Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Wireless network - Just What Do I Need

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wireless Networking, not something i was or am very knowledgeable about to be honestI'm looking for definitive answers to some questions i have.

I have Telewest Broadband connected via the ethernet port if it's relevant. I have a second pc that i want to put downstairs in the lounge and share my broadband with it.

I know i don't need an ADSL Modem only a router, at least that was my [little] understanding, but that's all i know.

So what do i need all in all to share the broadband ?

I'll also want to connect my PSP to it aswell.

I'd probably buy online so feel free to link me to things though preferably play.com or amazon.co.uk

:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do not buy an ADSL router. You need a cable router (Sometimes called an ethernet router)

You just connect the cable router to your (I assume) motorolla surfboard modem. then you can either connect pc's with a wire (general cat5 networking cable) or using wireless. your psp will be ideal to test whether the wireless is working properly :-)
    Crap i said the wrong thing, i actually did mean cable router, don;t know why i said adsl ! Oops.

I'm going for total wireless due to the distance involved.

What is the connection i need to buy to fit into the other pc that'll be located downstairs though ?
    the machine downstairs will either need an internal PCI wi-fi card, with antenna, or a USB one. the choice is yours :-)
    Aw nice. Not too difficult at all by the sounds of it.
    I have another question, randomly popped into my head. Do you lose any of the broadband speed by using these wireless routers and such like and if so what kind of drop are we talking about. I'm on 4MB BB if it helps.
    My Belkin USB WiFi Networking Card just died :crying:

Luckily I think everything Belkin make is covered by a life time warranty - they even paid the postage to sent it back to them .. :thumb:

People don't always Praise Belkin but I think their warranty is unmatched

Even when I phoned their customer support the phone was in a queue for 5 minutes after 5 minutes the system says they'll call you back and they did.
    edn1 wrote:
    I have another question, randomly popped into my head. Do you lose any of the broadband speed by using these wireless routers and such like and if so what kind of drop are we talking about. I'm on 4MB BB if it helps.

Nope, wireless is alot faster than any broadband speeds on the market.
    noog wrote:
    Nope, wireless is alot faster than any broadband speeds on the market.

Noog is right. What he is saying is that your 4Mb link is far slower than what your wireless can perform at so it will not be a cause of a bottleneck.