Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Driving lessons

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Will 4 a week bore me?

I won't be getting any private practice, so it will all be down to my own skill. However, I've ridden a motorbike on the road for a year so have impeccable road sense :angel: and my mum said I was natural when I drove her car (which was an automatic though).

So I was thinking of doing 4 a week to get it done before easter, so 8 in the next two weeks, then maybe another 12 after christmas and then see if I'm read for a test, and see how I go.

Money is now luckily *thanks god* an issue. Especially since it's £12 for the first five lessons and £18 thereafter. (and they have one of the highest pass rates in York, 50% or something silly)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Driving in York is an utter bitch. Speaking of utter bitches, if you get the examiner called Bridget on your test, then you can kiss passing good bye!
    £12 for a driving lesson?! Mine were £22 and that was cheap for round here (Sevenoaks)! I don't think 4 a week is too much, I had on average 3 a week. Especially if you're not having any private tuition you may as well just hit it full on.
    I don't reckon you'll need that many if you've already been on the road on a motorbike for ages. I'd say I was ready for my test after about 20, and I'd never driven before and didn't have a car to practice in.
    Driving in York is an utter bitch. Speaking of utter bitches, if you get the examiner called Bridget on your test, then you can kiss passing good bye!

I'm used to roads, driving around Leicester on my 125 (it's kind of one way and kind of fucked up too :D) - all I've got learn is how to handle a car and road positioning and of course keeping the examiner happy ;).

I'm going with www.ukdrive.net for the time being. Should be good :thumb:. I just hope they don't -not- let my drive, I want to dive in head first if you get what I mean. I found that working out the clutch on a bike didn't work when I tried to take it slowly, so being aggressive when I got my own bike worked a treat :).

Not that I'm an aggresive rider / driver, I drive sensibly and don't speed, just prefer revving the engine and having a good pull away than the 'slow and gentle' we get told to do. Maybe it's riding a bike that's done that to me though..

What a lovely name! How could she possibly be an utter bitch? :o
    My brother rode a scooter for a couple of years (the shame) and he passed this driving test first time after 20 lessons.
    Go for it.

Just check out what the booking time is to get a driving test, because if it's 16 weeks like it often is round here you may want to space them out a bit more after a couple of weeks so you don't get ready too quickly and end just paying for lessons to keep you up to scratch for ages while you wait for a test.

As for the clutch thing, remember examiners hate boy racers, and revving the engine in their eyes is a sure sign of that!
    But having high revs means the power is 'there' ready for when you drop the clutch, incase you need to get away speedily (runaway train, police, guy in crap car egging you on etc.). Well, not raelly justified in a car, in a bike you need to have the power ready because people can (and do!!!!) try to kill you.

Well I'll speak to them when I start, but the lessons are fairly cheap and it would be nice to pass first time as well :)
    The clutch comes UP in a car, I can see why you'd do it on a bike, cars are a little different though!
    Yeah I don't think you'll do very well reving the engine on a test. You'd probably get marked down for poor control or something.
    Well on my test I'm not going to rev it.

I'm just over excitable at the minute :p.
    The clutch comes UP in a car, I can see why you'd do it on a bike, cars are a little different though!
    They do on a bike as well. Or at least they did the last time I had a go on one.
    On a bike:

squeeze the clutch to disengage the engine. release grip to re-engage. let go altogether to go flying :D
    My lessons used to cost about £19 each. A grand later, five failed tests and I still cant drive. :rolleyes: Ces la vi.
    I might (will) wait till after christmas... do my theory (tests) over christmas, get 4 lessons a week in (i.e. two two hour lessons) and in a few weeks take my practical. If there is a waiting time I'll change from 4 lessons per week to 1 or 2. :thumb:

Hopefully looking at <£500 but you never know.
    Will 4 a week bore me?

I won't be getting any private practice, so it will all be down to my own skill. However, I've ridden a motorbike on the road for a year so have impeccable road sense :angel: and my mum said I was natural when I drove her car (which was an automatic though).

So I was thinking of doing 4 a week to get it done before easter, so 8 in the next two weeks, then maybe another 12 after christmas and then see if I'm read for a test, and see how I go.

Money is now luckily *thanks god* an issue. Especially since it's £12 for the first five lessons and £18 thereafter. (and they have one of the highest pass rates in York, 50% or something silly)

You can ride a motorbike but not drive a car ? :eek2:

£12 is well cheap for lessons
    You can ride a motorbike but not drive a car ? :eek2:

£12 is well cheap for lessons

Only the first five, like an introductory. They say "£60 for the first five lessons" which is £12 per lesson. I've never been in a car except once and mum said I was fine (though there were no gears, but from riding a bike I know how they work) so will have to see. With any luck I should pass quickly :)
    My lessons used to cost about £19 each. A grand later, five failed tests and I still cant drive. :rolleyes: Ces la vi.
    have you considered just passing in an automatic?

thats what i`m doing as i have NO co-ordination :lol:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Littleali wrote:
    have you considered just passing in an automatic?

thats what i`m doing as i have NO co-ordination :lol:

But that will limit you to automatics. I don't think you should write off manual cars that quickly, tbh. Take some lessons in a manual and then decide.

