Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Driving lessons

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Littleali wrote:
    automatics may have been more expensive back in the days, but now, there is very little difference in price

and i dont find them limiting, they get me from A to B which is all i want/need

good for your aunt, i however can`t afford to take loads of manual lessons and loads of tests, i need to be on the road quickly with as little money spent as possible, which is why automatics are perfect for me

as for your little piece at the end, there is a lot of co-ordination involved, for example, when i was coming to a roundabout, i found it difficult to slow down, clutch, change gears, check to my right and signal all at the same time

Bear in mind the gearboxes tend to give out on automatics and it's quite expensive to fix...
    If you don't drive a manual because there are too many things to think about and you can't manage more than one thing at once then you probably shouldn't be driving.

To be fair she probably just hasn't got the 'knack' of gears. I couldn't do them when I first started riding bikes and found concentrating on clutch control and gear changes meant my road sense was reduced - probably what she is thinking now. But when you've got it you don't think about it all, do you? You could change gears with your eyes closed no doubt. I think as soon as you've got it though... that's it for life :)
    I've owned a couple automatic cars and they are ok. Got me from A to B, albeit not very quickly. It's a bit like driving a dodgem I suppose. I'm glad I have a manual licence as it's more versatile, if I need to borrow a friends car or use a pool / hire care it's not a problem.
    To be fair she probably just hasn't got the 'knack' of gears. I couldn't do them when I first started riding bikes and found concentrating on clutch control and gear changes meant my road sense was reduced - probably what she is thinking now. But when you've got it you don't think about it all, do you? You could change gears with your eyes closed no doubt. I think as soon as you've got it though... that's it for life :)
    i can change gears but like you said, i find it hard concerntrating on doing the clutch and gears AND keeping my witts about me which is why i chose automatic

so to all the people moaning that i shouldnt be on the road if i cant do more than one thing at once, thats exactly WHY i chose an automatic, because i am safer in them as there is less to consider
    I've owned a couple automatic cars and they are ok. Got me from A to B, albeit not very quickly. It's a bit like driving a dodgem I suppose. I'm glad I have a manual licence as it's more versatile, if I need to borrow a friends car or use a pool / hire care it's not a problem.
    my mum`s automatic goes fast enough! so i dont get where you`re coming from on that one...30mph in an auto is the same as 30 mph in a manual (or i presume it is!)

as for having a manual licence, yes its more versatile, and at some point i hope to be able to drive a manual car, but at the moment, due to time and money, i cant afford to spend time mastering things right now :)
    Littleali wrote:
    my mum`s automatic goes fast enough! so i dont get where you`re coming from on that one...30mph in an auto is the same as 30 mph in a manual (or i presume it is!)

I'm talking about the speed at which you pull away. Not normally a problem but if you are pulling out into fast traffic I found it a bit scary reaching the speed as the rest of the traffic on the road. I think some of the newer automatics have something called "kickdown" where you floor the accelarator to make it drop a gear. Neither of mine appeared to have this feature so when you were going up a long steep hill you would have to wait for the revs to drop to the correct level for the gearbox to change. Seemed to take forever!!

I'm not having a go at you. You drive whatever you like! I'm just giving you my perspective as an experienced automatic and manual driver. If I saw my dream car but it had an automatic gearbox it wouldn't put me off buying it.
    My dream car wouldn't have an automatic gearbox...

The reason why it bothers me that you are choosing the auto so that there is less to think about is because it suggests to me that you're saying you can only concentrate on a certain number of things at once.

This is pretty bad in a car driving situation where, really, any number of things could happen at once.
    Mist wrote:
    My dream car wouldn't have an automatic gearbox...

The reason why it bothers me that you are choosing the auto so that there is less to think about is because it suggests to me that you're saying you can only concentrate on a certain number of things at once.

This is pretty bad in a car driving situation where, really, any number of things could happen at once.
    right ok..

if i was a danger to society on the roads, my instructor wouldnt be putting me in for my test after christmas

i can assure you i can drive, i am perfectly capable of using 2 pedals, indicators and my mirrors and my eyes

i am not gonna explain AGAIN that i find it hard to do those things AND use my clutch and gears

you`re making out like i`m not safe to be out on the roads, which is untrue and i think that i`m being responsible for choosing an auto as i know i`ll probably be a safer driver in one

i have actually had lessons in a manual, and i did ok (although i wasnt confident) but ended up having to quit my lessons due to financial reasons, and have since decided it`d be quicker and cheaper for me to go for an auto for now
    I was not saying that driving an auto makes anyone a worse driver. I would be very unlikely to ever say that, being as we had a thread where some people were saying that before and I said that that idea was a pile of crap then, it still is.

