organisations.
    Ah, thought our government was supposed to be secular? Or are they funding the CoE?
  • Options
    i_am_bex wrote:
    well im not actuallly a straight folk and let me tell u these tint few acceptances make my life worth living. the world is mainly a very homophobic place.

Examples please?
  • Options
    Sorry... My reply was poorly structured... What I meant is that a lot of working class people feel betrayed by Labour, who originally represented them. So who else do they vote for?

Ah I see your point. Well yeah, the BNP seem to get most of their support from discontented Labour voters.

Who else do they vote for? Well the LibDems at local level have been making progress in some northern cities that were Labour strongholds. And in London the Conservatives at the last local elections made inroads into several traditional Labour areas. My point is that not all pissed off Labour voters go to the BNP.
    Yes, but then has their popularity grown? Or have they just been in the media more?

A bit of both I think. They're very well organised and unlike the C of E they have a clear message they for the most part all agree on. (And I've read evangelicals within the C of E are growing fast). They seem to be getting pretty big at universities too.
    Maybe little support where you are from, not where I am from.

Fair enough, I just don't see any need to panic really.
    Ah, thought our government was supposed to be secular? Or are they funding the CoE?

Well we don't have any formal separation between Church and State.

In France and the US for instance religious schools are privately funded, in Britain most are state funded. It's never been a huge issue because most are C of E and Catholic and pretty open to children of all religions and none, and in case of C of E schools the religious stuff seems to be pretty light.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Examples please?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/5379706.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5087286.stm
    Examples from the Uk are above...

Saudi
    USA

There are millions of cases of homophobia, it happens in every country. In Iran you can be exected for being gay for example...

Homophobia does exist in the UK, you only have to work behind bars to hear people talking about it, or know members of LGBT communities. Some places are obviously worse than others...

For example a mate of mine used to get rocks thrown at her and be spat at by kids on her estate, another was beaten up in a nightclub and three lads jumped my brother. Somebody started on me in a bar calling me a dyke (I was DJing and didn't have a song for him)... Those were up north. I know down south only one case of homophobia, it was an attack on aguy who is straight, but he's very pretty and looks somewhat like a stereotypical gay... Can't speak much for homophobia in Kingston as I only have 2 gay male friends and my lesbian female friends, none of them look stereotypically gay.
  • Options
    I grew up in a white, catholic area, never met a gay or a protestant in my life until university. I'm the most tolerant person you can find. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I'm the most tolerant person you can find. :thumb:

And your website states :-

"Scared Of Gay people, Jews, Blacks, Crab People, Dyslexic people, Disabled people, both mentally and physically, Arabs, Mexicans, dirty poor people, anyone who can't afford a mars bar!"

:lol:
  • Options

No... If you meet a person anywhere at work or when going out you naturally assume he's straight, don't you?
    So gay, lesbian, bi people form groups so they know where to look for each other. I don't need a community for straight people, because I naturally assume this person is straight except I am taught otherwise anyway.
  • Options
    actually iit's more of a pity that gay night have to exist - it's not hard to say you ain't interested

most gay nights i've landed up going to with mates, would have been better to pull in with all the hen nights there anyway :p