And for what it's worth, I have poor co-ordination at times, however, I can drive a manual just fine.
    But that will limit you to automatics. I don't think you should write off manual cars that quickly, tbh. Take some lessons in a manual and then decide.

And for what it's worth, I have poor co-ordination at times, however, I can drive a manual just fine.
    i`d hardly say £1000 and 5 tests is "writing it off quickly"

as for me, i`ve tried in a manual, didnt work for me, dont see anything wrong in being "limited" to automatics if thats what i`m comfortable with
    Littleali wrote:
    i`d hardly say £1000 and 5 tests is "writing it off quickly"

as for me, i`ve tried in a manual, didnt work for me, dont see anything wrong in being "limited" to automatics if thats what i`m comfortable with
    Many people are in your situation of spending money and then failing a number of times. My aunt failed her test 7 or 8 times. But didn't give up and is driving fine now.

I would seriously consider persevering as (I think) automatics are more expensive and are very limiting.

Also, I don't think that there is much co-ordination needed to change gears and use the clutch.
    Many people are in your situation of spending money and then failing a number of times. My aunt failed her test 7 or 8 times. But didn't give up and is driving fine now.

I would seriously consider persevering as (I think) automatics are more expensive and are very limiting.
    automatics may have been more expensive back in the days, but now, there is very little difference in price

and i dont find them limiting, they get me from A to B which is all i want/need

good for your aunt, i however can`t afford to take loads of manual lessons and loads of tests, i need to be on the road quickly with as little money spent as possible, which is why automatics are perfect for me

as for your little piece at the end, there is a lot of co-ordination involved, for example, when i was coming to a roundabout, i found it difficult to slow down, clutch, change gears, check to my right and signal all at the same time
    Littleali wrote:
    automatics may have been more expensive back in the days, but now, there is very little difference in price

and i dont find them limiting, they get me from A to B which is all i want/need

good for your aunt, i however can`t afford to take loads of manual lessons and loads of tests, i need to be on the road quickly with as little money spent as possible, which is why automatics are perfect for me
    I think you are being very defeatist in your attitude. A lot of people take that length of time / money to pass their test and I don't think your problem is due to your 'lack of co-ordination.' But meh. Do what you like.
    Littleali wrote:
    as for your little piece at the end, there is a lot of co-ordination involved, for example, when i was coming to a roundabout, i found it difficult to slow down, clutch, change gears, check to my right and signal all at the same time

Then that tells me you are not ready to pass your test. It's practice that take that. In an automatic you need to slow down, check to your right and signal, whilst watching for all your other hazards. The whole clutch and gear change is extremely minimal in driving a roundabout. I think you are just making an excuse.
    I think you are being very defeatist in your attitude. A lot of people take that length of time / money to pass their test and I don't think your problem is due to your 'lack of co-ordination.' But meh. Do what you like.
    look, there are somethings in life that you`re never gonna get the hang of, for me that thing is manual cars...

like i have already said, i dont have the time or the money to waste on manual cars right now

maybe once i`ve been on the road in an automatic for a while, and i have my confidence on the road, i`ll go back to trying in a manual, as then my financial situation may have changed, but at the moment, i`m happy in my automatic and i dont see why you`re getting so uppity about it, lots of people drive automatic cars
    Then that tells me you are not ready to pass your test. It's practice that take that. In an automatic you need to slow down, check to your right and signal, whilst watching for all your other hazards. The whole clutch and gear change is extremely minimal in driving a roundabout. I think you are just making an excuse.
    why would i make an excuse?

why would i choose to drive an automatic if i thought i could drive a manual?
    If you don't drive a manual because there are too many things to think about and you can't manage more than one thing at once then you probably shouldn't be driving.

If you need to pass fast for some reason or other then go with the automatic.
    If you don't drive a manual because there are too many things to think about and you can't manage more than one thing at once then you probably shouldn't be driving.

If you need to pass fast for some reason or other then go with the automatic.
    of course i can manage more than one thing at a time, otherwise i wouldnt be taking lessons and doing well

i just find it difficult to use my clutch, change gears, slow down, check all directions AND indicate at the same time

which is why i use an automatic as i only have to slow down, look and put my indicator on rather than have to worry about my clutch and gears :)
    Same here except I spent much much more than that.

I'm going to re-try in the summer.

:thumb:

TBH It scares me that people are on the road on that basis