However, I still doubt the driving skill of someone who freely admits to having problems concentrating on lots of things at once. Hopefully that will improve.
    Mist wrote:
    I was not saying that driving an auto makes anyone a worse driver. I would be very unlikely to ever say that, being as we had a thread where some people were saying that before and I said that that idea was a pile of crap then, it still is.

However, I still doubt the driving skill of someone who freely admits to having problems concentrating on lots of things at once. Hopefully that will improve.

She can probably cope with lots of things at once, but surely you remember what its like when you dont have the hang of gears, you pay 100% attention to the gear change cos you're so scared of stalling...
    Mist wrote:

doubt me all you want, i have explained to you till i`m blue in the face...

but i`m going in for my test after christmas and i dont think a driving instructor, who has been in his job for 27 years would put me in for my test if he doubted my driving skills

TheShyBoy is spot on as is the girl with sharp teeth
    I am really confused to why some people seem to be ganging up on Ali for choosing to learn to drive in an automatic and suggesting that this means she might not be fit to be on the roads if she "can't concentrate" on a number of different things at once. So if someone can drive when smoking and with a phone to their ear - does that mean they can concentrate on more things at once...? No it just means their concentration is divided differently.

Like Ali said, she might one day plan to get a manual licence as well but I don't know why a manual license is so much better. Being able to "concentrate" on more things at once does not always make a better driver...hence the phone/smoking example.

The people we should be scare of on the roads are the ones who seem to forget (or ignore!) every skill that let them pass and just do what suits them. Give Ali a break! :razz:
    thanks halo, glad you understand where i`m coming from :)
    I know what you mean too LittleAli. To be fair, I'm only learning in a manual and taking my manual test because I love my little car (and it's manual) and I know i'll never get around to taking my manual test if I do automatic first. I don't have the detirmination to put myself through this twice :). Plus, the deal was if I did a manual test, I'd be put on the boyfriends mums work insurance, nice sparkly new car to drive around every 3 years :D If I pass tomorrow, I'm being a taxi driver for everyones christmas parties next week in the lovely Mazda 3 :D

People learn in automatics for different reasons. If anything, those who learn in automatic and then go on to take their manual licence are putting in twice the effort, getting experience on the road before they have to worry about including gears into the mix - I think it's a good mix.
    Nikki* wrote:
    I know what you mean too LittleAli. To be fair, I'm only learning in a manual and taking my manual test because I love my little car (and it's manual) and I know i'll never get around to taking my manual test if I do automatic first. I don't have the detirmination to put myself through this twice :). Plus, the deal was if I did a manual test, I'd be put on the boyfriends mums work insurance, nice sparkly new car to drive around every 3 years :D If I pass tomorrow, I'm being a taxi driver for everyones christmas parties next week in the lovely Mazda 3 :D

People learn in automatics for different reasons. If anything, those who learn in automatic and then go on to take their manual licence are putting in twice the effort, getting experience on the road before they have to worry about including gears into the mix - I think it's a good mix.
    awww well good luck! hope u pass

x
    I did my pass plus yesterday. That was great fun. First time on the motorway with gale-force winds, lashing it down with rain, trying to keep the car in a straight line. :thumb:
    I did my pass plus yesterday. That was great fun. First time on the motorway with gale-force winds, lashing it down with rain, trying to keep the car in a straight line. :thumb:

It's always better to have a lesson in difficult conditions than on a sunny lovely day with no traffic and then get flustered when you have to do it yourself. I did my CBT in september with rain, it was quite cold :( but we had a good day.

Ooh bikes *humps*
    It's always better to have a lesson in difficult conditions than on a sunny lovely day with no traffic and then get flustered when you have to do it yourself. I did my CBT in september with rain, it was quite cold :( but we had a good day.
    Still it's nice to be able to keep the car on the road. A lot of it was essentially my driving instructor telling me where all the speed cameras are, and where the police like to hide with their speed guns. Preston is awful. There must be a million speed cameras in that place.
    I did my CBT in september with rain

Did mine in snow, great fun that was! I soon grew an immunity to the cold, but since getting rid of my little moped :D I soon started feeling every draft again :(
    Still it's nice to be able to keep the car on the road. A lot of it was essentially my driving instructor telling me where all the speed cameras are, and where the police like to hide with their speed guns. Preston is awful. There must be a million speed cameras in that place.

The worst I've experienced is overtaking a lorry on my bike, after you pass it you get a big sidewind that blows you from one side of the lane to the other. :thumb: It's all good. The people who I want to do my lessons with say it'll take 3-4 weeks to get my test booked and they recommend I book as soon as I've done my theory test! (which will be over christmas)

So my first test will be end of jan / start of feb :eek2: how weird is that!