Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

how would you class the drugs? and rank their harm?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What class would u rate the common drugs? Below is my personal list, with the drugs current class and what i think it should be.( rather pretenious as i think drugs should all be legal, pertend alcohol and tobacco got legalised too). It is based on harm to self, addiction potential and harm to society.

Drug

Diamorphine(heroin) A
Other opiates A
Cocaine A
Crack Cocaine A
Methlyamphetamine A
Barbuiates A
PCP A
Ketamine B
MDMA (Ecstasy) B
Cannabis C
psilocybin(mushrooms) B
LSD B
Alcohol A
Tobacco A
Amphetamines B
Caffene C (basis of relative harm)
DXM B

I feel mdma and lsd should move down and barbuiates up. also ketamine, i love that drug but its definitly class B at least. I,ve sadly given it up cause its too wierd fo me and i,m sure it has to fuck your head real bad long term.

How would you rank drugs in terms of danger? same criteria as b4. heres my list, add in other drugs if you wish.

1/ Methlyamphetamine (crystal meth)
2/ Crack cocaine
3/ diamorphine(heroin)
4/ Cocaine
5/ Barbuiates
6/ Other opiates
7/ Alcohol
8/ Tobacco
9/ PCP
10/Ketamine
11/ DXM
12/ Amphetamines
13/ Mdma
14/ psilocybin(mushrooms)
15/LSD
16/ Caffene
17/ Cannabis

Forgive my poor presentation. I,m a bit on edge right now.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pretty Pointless tbh...

Interesting you put cannabis at the bottom..
    I thought ketamine was less damaging to the brain than PCP and DXM?
    This is pointless. There's so many variables. For instance, heroin is apparently one of the safest drugs to use when used correctly.
    I'd rank them all under "do what the fuck you like, as long as I don't have to clean up after you."
    Addict wrote:
    This is pointless. There's so many variables. For instance, heroin is apparently one of the safest drugs to use when used correctly.

Well yes, but even if we had legal supply there would need to be tighter controls on some drugs than others.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a link to the report 'Making a hash of it? here, from the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, that addresses the relationship between scientific advice and evidence and the classification of illegal drugs. There is another one called 'Monitoring Drug Policy Outcomes: the measurement of drug related harm', by the Beckley Foundation, on the same page.
    2/ diamorphine(heroin)
    3/ Crack cocaine
    4/ Cocaine
    5/ Other opiates
    6/ Alcohol
    7/ Tobacco (unadultered)
    8/ Mdma
    9/ Amphetamines
    10/ Caffeine
    11/ PCP
    12/ Ketamine
    13/ DXM (recreational dosage)
    15/ LSD
    16/ Cannabis

I rather enjoy this thread, actually. It shows how danger is relative to the user.
    I tried to order it in terms of long-term abuse/addiction potential which, after tobacco, turned into long term damage. I based it all off of personal experience and first-person witnesses. I didn't really look at numbers/statistics when doing this list, and I feel that makes it more accurate for me. I don't know why, but I feel like the only statistic worth looking at is your own. I'm off topic.. so i'll give it back :)
    I took out the barbs, since I don't see them anymore.
    is caffeine really more harmful than horse tranquillizers, hallucinogens and cannabis?

it's very difficult to rank them by physical danger, especially when the social contexts of their use contributes to the harm caused.

binge drinking more dangerous than wine with dinner for example
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I certainly wouldn't put cannabis at the bottom of any list. I've seen more people have problems with cannabis than any other drug.
    Weekender Offender 
    2/ diamorphine(heroin)
    3/ Crack cocaine
    4/ Cocaine
    5/ Other opiates
    6/ Alcohol
    7/ Tobacco (unadultered)
    8/ Mdma
    9/ Amphetamines
    10/ Caffeine
    11/ PCP
    12/ Ketamine
    13/ DXM (recreational dosage)
    15/ LSD
    16/ Cannabis

PCP less dangerous than MDMA?

Amphetamines less dangerous than tobacco?

