Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Solicitors fees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having studied land and contract law during my LLB, do i have to employ solicitors to convey estates? do i have to be qualified or is a keen interest and understanding of our legal system sufficient in my mind to do this myself.

Comments

• Options
    If you want to do your own conveyancing you can do. There's nothing stopping you.

Speaking as a conveyancer, though, I'd really suggest that you don't. We know what we're doing, and have access to various resources (such as the Land Registry's internal website) that private individuals do not have. We know what to look for in the register, we know what requisitions to raise, we have the ability to quickly discharge and register title. Many lenders will baulk at a private conveyance from someone who isn't qualified, too, and will refuse to issue mortgage finance.

You wouldn't be saving money, and you'd probably cock it up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you want to do your own conveyancing you can do. There's nothing stopping you.

Speaking as a conveyancer, though, I'd really suggest that you don't. We know what we're doing, and have access to various resources (such as the Land Registry's internal website) that private individuals do not have. We know what to look for in the register, we know what requisitions to raise, we have the ability to quickly discharge and register title. Many lenders will baulk at a private conveyance from someone who isn't qualified, too, and will refuse to issue mortgage finance.

You wouldn't be saving money, and you'd probably cock it up.

I agree and I also work in conveyancing
  • Options
    Plus, some mortgage companies insist on it being done by professionals.. incase you do cock it up. lol
  • Options
    Having studied land and contract law during my LLB, do i have to employ solicitors to convey estates? do i have to be qualified or is a keen interest and understanding of our legal system sufficient in my mind to do this myself.

Is linked to your other thread about building your own house? If so you seriously need to rethink your plans.
  • Options
    Plus, some mortgage companies insist on it being done by professionals.. incase you do cock it up. lol

The conveyancer has to certify to the lender than the title to the property is secure for their lending. They won't accept that certification from someone who isn't qualified as a solicitor or licensed conveyancer.

And when even big firms make some spectacular cock-ups (about five years ago my firm missed a restrictive covenant saying that only the descendants of one family may occupy the house) its not a good idea to try and do it yourself.