Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Need Help With Sound Card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have recently installed a dvd rw on my pc and all of a suddenly i can no longer play any sounds on my pc, i have used the windows help and that is useless, it says my sound card is installed and working properly, me dads a computer programmer and he doesnt know whats wrong, my sound card is an intergrated one and not sure of the make, i play my sounds through my stereo and, my stereo and cable connecting it to my pc also work properly, ive tried unplugging my new dvd rw and still doesnt work.

Does anyone have any ideas so i dont have to pay money for it to be fixed :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, very bizarre. This may sound a little patronising but have you double checked that the connection to your speakers is in the right place? It's very easy to plug it into the wrong hole on the soundcard. It might be worthwhile downloading a 'live cd' of linux and burning it onto cd (I recommend knoppix). If you boot off the disc and the sound works then you can assume the problem is windows/driver related. If no sounds work then you can assume it's hardware related.

I've actually been in a similar situation to you though. I connected up a new DVD-RW to a machine, should've been a straight forward operation, but since connecting the DVD-RW the graphics cards have been playing up big-time. It's the worst kind of computer problem.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Could it be an issue of the PTU (or whatever that thing that feeds power to the computer is called) not being strong enough to support all these devices?
  • Options
    PSU, yeah.. that's a possibility but it'd surely go back to normal once the offending power-hungry drive was removed.. you'd think.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Oh right, I didn't notice he tried unplugging it too...
  • Options
    nemisus wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas so i dont have to pay money for it to be fixed :banghead:

If it comes down to paying for it to be fixed just buy a new sound card instead or get a USB one. Sound cards cost next to nothing. Certainly a lot less then paying for a person's time to fix it.

And if it was the PSU I Doubt the PC would even start - my friend's PC wouldn't even turn on with two optical drives attached.

Maybe you hit it with some static and blew it up.

My cousins blew up his laptop's soundcard by plugging it into a TV whist both the laptop and TV were on.
  • Options
    Basic checks -

Is it muted?
    Is the volume too low?
    If you look in start- control panel - system - hardware - device manager does your sound card show up as working?

When you say "any sounds" do you mean anything at all, or sounds that come from the DVD?
  • Options
    it doesnt play music sounds or system sounds, tried everything mist suggests, and is it worth buying a new sound card cus it may not work either
  • Options
    no problems people ive sorted it