Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Unlocked phones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all

Just got a new, never been used k608i phone off my mate today. I've got it unlocked and I've put my old Virgin PAYG sim in it. It's not happening though, it always says there's no network access available, but if I put my SIM in my old phone then it works fine.

Already manually changed the network preferences in the new phone, but it only ever shows the Virgin reception very rarely.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Are you sure the phone has never been used, the no network thing normally happens when a phone has been blocked by the provider when it's reports as stolen or something
  • Options
    tried a different network's sim card? if that does the same thing then there's a decent chance the phone might've been network barred.

If it's barred you can have the IMEI changed in more shadey places (It's illegal afterall) Or you can just give it to someone who lives abroad, as the uk blacklist of stolen phones is only really enforced by UK networks
  • Options
    Totally sure it's never been used.

It's actually a 3 phone and I actually work in the 3 contact centre itself so I could probably have a look on the systems tomorrow if need be.

Have tried phoning somebody on it when it did get Virgin but it just beeped out.
  • Options
    iirc vodafone and t-mobile will let you register a sim onto their network using a blocked handset, and only when you dial will it 'beep out', Just try a mates sim from another phone.

Or maybe the network unlock didn't take properly. 3's phone's are notoriously hard to unlock. Only 2 weeks ago i bricked a brand new perfectly good razr v3x because I made a mistake unlocking it.