I too wouldnt put cannabis at the bottom, I'd say its roughly comparable in harm with alcohol and tobacco, all three if abused will kick back. Its just cannabis has no real social harms associated with it like alcohol has.
    See that is where this gets tricky.
    Surely caffeine, if taken responsibly, isn't too dangerous, but then again, none of these drugs really are dangerous if used in that manner. I know quite a few people who have thought since caffeine is legal, it is safe. They end up popping a box of nodoz and getting rushed to the ER with gastrointestanal bleeding.
    On the tobacco one, I didn't mean unadultered. I think tobacco unadultered is relatively safe. But again, people get addicted and end up using it constantly. My grandfather died from smoking cigarettes his whole life.
    Alcohol too, have you ever met a real alcoholic? It's sad the damage they've done to themselves. Again with the legality issue, people think it's safe. I know quite a few kids who have had their stomache pumped.
    I wasn't thinking too clearly when placing PCP below MDMA, PCP will mess up your head pretty fast.

Danger is all relative to the user. That's what I was trying to get at. There are so many factors. I think it is interesting to look at what drugs people place where and why.
    Danger is all relative to the user. That's what I was trying to get at. There are so many factors. I think it is interesting to look at what drugs people place where and why.

Certainly, and I dont think you can ever do a straight list like this, but I do think you can roughly group drugs together.

A = heroin, meth, strong opiates, crack, cocaine (poss)

B = MDMA, LSD, mushrooms, benzo's, DMT, salvia, GHB, alcohol

C = Cannabis, tobacco, caffiene
    budda wrote:
    Certainly, and I dont think you can ever do a straight list like this, but I do think you can roughly group drugs together.

I'd go along with that budda, but again its all down to circumstances, and the extent of use. Also I'd rank tobacco higher in terms of pure lethality.

Perhaps better would be a load of different lists, split by certain criteria. For example, drugs ranked in terms of:

1) Long term/short term harm to body.

2) Bodily/mental harm/illness.

3) Affluent or poor user (for instance, many doctors are addicted to morphine their whole life, but in medical purity and on a decent wage it will have no effect except occasional diorrhea. For an unemployed, uneducated person use will probably kill him/her, through involvement in crime, exposure to impure heroin, overdose, etc. However, if that same doctor smokes tobacco, there is a 50% chance it will kill him, independent of his income/position).

4) Moderate use/large amounts (or the potential to overdose)

5) Destructive or deleterious effect on career or lifestyle (e.g. crack, meth, maybe cannabis) compared to constructive (caffiene, possibly cocaine or cannabis, depending on occupation).

6) Tendency towards accidents or violence during use (e.g. alcohol, crack) compared to a reduced risk (e.g. caffiene, tobacco, maybe heroin)

7) Deleterious effect on socialization and tendency to isolation/alienation (maybe cannabis, crack) compared to increased socialization and increased empathy towards others (MDMA, maybe alcohol).
    etc etc.

8) Tendency to take over and dominate life (i.e. not just addictive but overpowering: heroin, meth, crack) compared to drugs which hardly ever do this (e.g. mushrooms, tobacco, LSD)

The list is endless. I'd suggest number 3 and 8 on the list are perhaps the most important.
    ive only got experience with alcohol, weed and tobacco.

how can you put tobacco as more dangerous than weed? especially when most people put tobacco in a joint and smoke it without a filter?

weed can mess you up.
    budda wrote:

Interesting ~However, surely the amounts of deaths caused by each drug should come into it. But I suppose its quite pointless because its all dependant on useage. I mean smoking 50 a day in comparison to 3 glasses a wine a night.

Or the odd line of charlie compared daily acid useage. Its the useage that causes the problems in society etc ~ so a f**ked up exercise really.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It's all about risk. What risk does it pose to the user, and what risk does it pose to society.
    Weekender Offender 
    A- meth, crack, heroin, coke, GHB
    B - amphetamine, ket, ecstasy
    C - cannabis, tobacco
    Legal - acid, shrooms, salvia! In my perfect psychedelic world.
    A- meth, crack, heroin, coke, GHB
    B - amphetamine, ket, ecstasy
    C - cannabis, tobacco
    Legal - acid, shrooms, salvia! In my perfect psychedelic world.

GHB is not as dangerous as either meth, crack or heroin at all.

And why have acid legal and cannabis not, acid has more potential for harm I think.