Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i hate essays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
any one know how to reference using harvard style? and what is it exactly ? call me thick or what ever but i feel like ive been thrown into the deep end at uni, i only learnt how to write a basic essay last year at sixth form and what they expect aint what ive been taught :crying:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you take something that isn't yours, i.e a few ideas, diagrams or paragraphs out of a book put a reference. If you quote dr smith said "blah" no reference is needed.

The reference should go authors name, Book/Article name, Journal (if applicable) and then page number.

All sources of references must be listed alphabetically in a bibliography at the end.

For example, in an essay last year i took this from a book but did not quote it
    Investigations carried out on situations referred to the MMC were compiled into reports which were given to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry who would decide on a course of action. This person would only decide on taking action if the situation was seen to damage the public interest. Section 83 of the act laid out five criteria to be taken into account in determining public interest

the reference at the end went
    Donald A. Hay and Derek J. Morris Industrial Economics and Organisation p612

and bibliography part:
    Hay, Donald Andrew, Morris, Derek J, Industrial economics and organization : theory and evidence, Oxford University Press, 1991,
  • Options
    you could easily do a google search or even better ask your lecturers.

the way i've been taught is: author/s, year it was published, name of book, publishers and where it was published, followed by page numbers used.

taken from my dissertation bibliography...

• Biggs, S. (1993). Understanding ageing: images, attitudes and professional practice. Open University Press, Buckingham. Page 54.
  • Options
    Oh no this all sounds like a mission!
    Essays at college are hard enough...maybe I'll cancel my Uni applications...
  • Options
    i suppose it depends on what kind of degree you are doing.

there were a lot of marks for presentation. so if (for LLB Law) in the first sentence you should assert the point of the paragraph, then elaborate and support with rounded authority remebering to underline cases used and give full citation in the footnotes which you should be taught how to do.

Harvard style? how pretentious, what could they mean? perhaps i should ask my richer friends overseas while im picking chewing gum off the carpets at UWE.
  • Options
    all written in alphabetical order. (nb. the fullstops, brackets and commas, etc)
    basically this is how:-

surname of author, initials., any other author, initials.
    title of the paper
    (year published) name of journal, reference to the journal, page numbers from-to.

eg.
    Smith, J.S., Jones., J.T.
    Nutrition variability in sandwiches
    (1987) Journal of whatever, 31, pp. 139-145.
  • Options
    I feel your pain. Doing one right now.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I feel your pain. Doing one right now.
    its not that bad really. its just tedious doing it.
    to the OP, you'll be very used to it by the time your graduate. :)
  • Options
    Really? I fucking love writing essays. Just a flow of ideas - it's fantastic.

As far as referencing goes. I believe the following is the industry standard.

Author, Book title, Place of publication, year, pages

For example,

Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master & Margarita, London, 1967, pp. 33-132

This should be done in references in the text via a footnote with the specific page number included. In the bibliography, it isn't generally necessary to put page numbers as they should have been put in the footnotes when you cited the book.

As for footnotes, they follow the same pattern. Though you shouldn't name the same book twice on one page. Rather, write this (assuming both footnotes came from the same book, otherwise you need to draw distinctions.

1. Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master & Margarita, London, 1967, p. 33
    2. Ibid
    3. Ibid

Normally put the publishing city rather than publishing house, so just put London rather than Penguin.

Also, if it's published by an academic institution, then put that; MIT, Harvard, OUP whatever. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    There are loads of different referencing styles out there, that's why it's so confusing! But (and no offence to anyone, I know you're just trying to help) when she specifically asks for Harvard style it's confusing to just post what you do, because you've all posted something different and none of them are Harvard style.

What you need is:
    Surname, Initials, Year of Publication. Full title of book (in italics). Place of Publication: Name of Publisher.
    eg. Bulgakov, M., 1967. The Master and Margarita. London: Oxford University Press.

Either you put that information in a bibliography at the end of the essay, or you put it in a footnote at the bottom of your page (in Word, go to Insert, then Footnote). You need to use a footnote if you've taken a direct quote from a book and used it in your essay - and if you're doing this, you'll need to add a page number onto the end of the reference in the style "p. 15" or "pp. 15-16". Any books you've read to research your essay need to go in the bibliography.

