Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

going to the gym

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I am being a bit of a thread whore here...sorry!
Thought it was best to just do a separate one.

I went to the gym last night, and I have pulled something in my back. Not sure exactly how, but my guess is the rowing machine. I was pushing myself a lot harder than normal.

Anywhoo, Do you think i just have today off and not go, or do you think it will do me good? I'd like to go, as I'm going away tomorrow morning, and therefore won't be able to go again until Monday, and Im getting quite into it.

Also, I have been eating ok, but excersing loads but dont feel any slimmer in the slightest, due to which I am feeling quite hard done by! Why is this? and will I notice something soon?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you've damaged something, you should rest. It won't hurt you to not go until monday.

Yes you will notice something soon, however, what might happen is you won't ever get smaller, you'll just change fat to muscle and look better.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    if you've damaged something, you should rest. It won't hurt you to not go until monday.

Yes you will notice something soon, however, what might happen is you won't ever get smaller, you'll just change fat to muscle and look better.
    Change fat to muscle, thats new to me.

Bunny you should have rest days anyway. Thats the only way you recover between excersise. Dont risk another strain, take a rest.

Dont overdo excersise either. People think the more you do the more you lose. If your burning to many calories there most likly coming from muscle rather than fat.
  • Options
    Monday is AGES away, and I will probably fall out with my willpower hehe! what about swimming? (i can only do front and back crawl...dont have the co-ordination for breast stroke hehe!) do you think that will aggravate it?
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Monday is AGES away, and I will probably fall out with my willpower hehe! what about swimming? (i can only do front and back crawl...dont have the co-ordination for breast stroke hehe!) do you think that will aggravate it?
    Probably. You do realise that a lay off will do you more good than carrying on, you will feel more energetic have more will power.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Probably. You do realise that a lay off will do you more good than carrying on, you will feel more energetic have more will power.
    ok, i am being stubborn. Ill not go! I just want the weight to fly off me...and it wont while i am sat on my arse at home lol!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    ok, i am being stubborn. Ill not go! I just want the weight to fly off me...and it wont while i am sat on my arse at home lol!
    A low calorie diet sheds fat, not excersise.
  • Options
    bollocks!

you don't lose weight just by changing what you eat, you need to exercise to burn off the calories.
  • Options
    bollocks!

you don't lose weight just by changing what you eat, you need to exercise to burn off the calories.
    No you dont. :)
  • Options
    go on then, show us the evidence.

you're basically saying you can lose weight by sitting on your arse and eating healthy. rubbish.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    No you dont. :)
    well i do, as i have been on diets before and nowt has happened. so exercise has always helped.
  • Options
    go on then, show us the evidence.

you're basically saying you can lose weight by sitting on your arse and eating healthy. rubbish.
    Oh right. :)

Cutting your calories below maintiance will shed bodyfat, not excersise.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I thought you were a student at Loughborough, so I hope you worded that in the wrong way :p
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Oh right. :)

Cutting your calories below maintiance will shed bodyfat, not excersise.

like i said, evidence please.

and learn to spell. :thumb:
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    I thought you were a student at Loughborough, so I hope you worded that in the wrong way :p

doesn't mean she studies sports. :confused:
  • Options

I thought I read somewhere in the past that she did, maybe i'm wrong...
  • Options
    eating clean will lose the lbs of fat.
    so yes, you can sit on your arse doing sweet F all and still lose weight.

If you exercise with only cardio, you'll lose muscle as well as lbs.

do some weights combined with a clean diet and you'll improve muscles, increase speed of fat loss and feel better.

oh, you want proof? go read pretty much most threads in the beginner section of www.menshealth.co.uk/talk
  • Options
    The key is that you have to expend more energy than you take in. So if you have a slow metabolism you're unlikely to lose a load of weight by sitting around, you'd need to make your body do stuff to use up the calories. That's physics for you.
  • Options
    like i said, evidence please.

and learn to spell. :thumb:
    Studies?

How about common sense? The metabolism burns calories, excersise helps. I'm also living prove, I was out 3 weeks with a bad back and didn't do any excersise at all, I stuck with my low calorie diet as the metabolism sheds fat.
  • Options
    Fiend does at uni.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    HIT wrote:
    Fiend does at uni.

No she doesn't. She's an engineer. She does sports as extra curricular.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    The key is that you have to expend more energy than you take in. So if you have a slow metabolism you're unlikely to lose a load of weight by sitting around, you'd need to make your body do stuff to use up the calories. That's physics for you.
    A calorie deflict diet will start using fat for energy, one must find the correct calorific range first.

As an example, a 2500cal diet with cardio will burn fat. A 2000cal diet without cardio will burn fat.

Cardio can be benefical if you want to eat slightly more. Low intensity cardio plays its part in using oxygen to metabolize fat, but nothing much.
  • Options
    No she doesn't. She's an engineer. She does sports as extra curricular.
    I thought she told me before she done it at uni.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I thought she told me before she done it at uni.
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that she's an engineer (can't remember if it's mechanical or chemical though ... )
  • Options
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that she's an engineer (can't remember if it's mechanical or chemical though ... )
    Im not getting into debt over it, Im only going by what I thought she posted once.
  • Options
    Ah, tis mechanical engineering.

Knew it was one of the 2 ;)
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Change fat to muscle, thats new to me.

Putting it crudely. I never got thinner by excercising, I shed fat as quickly as I built up muscle though.

ETA: In fact, before long I went up a size
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Putting it crudely. I never got thinner by excercising, I shed fat as quickly as I built up muscle though.

ETA: In fact, before long I went up a size
    Which makes sense as the more muscle tisue you have the higher the metabolism. If thats what you meant.
  • Options
    No, I meant that she wouldn't necessarily feel slimmer. Because she wouldn't necessarily change size.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, I meant that she wouldn't necessarily feel slimmer. Because she wouldn't necessarily change size.
    thats a bit of a bugger! :(
  • Options
    *shrugs* It's not true for all people. TBH i much prefer a toned body to a skinny one, and I can most definately tell the difference. (women btw, because with boys it's much more obvious)