If you need to reference anything a bit more complicated (ie. a journal, web page, book with more than one author), check out this site for all the details:
    http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
  • Options
    Sorry I had no idea what Harvard style was (maybe a sexual position?) so I went with what I knew. From a completely personal point of view, I think it's dumb having the year at the beginning because surely that falls more under publishing information (ie. location, publisher) than it has to do with the author's name and the book title. Just a thought.

Sadly there is no universal system. Even within the Uni o' Bristaal there is no concensus on how you should properly reference things. Which is really fucking stupid in my opinion.
  • Options
    Harvard is a recognised convention, I would assume it goes for the date early on as it puts the reference into a time context.
  • Options
    If you want to properly reference something from a website use this format (thought this might be useful as i've just had to do it):

Dutta, D. 2002. Retail @ The Speed of Fashion: Case study [online]. Third Eyesight. Available at: http://www.3isite.com/articles.htm [Accessed 1 December 2006]
  • Options
    Sadly there is no universal system. Even within the Uni o' Bristaal there is no concensus on how you should properly reference things. Which is really fucking stupid in my opinion.

I agree, I'm doing modules with two different departments and each department uses a different referencing system. Why does it really matter as long as you're giving a bit of information about which books you've read? Crazy.
  • Options
    my post WAS the harvard system.
    i have to use it on all my assignements too. :)
  • Options
    Unless they specifically ask you to use one particular system, it's ok as long as you adhere to one system and be consistent in using it.
  • Options
    :no:

not for me.

in my 2nd year at uni i stuck to 1 method and it was never ever picked up on. this year my dissertation tutor told me i was doing it incorrectly and was really shocked that no one had said anything before!
  • Options

In general it is convention for Sciences/Social sciences to use the Harvard style, whilst Arts & Humanities tend to use the 'Firstname, Surname Title (Place of publication, year), p. x' approach.

I've always been a bit confused though about why you need to leave the publishers off? I'd have thought that was more important than the place of publication, but hey, academics are wierd creatures

Out of interest, which department in Bristol are you at? In the History department I think there were departmental guidelines, or at least all the tutors expected the same style of referencing. Sheffield uses the same style too.
  • Options
    Modern Languages.

There's no concensus there so you get different people telling you different things which is pretty confusing.
  • Options
    Modern Languages.

There's no concensus there so you get different people telling you different things which is pretty confusing.

Oh dear.

Do you just do Russian or is it joint with something else? I was in the German department (I did History with German) - it was lovely, quite small, so everybody knew everyone else and I think Bertha, the departmental secretary, was on first name terms with all the students!! Aww, I miss it. I can't remember what people said about referencing, though. I just stuck with what I did in the History dept and no-one complained.
  • Options
    Sadly the Arts faculty has felt it necessary to amalgamate all the ModLands depts to one single office. We had the lovely Hazel in the Russian department but now they've had a massive reshuffle, the whole thing has gone tits up.

I do Spanish and Russian. The Spanish dept. is completely weekend and badly organised. That and the ASS library is desperately understocked. It's shocking. I even wrote to the Epigram about it.
  • Options
    Haravrd style is gay! :cool:
  • Options
    Incidentally, when you reference within a text you just need to put (name, year: page).

E.g. Before 1991 there was no gender study within archaeology (Wiley, 1991:3).

Or, if Wiley had written 2 papers in 1991 that you've referenced, mark them (yeara) and (yearb).

E.g. Before 1991 there was no gender study within archaeology (Wiley, 1991a:3).

UCL describe the Harvard citation style here.
  • Options
  • Options
    The best advice anyone can give the OP is to tell them to send an email to their tutor/one of the lecturers/someone in the department that *should* know what they are talking about and ask them to give a proper example of how you would reference an author within the essay and also how you need to lay out your Reference Section at the end of your essay (this is also important and can vary from department to department).

As you can see from all the posts here, different departments have different ideas about referencing sources so the best thng you can do OP is send thar email and ask for an example. Nobody is going to fault you for doing that- they will however, fault you for referencing incorrectly so better safe than sorry.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    I have to reference using Harvard, and I do Eng/Journalism. They have an online guide that you can download in PDF. :thumb:
  • Options
    1. Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master & Margarita, London, 1967, p. 33

What an odd reference, I just read that a little while ago its a facinating book.
  • Options
    Would just like to reitterate the whole I hate essays vibe. Grr. :impissed: